Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo PSI q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turbo PSI q's

I already asked this in the FI forum as well but thought i would ask here because of greater user traffic in hopes of more responces.

I just built a motor for boost and got it running and boosted a lil bit over a month ago. I am currently running with a 10.15 spring in a tial 38mm WG and when it was tuned at 9.5psi making 306whp. I am looking to bump up the pressure to maybe 12psi but possibly more. my question is what is safe to run on a gsr w/ ls pistons, crank and rods, all arp fasteners with a t3/t04e .54 trim turbo? i would like to get as close to 350whp as possible and still be safe. i have read around on the forum alot and 12psi seems to be my point where i should stop. thanks for the input.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo PSI q's

PSI doesn't mean anything, every turbo is different. Along with every turbo being different, every engine is different. No one can tell you how many psi or how much hp you can make, without blowing up your engine. Get the car dyno tuned, and find out how many psi you'll be running, if you really want to know. If you don't have any proper engine management, if you don't get it properly tuned, and you simply increase the boost, your engine will be toast.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
PSI doesn't mean anything, every turbo is different. Along with every turbo being different, every engine is different. No one can tell you how many psi or how much hp you can make, without blowing up your engine. Get the car dyno tuned, and find out how many psi you'll be running, if you really want to know. If you don't have any proper engine management, if you don't get it properly tuned, and you simply increase the boost, your engine will be toast.

Don't get me wrong your right about every engine and turbo are different and respond differently to different psi (lots of differences right there). But he tells you the turbo and the engine he's running so you can give him a ball park figure of how much he can push. From other's I have seen and heard most don't push more then 15 - 16 psi (ofcourse theres no exact number) on stock internals. Now someone will say "my buddy joe ran 21 psi on his for 3 years!!!" or whatever but reliably I wouldn't pass that. I would stick with that 10 psi spring. Just get a boost controller and change it when you want to. Always a risk.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a rough estimate, you'll need more like 13-14psi of boost to make 350whp. However, I didn't look at a compressor map for your turbo, so I'm guessing with the efficiencies. I couldn't tell you if the engine will hold it or not.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
I already asked this in the FI forum as well but thought i would ask here because of greater user traffic in hopes of more responces.

I just built a motor for boost and got it running and boosted a lil bit over a month ago. I am currently running with a 10.15 spring in a tial 38mm WG and when it was tuned at 9.5psi making 306whp. I am looking to bump up the pressure to maybe 12psi but possibly more. my question is what is safe to run on a gsr w/ ls pistons, crank and rods, all arp fasteners with a t3/t04e .54 trim turbo? i would like to get as close to 350whp as possible and still be safe. i have read around on the forum alot and 12psi seems to be my point where i should stop. thanks for the input.
this is a question for whoever tuned your car, i hope you're not running an untuned car, not very smart, anyway your tuner would have the best answer for this question since they know what specs you have and all that.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car was completely dynotuned on neptune on a dynapack dyno by a professional and certified tuner. the guy has a vitara setup on 30psi making 500whp so i know he knows what hes doing. im sure i could push about 14psi and get my goal. i know each turbo is different and the psi isnt the main concern, but most everyone is running a t3/t4 setup on their stock motors. looking for some experinced replies. I will be going to a GM 3 basemap more then likely