Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Uphill difficulty.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Uphill difficulty.

Hey guys, ok, so I have a problem, and can't seem to find it on google.

My 95 civic has trouble going uphill. It revs high, and moves about as fast as a 1mph. Thats when I completely stop midway through the hill at a stop sign, then try to proceed. ha, kinda funny, but really irritating knowing i wont survive on hills. My friends suggest buying a new clutch and tranny. Do you honda experts have any ideas on what I can do? I just got my tax return, and now its going on repairs woopeee. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:39 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Uphill difficulty.

Are you saying that you really have to rev the **** out of it and slip the clutch to get it moving on a hill?

Sounds like a bad clutch to me. Honda manual transmissions don't really fail a whole lot. I mean, people have problems, but they're usually grinding problems. They don't typically fail in the way you're describing. A clutch does though.

Do you know how long ago the clutch was replaced?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im with Vindicator, sounds like a clutch problem to me. Also plan on either replacing your flywheel or at the very least having it resurfaced. From what it sounds like this is an ongoing problem and it is sure to be hot spotted and heat cracked.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take vindicator's advice he's pretty good.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah vindicator, I rev damn high just to be moving a tiny bit hah, it sucks when you got a lady in yo ride, and your revin like an animal just to be movin like a snail. And I have no idea on when it was last replaced, but im now gonna look into it. Any suggestions on where I should buy a new clutch? or What kind for my 95 civ? I'm going to make hills my best friend. hahaha

//edit: Would something like this be what im looking for? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/exedy...RCHQ3aUSQ3a101
Old 01-30-2010, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm with the Vindicator as well.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:09 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by Dumbo
Yeah vindicator, I rev damn high just to be moving a tiny bit hah, it sucks when you got a lady in yo ride, and your revin like an animal just to be movin like a snail. And I have no idea on when it was last replaced, but im now gonna look into it. Any suggestions on where I should buy a new clutch? or What kind for my 95 civ? I'm going to make hills my best friend. hahaha

//edit: Would something like this be what im looking for? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/exedy...RCHQ3aUSQ3a101
Yep, that looks right. I've bought clutches off of ebay before with no problems. Exedy is a good brand for OE replacement. As long as you stick with them or another decent name brand, you'll be golden.

Are you planning on doing the job yourself? What's your skill level? A clutch isn't exactly a beginner's job. It's not *incredibly* hard, but it does require taking a lot of stuff apart.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, well I found a better price off amazon for about 70 something, so ordered that. Should come in 2 weeks tops. As for the installation, my race team friends want to install it and make a diy. So ill let them have a crack at it. My level is begginer btw ha, so having others who are a bit more up there do it seems like a cheaper and better way to do it.

Thanks again for your help vindicator and everyone!