Notices

Opinions requested: Supertech pistons for boosted D16Z6.. Whadoyathink?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Opinions requested: Supertech pistons for boosted D16Z6.. Whadoyathink?

My searches for some new forgies has turned up many well known names; Arias, Wiseco, JE... I happened to stumble across a single thread 7 years old inquiring about Supertech pistons for Honda.. I got to looking and found a set for 423 shipped; 75.5mm and 10.5:1 compression. The CR makes me a tad nervous but I could easily just add a thicker headgasket to bring it down a bit. Anywho.. Anyone run, ran, or know someone who has used these pistons? 3 out of 5 builders will recommend supertech valvetrain, how about pistons?
Old 09-29-2018, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supertech pistons for boost

Running some numbers through zealworks, I can bring my compression down to about 10:1 with a .050 head gasket. I wanted to set up for higher numbers on my next build but the engine went **** up before I was ready... My current build is near 10.5:1 and did well til I discovered the piston's weakness. It wasn't due to the tune or detonation, this was pure mechanical catastrophe. I'd feel more comfy running 10:1 for a 500hp build.. Thoughts?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:25 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Re: Opinions requested: Supertech pistons for boosted D16Z6.. Whadoyathink?

Just get some "NO-notch" pistons from Speedfactory Racing. They raise the C/R a bit higher than stock and comes in 75.5mm too. I have them in my current build.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions requested: Supertech pistons for boosted D16Z6.. Whadoyathink?

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Just get some "NO-notch" pistons from Speedfactory Racing. They raise the C/R a bit higher than stock and comes in 75.5mm too. I have them in my current build.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the ST's so I'll look into it. After a good deal of searching, I found the 8.8 1 supers. Takes my comp MUCH lower than I really want it, but again, a few things I can do to bring it up a tad. If I wanted 8's, I'd run Vitaras. Lol!
Old 10-01-2018, 02:35 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the ST's so I'll look into it. After a good deal of searching, I found the 8.8 1 supers. Takes my comp MUCH lower than I really want it, but again, a few things I can do to bring it up a tad. If I wanted 8's, I'd run Vitaras. Lol!
oops. That's what I meant. haha. My bad, man. I meant to say Vitara YCP pistons. Not sure why I was thinking about the no-notch rods.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
oops. That's what I meant. haha. My bad, man. I meant to say Vitara YCP pistons. Not sure why I was thinking about the no-notch rods.
Lol, no worries. I did a quick search and saw Vitaras are what you're referring to.. I've not met my coffee quota yet this morning. I planned manley/vitara in the beginning but could not find the custom length rod and piston combo at that time for less than my first born. Everyone was on backorder. I guess the custom lengths were still new-ish? Dunno, but availability was EXTREMELY limited, and the vendors that did have them were selling the set in the high 900 range.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Personally I like Wiseco if you go forged. The machine shop I used to work at put them in everything. They make a real nice piston and they're usually pretty quiet in operation.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I personally liked CP pistons the best, I've run Arias, CP, Wiseco and the CP lasted a long time in my motor.

CP Pistons Honda Civic Del Sol D16Z6 D16Y7 75mm STD -3.25 cc 10.5:1
Old 10-03-2018, 07:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Aradin
Personally I like Wiseco if you go forged. The machine shop I used to work at put them in everything. They make a real nice piston and they're usually pretty quiet in operation.
Co-sign
Old 10-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sooooo.. Supertechs are bad?
Old 10-04-2018, 03:10 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Lol, no worries. I did a quick search and saw Vitaras are what you're referring to.. I've not met my coffee quota yet this morning. I planned manley/vitara in the beginning but could not find the custom length rod and piston combo at that time for less than my first born. Everyone was on backorder. I guess the custom lengths were still new-ish? Dunno, but availability was EXTREMELY limited, and the vendors that did have them were selling the set in the high 900 range.
You can get them from Speedfactory and they should be back in stock. I was going to opt for Eagle rods but for $459 shipped (YCP pistons, no-notch rods, rings), I couldn't complain.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:06 AM

Sooooo.. Supertechs are bad?
Originally Posted by Aradin
Originally Posted by TheShodan
Co-sign
Basically we're saying if you going to swap pistons, use Wiseco, as it has the best options available for your (Compression ratio, individual part support, customer support, better forging materials for less possibility of Piston slap, etc)
All the things that you need to think in advance for if ever something went wrong (God-forbid) you can get on your feet faster.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Basically we're saying if you going to swap pistons, use Wiseco, as it has the best options available for your (Compression ratio, individual part support, customer support, better forging materials for less possibility of Piston slap, etc)
All the things that you need to think in advance for if ever something went wrong (God-forbid) you can get on your feet faster.
Pistons are most definitely getting swapped. No choice! I REFUSE to put cast back in though. Already went toe to toe with the wife on that. Lol!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Txdragon, Vitara's ARE cast pistons. The Supertech pistons are 4032 Alloy... they can handle 125 HP each and expand less than 2618 Alloy pistons, so you can run them tighter and thus have a quieter running engine. Wiseco utilizes both alloys, so make sure you verify the particular alloy for the selected part number so that your machine shop can set the P2W clearance correctly. CP and JE pistons are all 2618 Alloy... stronger if you intend to make more than 500 HP, but need more clearance because they will expand when heated.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

