Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch problems...hopefully not transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems...hopefully not transmission help

I don't know whether the problem I am experiencing is a clutch problem or transmission problem.

Here are the symptoms: when the clutch is in it is very difficult to get the car in gear. I have to pull very hard sometimes. Sometimes it is as easy as new, very inconsistent symptom. Second symptom: when I come to a stop with the clutch in the car still feels like it wants to move foward. It lurches a little a couple of times and then it might stall or jerk really hard and then idles fine. Once again this happens on occasion, not a consistent symptom. Third symptom: when coming out of first the car feels like I just learned how to drive a manual again. Sometimes the clutch won't engage fully and it lurches a lot. This too is an inconsistent symptom.

My feel is that the clutch is not engaging properly, and when it does it feels like it is sticking. I know very little about transmissions and clutches, so this is just how I feel. Any ideas on what my problem(s) are would be a big help. I had to replace the clutch in my other Civic, but the symptoms were really different so I am perplexed....Thanks all....
Old 11-21-2001, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch problems...hopefully not transmission help (taytay_333)

that is your clutch, unfortunately i had the same problem as you. after the clutch was taken out and we saw that it was glazed. i wouldn't drive the car anymore with it like that if i were you b/c that could mess up your tranny. get a new clutch. u know what they say "if its broken upgrade it"
Old 11-21-2001, 10:30 AM

if I had to take a guess with my limited knowledge of transmission and clutch parts, I would say that this is symptomatic of a warped pressure plate or flywheel. This would cause your friction plate to have uneven wear.
With the surfaces of the clutch being uneven it would explain, to me, why you are having occasionaly problems like you explain.

HTH
Old 11-21-2001, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input. I was planning on upgrading the clutch when I replace it. I put a Neuspeed N2 sport clutch on my old civic and loved it. What are recommendations do you all have for after market clutches. Are there better ones than Neuspeed?
Old 11-21-2001, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the "lurching" is normal.

when was the last time you changed you tranny fluid....that will ease shifting.
Old 11-21-2001, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch problems...hopefully not transmission help (DragIIcivic)

I just got the car so I have not changed the tranny fluid and don't know all the service records of it. The lurching is normal? My other civic did not do this and I have never been in a car that does. Maybe I did not explain myself well....