Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo questions on a d-series

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo questions on a d-series

Ok, bare with me, Im a newbie when it comes to Honda's. I've tinkered around with the 1st gen DSM's for years but this Honda game has left me with questions, and trust me I've searched.

For starters, I've heard through the grapevine a dsm exhaust mani would bolt up to a honda head, is this true and will it bolt up to a y7? If not whats the cheapest, best bang for the buck turbo ex mani money can buy when using a t-25. I already know I can get an adapter plate from Homemadeturbo.com

Second, what on earth is charge piping? I see all these posts about turbo kits coming with a charge pipe, not sure what that is.

Third, I have some 450's laying around the garage, are these strictly bolt on's using the y7 fuel rail and head? Is the stock FPR able to be utilized? I plan on using the FMU to control fuel. Is a aftermarket fuel pump necessary?

I only plan on boosting 5-6 psi on the stock y7, Im assuming this is safe. My question is though is it beneficial to have a y8 intake mani or can i stick with the y7 intake mani. As far as plumbing goes it would be easier to have the y8 intake mani but if i dont need it thats fine.

While we are on the subject of y8 ex mani, why is it necessary to have a y8 auto mani? And this IACV, not to sure what it is, my guess (idle air control valve?). Anyway, whats the big deal between it on the y7's and the y8's and why does everyone make such a big deal out of it when swapping manifolds?

As far as the current componets I have for my turbo setup they include:
t25
1g bov
450 cc inj
fmic
And im going to buy the fmu and piping here soon, I just need some help from you guys.

1g dsm's were never complicated, just strictly bolt on your junk and go. Im hoping this is how my turbo project turns out to be but some of these posts ive been reading over have me worried. Can someone shoot me some tips and hints and answer my ques please. I really appreciatte it!!

Modified by drewboy at 11:12 PM 12/18/2004
Old 12-18-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Turbo questions on a d-series (drewboy)

Here's a site right up your alley: http://turbod16.com

Old 12-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drewboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, bare with me, Im a newbie when it comes to Honda's. I've tinkered around with the 1st gen DSM's for years but this Honda game has left me with questions, and trust me I've searched.

For starters, I've heard through the grapevine a dsm exhaust mani would bolt up to a honda head, is this true and will it bolt up to a y7? If not whats the cheapest, best bang for the buck turbo ex mani money can buy when using a t-25. I already know I can get an adapter plate from Homemadeturbo.com

I didnt really hear about that, but i heard you could use the top part of a CX (i believe thats what it was) mani and itll fit. Honestly just get a mani made for your engine, its not to expensive.

Second, what on earth is charge piping? I see all these posts about turbo kits coming with a charge pipe, not sure what that is.

Charge pipe is just the pipe that goes directly to your TB, you know the pipe you normally would put a BOV on

Third, I have some 440's laying around the garage, are these strictly bolt on's using the y7 fuel rail and head? Is the stock FPR able to be utilized? I plan on using the FMU to control fuel. Is a aftermarket fuel pump necessary?

I run DSM 440s, you dont really need them for a small set up, but if you get one upgrade the fuel pump. If you chip with Uberdata or Hondata dont waste money with FMU's. But if you plan on VAFC then get one. This site should help you on how to install the 440's if you still want to
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/t....html

I only plan on boosting 5-6 psi on the stock y7, Im assuming this is safe. My question is though is it beneficial to have a y8 intake mani or can i stick with the y7 intake mani. As far as plumbing goes it would be easier to have the y8 intake mani but if i dont need it thats fine.

5 to 6 psi isnt alot, and its pretty safe being stock. I cant really answer the y8 question though, sorry

While we are on the subject of y8 ex mani, why is it necessary to have a y8 auto mani? And this IACV, not to sure what it is, my guess (idle air control valve?). Anyway, whats the big deal between it on the y7's and the y8's and why does everyone make such a big deal out of it when swapping manifolds?

see above, sorry

As far as the current componets I have for my turbo setup they include:
t25
1g bov
440 cc inj
fmic
And im going to buy the fmu and piping here soon, I just need some help from you guys.

Your also going to need a missing link, and some kind of fuel management, even a VAFC

1g dsm's were never complicated, just strictly bolt on your junk and go. Im hoping this is how my turbo project turns out to be but some of these posts ive been reading over have me worried. Can someone shoot me some tips and hints and answer my ques please. I really appreciatte it!!

Honda's are 100% different from DSM's because they didnt come stock turbo like DSM's, so theres a little more to them. Heres 2 sites that will help you alot with building a turbo honda, good luck and research is always the key

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=268110

http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yele....html

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-18-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Turbo questions on a d-series (Luserkid)

CX or HF manifold works with an adapter.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo questions on a d-series (Eee Pee)

Luserkid and Eepee, I cannot thankyou enough. Loserkid, that information was more then enough , I really appreciatte it! Im checking out the turbo d series website right now.

Now I just need to do my research on missing link, uberdata and all that jazz. If I have any other ques you mind if I IM you guys?

Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:50 PM

Here are a few good sites

http://www.homemadeturbo.com
http://www.uberdata.com
Old 12-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drewboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Luserkid and Eepee, I cannot thankyou enough. Loserkid, that information was more then enough , I really appreciatte it! Im checking out the turbo d series website right now.

Now I just need to do my research on missing link, uberdata and all that jazz. If I have any other ques you mind if I IM you guys?

Thanks again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not at all, glad to help.

Honestly i would go with Uberdata, that way it would get ried of the need for FMU, and Missing link. But you just need to make sure shops around you know how to tune with it, if not try Hondata (a little more pricey).
Old 12-18-2004, 11:21 PM

Do it big in Texas!
Old 12-18-2004, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also just FYI, the VX exhaust manifold could also be used
Old 12-18-2004, 11:49 PM

Default Re: (ntogethernow)

Also the HF mani.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Trial User)

Once again, thanks so much guys! A few more ques:

I hear alot about this uberdata. Whats needed to run uberdata? I tried going to the website that trialuser posted but it was a faulty link.

Theres so many abbreviations being thrown at me that Im kinda lost. I see I can use a HF and a VX ex mani. I have a CX. What models are the HF & VX? (Also any other trim models you can help me out with would be great)

Im also lost when it comes to OBD0, OBD1 AND OBD2. I know the basics like its much easier for bolt ons to be accepted in the obd0&1 vehicles then the obd2 vehicles, but what is the purpose of swapping obd2 to obd1 etc? I think this is the most confusing issue for me so far.

Another thing that has me confused, all these different model ECU's. P this and P that, one being obd1 and having to swap out with an obd2 ecu yadda yadda yadda, Ive tried searching just for some basic info but im not getting anywhere, can you shoot me a link to some of the basic ecu's used for certain projects? And a chipped ECU, is that just an ECU with an EPROM (re-writeable chip)? As you can see Im clueless so far. Respond when you guys have the time.

Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Re: (drewboy)

did turbo d16 get hacked?
Old 12-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drewboy)

pm'yed ya a list of all the ECu's
Old 12-20-2004, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the HF is a crx and the vx was a 92-95 civic hatch
Old 12-21-2004, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did turbo d16 get hacked?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i tried to get on that site today and i couldnt