Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo or motor swap? whats better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo or motor swap? whats better?

Ok here's a question that alot of people may have asked? So what is better: A turbo charged single cam or a full motor swap with a b16? i plan on keeping it a daily driver and keep the a/c. btw the car is a 98 civic dx hatch. I plan on doing one of these this summer so all info would be appreciated.

I tried searching already
Old 03-14-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (h22xcivic)

It's personal preferece. I choose motor swap. You're making more power than your single cam did and its still a completely stock motor, which tend to be reliable and easy to find parts for.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (Slurp56)

if im correct a full turbo set-up for a single cam runs around 1200 and a motor swap runs around 1800-2000 installed. i can use the extra money to build my internals. does anyone know what kind of power gains i can get froma turbo setup?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (Slurp56)

It's all up to the person. A turbo single cam will make more whp and tq than a stock b16. A turbo d can stay under 1500$. And tunning will make it reliable.
Turbo D
Old 03-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

more time than money? = turbo
more money than time? = swap

more knowledge/experience in working on cars = turbo
less knowlege/experience = swap
Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">more time than money? = turbo
more money than time? = swap
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sig-worthy, dude.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

Its all up to you rili, i was in the same situation a few weeks ago.

but i came to a conclusion that IF i go with a swap n the swap doesnt go smoothly god knows how long my car is going to be sittin in my garage, it can be due to damaged parts or its missing a part n such but dont get me wrong the are some swaps that have go without problems but do u have a second car to drive if the swap goes bad?

but before you do anything to your car set some goals like how much hp n tq u wanna make, what r u going to use the car for, are u in a tight budget or are ur pockets deep? things like that!

but going the turbo way is much easier n then money your going to spend on a swap can go towards making your engine stronger meaning u can run a higher boost level = more hp n tq

im not saying a turbo setup can go bad but its much cheaper n safer then going for a swap! n why waste such a awesome engine!! just wanted to put my .02 cents in because in the end its all rili up to you.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:40 PM

i just bought a 96 civic dx (d16y7) with a greddy turbo pre-installed. but they did not have all the right parts needed for a turbo to run correctly. All it had was the turbo the manifold and piping. I am finding myself dumping money into it. and it is still not as fast as i would like it to be, and it burns a lot of oil. but i admit i do not know so much about an engine swap.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (Msatterfield1988)

get a swap and if ur swapping b18 and up
Old 03-14-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (theb18c1)

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1
read and learn everything
there are SOHC turbos that make way more power than any swap
it's less money and you get to really learn about you car.
that's just my .02
Old 03-14-2007, 06:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22xcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok here's a question that alot of people may have asked? So what is better: A turbo charged single cam or a full motor swap with a b16? i plan on keeping it a daily driver and keep the a/c. btw the car is a 98 civic dx hatch. I plan on doing one of these this summer so all info would be appreciated.

I tried searching already </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm sorry but that last part about you searching already is complete bullshit

but since you're in california, and i love my fellow cali people, i'll give you some advice.

First off, there is no such thing as better, it is all subjective upon what positives you like in a car. Do you like a tame daily driver that can unleash hell when pissed off? An autocrosser? Dragster? show car?

you have to set your aims with the car, establish what the hell you want to do with it. Then, ******* milk these forums out of all they're worth and research till your eyes hurt. Before all these import tuner wannabes started ******* crowding this forum there was a lot of good stuff at honda-tech. but you're in luck ,most of the material is preserved in the archives

for me, a home made turbo kit is the way to go. Let me tell you something about a b16: it's ******* expensive and not worth it if you're not going to do anything but swap it in. Look at some stock b16 dyno plots and you'll know what i mean. Below 5k rpms, the d16's are and the b16's are completely the same. Even that 180 hp ctr motor that costs your left ball to swap in. D-blocks are cheap, a dime a dozen. Don't get your tune on that homemade turbo the first time and shoot a couple rods through your block? buy another one and do it again, and again, till you get it right. There is much more satisfaction in building your own kit, mowing dual cams over, and still having cash left over.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (daliumong)

but remeber if ur swaping b18 and up
Old 03-14-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (daliumong)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daliumong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'm sorry but that last part about you searching already is complete bullshit

but since you're in california, and i love my fellow cali people, i'll give you some advice.

First off, there is no such thing as better, it is all subjective upon what positives you like in a car. Do you like a tame daily driver that can unleash hell when pissed off? An autocrosser? Dragster? show car?

you have to set your aims with the car, establish what the hell you want to do with it. Then, ******* milk these forums out of all they're worth and research till your eyes hurt. Before all these import tuner wannabes started ******* crowding this forum there was a lot of good stuff at honda-tech. but you're in luck ,most of the material is preserved in the archives

for me, a home made turbo kit is the way to go. Let me tell you something about a b16: it's ******* expensive and not worth it if you're not going to do anything but swap it in. Look at some stock b16 dyno plots and you'll know what i mean. Below 5k rpms, the d16's are and the b16's are completely the same. Even that 180 hp ctr motor that costs your left ball to swap in. D-blocks are cheap, a dime a dozen. Don't get your tune on that homemade turbo the first time and shoot a couple rods through your block? buy another one and do it again, and again, till you get it right. There is much more satisfaction in building your own kit, mowing dual cams over, and still having cash left over.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well i'm one of those wannabe's, but a turbo set-up sounds right for me. I've seen b16 and b18 burn up and they are done and cost an arm and leg to repair.

Thanks for all the advice and i will start my build up thread this summer!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:42 PM

nitrous yo
Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (hondacivic995)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondacivic995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nitrous yo </TD></TR></TABLE>

nitrous is to dangerous IMO
Old 03-16-2007, 09:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22xcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nitrous is to dangerous IMO </TD></TR></TABLE>
not if you do it correctly. it can be allot of fun until it's time to get a refill
Old 03-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (95jeremie)

Since your in cali, your going to have problems with smog situations if you go turbo. Im not even sure if Greddy has one compatible with the y7 intake manifold. If you dont care about smog or getting pulled over and putting all your stuff back to stock for the REF then i say go for it and change the intake manifold as well. If your worried about getting busted swap and BAR a B. But like said personal perference.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (Luserkid)

To me its pointless to go from a D16 to a B16. I say boost or save for B18.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (haveaniceday)

i 2nd that, b18 or turbo i choose turbo for my d series but it helped my decision that i had a back up d if it blows
Old 03-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since your in cali, your going to have problems with smog situations if you go turbo. Im not even sure if Greddy has one compatible with the y7 intake manifold. If you dont care about smog or getting pulled over and putting all your stuff back to stock for the REF then i say go for it and change the intake manifold as well. If your worried about getting busted swap and BAR a B. But like said personal perference. </TD></TR></TABLE>

only thing im scared of are those damn pigs. i have a place that can pass smog, its those damn pigs im afraid of. i'm researching right now. hopefully i will geta thread going in a month or 2 for those who might want to do this turbo set-up also!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22xcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

only thing im scared of are those damn pigs. i have a place that can pass smog, its those damn pigs im afraid of. i'm researching right now. hopefully i will geta thread going in a month or 2 for those who might want to do this turbo set-up also!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep thats why i wouldn't want to go turbo on my y8...if i didnt live in CA i seriously would be boosting right now.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: turbo or motor swap? whats better? (bmoua)

stupid smog and pigs!!! they need to leave us alone....we are not harming anyone