Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo

ok i have a 93 civic dx... i was going to put a b16a2 in it but after thinking about it im going to go to u wrench it and get a d16... put the zc pistons in it... port polish the head... bore the block... and put a new cam in able to hold turbo... i also want to put the si tranny up to it... the im going to run turbo through it... i didnt know if the si tranny would work and what ever else... just tell me what you think about this set up and im open to any and all suggestions... thanks
Old 08-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: turbo (d16T3project)

Yeah, don't get a t3. It's a waste. Do some real research before you buy a turbine and compare the 50+ combinations to determine the right turbo for you. A t3 is a high horse, slow spool application which I only consider in twin turbo applications. T3's = weaksauce with civic application. get something that'll spool quicker and create an easier to tune and more even powerband.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Re: turbo (ek forever guy)

my brother had a t3 on his gsr and it was perfect... good boost and not alot of turbo lag. but like ek said... maybe a smaller turbo would be better.. all depends on your power goals.. what kind of numbers are you looking for? my friend has a stock audi turbo on his car and it runs pretty good. but its not crazy. soo yeah it really all depends on what you want. hope this helps you and good luck
Old 08-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: turbo (toekneexD)

word. I have seen some t3's do nicely depending on the tune. But different turbo's tune differently. Also see what others are using. Do some research to determine the powerband you want. Trust me, a good powerband is much faster than what peak power appears to be. A well tuned 250hp car with a nice powerband will be worlds faster than a 350hp car with a shitty band. There'in lies variables of traction/driver skill/and gearing but you get the idea.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:19 PM

well just to make sure the zc pistons are forged right?? but im hoping that with zc pistons... new cam for turbo... port polished head... and a si tranny then the turbo around 300+ hp is what im shooting for... what turbo do you think i should put on it? and also the turbo kit i was looking at cam with a new aluminum radiator... let me know... thanks guys
Old 08-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not positive on this...but i dont think any factory B/D series pistons are forged....if your going to put pistons in it drop a few more bucks and get some CP pistons. From past experience a t3/t4 turbo can be too big, i ran a t3 on my SOHC back in the day and didnt start build power untill half way through the RPM and didnt hit full boost untill about 1500-2000 rpm b4 rev limit. Just do some research while paying attention to actual seups people have tried and compare their outcomes. GL with the build

And as far as your tranny question...if the tranny is of a SOHC Si (92-98) it will work but if its off the B16a2 (99-00) then it wont bolt up
Old 08-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Ek Forever y0!

That's just what i'm saying. You need to do the research to see what best applies to your needs. HPDE, autox, road racing, drag racing. Or street legality/fun/reliability. I can't and shouldn't pick one for you.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:38 PM

well yeah thats what im working on right now im not doing it til begging of next summer so i have some time just trying to get some suggestions... what car comes with the tranny cause im goin to be using a d16 and i didnt know if the tranny would have to be hydrolic or cable or what im just trying to figure out the best way to go... thanks guys
Old 08-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Either tranny will be suitable for an F/I setup. If you can I would want to work out an LSD for that. I know a few guys that prefer Cable trannys but I don't know why, they seem to cause more problems. Take it easy on making decisions since you have a lot of time. Take notes and calculate how much it's all going to cost. Find shops that do piping work if you go home-made. Get a shopping list ready for when you have cash. Also have play money in case of an emergency. And of course, spend smart. School loans and car/house payments come first. But it's your priorites.