I have had experience with ALL of the above mentioned forged pistons... and any of them will be a great choice. The advantage of the Supertech pistons is they are cheaper than all others listed... the Wiseco, CP and JE's will all be excellent choices, but cost at least a "hondo" more than the Supertech's.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
I have had experience with ALL of the above mentioned forged pistons... and any of them will be a great choice. The advantage of the Supertech pistons is they are cheaper than all others listed... the Wiseco, CP and JE's will all be excellent choices, but cost at least a "hondo" more than the Supertech's.
But IMHO and experience , worth the extra "Hondo"..
Old 10-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Txdragon, Vitara's ARE cast pistons. The Supertech pistons are 4032 Alloy... they can handle 125 HP each and expand less than 2618 Alloy pistons, so you can run them tighter and thus have a quieter running engine. Wiseco utilizes both alloys, so make sure you verify the particular alloy for the selected part number so that your machine shop can set the P2W clearance correctly. CP and JE pistons are all 2618 Alloy... stronger if you intend to make more than 500 HP, but need more clearance because they will expand when heated.
Wiseco doesn't offer anything higher than 8.5:1 compression and that's disappointing. Think I saw some 8.8 somewhere, but they were out of stock. SRP, CP, and Supertech are my leading choices. Supertech for better cost, CP and SRP for stronger backed piston.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The orange 600whp intergra here on the forum uses supertech pistons.
So yes for a Z6 they are perfect.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
The orange 600whp intergra here on the forum uses supertech pistons.
So yes for a Z6 they are perfect.
But think about it, OG, Triple, triple. . Just because the car can make 600whp, doesn't mean that the piston composition is correct for his daily abuse needs. I always chuckle when people use POWER, based upon drag racing or a dyno to determine strength and longevity of a component. Dynos are a hamster treadmill and don't necessarily represent the actual reality of the activities of the builder/user of that product. (Yes, I know, but it is the best marketing tool to use in order to sell parts.. Let's not kid ourselves).

I've seen plenty of 600whp dyno hamster-wheel combinations that do well that day. And even moreso on a drag strip, where the abuse is limited to a few seconds. Try that on a cold/hot day for daily use, or over 3-5 years, with variations of tuning adjustments, and other variables, and those same 600whp hamster-wheel sessions, turn into a pile of shredded metal when put to daily use.

I'm not suggesting at all that Supertech is a "bad" company, or possesses a "bad" design of piston. I'm just trying to show people that there is a bigger picture in the long run when it comes to these choices (and yes, price is but only one factor in those choices), and not just power, that's all.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look man that was exactly my point. Right now supertech and mahle if i remember correct are the only two companies that offer the
4032 material pistons that are good for daily driving.
Half VW group oem turbocharged cars come with this metalurgy piston from the factory.
I would deffinately trust 4032 for 100whp per piston.
Our friend did 50% more so yes.
That would be my piston on a daily driven d16 that wont see 500 to the tyre anyway without race gas or a super uncomfodable but
low backpressure sized turbo
Old 10-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I still vote CP LOL.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks folks, NOW we're getting somewhere! The next setup, I planned to build for 600, and tune between 400-500. Car is MOSTLY daily driven. It's not my sole daily driver, but is the car I drive the most, if that makes sense? I've also got a 2015 Hyundai and 01 Eclipse. I throw the Civic in the rotation when I need to get somewhere hastily or feel like prowling the streets.
I'm about 95% certain my current pistons split due to valve contact, so i've discounted setup (partially) or anything tune-related. I feel this would not have happened if I had any of the 3 piston brands I'm currently looking at.
Shodan is on point with needing to take daily abuses into account at mid-level power points. I'm all about saving a few bucks when I can but I'm cautious on these because damn, I don't wanna spend 600 and crack another because my stupid timing belt jumps and I dont want to have to worry about cracking one IF that were to happen again..
Old 10-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I still vote CP LOL.
Cp are stronger yes

Old 10-05-2018, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks folks, NOW we're getting somewhere! The next setup, I planned to build for 600, and tune between 400-500. Car is MOSTLY daily driven. It's not my sole daily driver, but is the car I drive the most, if that makes sense? I've also got a 2015 Hyundai and 01 Eclipse. I throw the Civic in the rotation when I need to get somewhere hastily or feel like prowling the streets.
I'm about 95% certain my current pistons split due to valve contact, so i've discounted setup (partially) or anything tune-related. I feel this would not have happened if I had any of the 3 piston brands I'm currently looking at.
Shodan is on point with needing to take daily abuses into account at mid-level power points. I'm all about saving a few bucks when I can but I'm cautious on these because damn, I don't wanna spend 600 and crack another because my stupid timing belt jumps and I dont want to have to worry about cracking one IF that were to happen again..
D series heads are almost like normal car heads. They like water mehanol A LOT on big boost. Ive seen its greatness with the european 150cfm head cars
If you really want high numbers id go for cp or whatever 2618 pistons you choose.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Look man that was exactly my point. Right now supertech and mahle if i remember correct are the only two companies that offer the
4032 material pistons that are good for daily driving.
Half VW group oem turbocharged cars come with this metalurgy piston from the factory.
I would deffinately trust 4032 for 100whp per piston.
Our friend did 50% more so yes.
That would be my piston on a daily driven d16 that wont see 500 to the tyre anyway without race gas or a super uncomfodable but
low backpressure sized turbo
Agreed. Glad you added this second post to clarify your reasoning with material alloys.

Quick Reply: Opinions requested: Supertech pistons for boosted D16Z6.. Whadoyathink?