Old 12-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trunk Leak

EDIT:
Car:
'95 EX Coupe
//EDIT

Yeah I know this has been covered 10 million times but I'm having a problem involving like...water...and my trunk...

Now I do know (or hear, I suppose, I've never actually seen this) that the general leak problem for Hondas is in the tail light gasket(s). That's what's worrying me about this leak.

It's starting DEAD CENTER (trunk latch) on the floor (spare tire cover), the inside panel (that goes vertical from the trunk bottom to where the latch is) is BONE dry.

I don't get what the expletive is going on. It's filling up while stationary and while moving.

A bunch of my **** in the trunk got soaked, pulled it all out, everything (including electronics is ******* wet) and now it's raining some more. ******* goldfish bowl on 4 wheels.

It's starting at the rear of the spare tire cover and when it rains a lot (like right now) it'll just fill the expletive up. Fill the spare tire well 'n ****.

So what is it? I'm inclined to think it's typical honda tail light gasket problems, but the taillights have never been out (housings, removed) and it's just a weird place to be leaking...or maybe it just appears to be leaking that way, I don't know.

Also, is there any way I can get an aftermarket ******* spare tire cover or something for that thing? That card board piece of **** that comes with the car is sagging and I can't put **** on to of it and it's really starting to **** me the expletive off. In my probe I put a fitted sheet of ply wood in there and it looked like absolute **** b/c the spare tire hole acted as a fulcrum...

So with that said, now I have to vacuum all this water out tomorrow or the next day, or whenever the expletive it stops raining. Is there a drain plug in the spare tire well?

****** just when I thought everything was fixed.

-------------------------------------------------------

And for those of you who knew / posted in my coolant leakage problem, I couldn't update it b/c it got archived but I think I got the problem resolved. Pep boys pressure checked it and said everything was peachy, so when I got back to my home town I did the same thing at my friend's garage 'cept I pressure checked the **** outta it and finally got it to squirt, small crack at the bottom of the rad under very high pressure. Probably the reason it was burning so slow. Never seen a leak so slow in my life. Lost 3" in the reservoir over a 280 mile trip. Jeez.

--------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, so anybody who's got any info about my trunk, plz help, this ****'s depressing. I'ma open up one of those back set pools like the limos got, soon .

Old 01-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trunk Leak (Syndacate)

have you had someone take a hose and spray the back with water w/ you inside? if not try it i've found lots of leaks this way, good luck i know that **** can get very frustrating
Old 01-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trunk Leak (Throwdown)

Yeah I wanna try that but like...it's pouring outside, g2 wait on that, just wondering if anybody knew some **** about it now.

Stupid ****.

Anybody still know anything about an alternative to that gay *** cardboard piece of **** they give you for a spare tire cover? That thing sucks.

Please remember, I'm not building a drag car like most of you, or at least a car with upgrades, bone stock, it's my daily driver, can't afford for **** like this to be wrong .
Old 01-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take the hose idea, but while it's raining just go in the back, besides that might provide better results because the rain will naturally flow into the area that it's leaking from rather than a hose that may force water in from God knows where. 100 percent honest since I've had my car since may, aside from initally pulling up the carpet to make so there was no mold/water damage in the trunk, I have never pulled out or looked under the spare tire for a drain plug.

One half assed way to do it, my moms old car was leaking from somewhere. We pulled the spare tire and drilled holes in the bottom so the water would run back out, easy rigging way of doing things since we didn't really care about the car.

Another thing that may be a possibility; It happened on my Plymouth GranFury, was where the gas tank filler is, if the filler tube runs through the trunk you may be getting some in there when the water seeps around the gas cap cover. The other thing I'd look at is to make sure of course that the gasket around where the trunk lid rests is seated 100 percent the whole way around. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trunk Leak (bart2546)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bart2546 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd take the hose idea, but while it's raining just go in the back, besides that might provide better results because the rain will naturally flow into the area that it's leaking from rather than a hose that may force water in from God knows where. 100 percent honest since I've had my car since may, aside from initally pulling up the carpet to make so there was no mold/water damage in the trunk, I have never pulled out or looked under the spare tire for a drain plug.

One half assed way to do it, my moms old car was leaking from somewhere. We pulled the spare tire and drilled holes in the bottom so the water would run back out, easy rigging way of doing things since we didn't really care about the car.

Another thing that may be a possibility; It happened on my Plymouth GranFury, was where the gas tank filler is, if the filler tube runs through the trunk you may be getting some in there when the water seeps around the gas cap cover. The other thing I'd look at is to make sure of course that the gasket around where the trunk lid rests is seated 100 percent the whole way around. Hope this helps and good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, thanks.

It looks seated 100% around (the trunk gasket).

I just might go out there now and climb in the back, g2 see how badly it's raining. Though I have to say I'm rather annoyed, it's leaking at a small rate (small amount of rain won't leak in, neither will a medium, it's where it's pouring that **** starts filling up). Why the expletive are all my "leak" problems small as **** so I can't find 'em worth of **** .

Yeah, so I just got up and went to the door, it completely stopped raining, it's just like, ideal **** whether.

I have no problem getting the water out (6.5gal wet/dry vac = thx) but it's just a pain in the ******* *** and really a problem I don't need right now going into winter ;(.

Not to mention all the pipes to the outside are turned off for the winter (I just realized this) so I couldn't even do the hose thing if I wanted to (grrr...)

**** just keeps gettin better 'n better. I was just wondering about the drain plug, and if there's any damn alternative cover for the spare tire b/c the OEM one sucks donkey dick.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you have a spoiler? mine did this and it was the spoiler holes leaking
Old 01-01-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: (2coupes)

I dont have a spoiler and my ***** leaking too... its pissing me off. it poured all night here by the way so imabout to head out there with a bucket
Old 01-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2coupes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2coupes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have a spoiler? mine did this and it was the spoiler holes leaking</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, no spoiler, car never did have a spoiler.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Aside from making your own aftermarket wheel cover I don't THINK they have them made but then again there are airbag block off kits so I guess anything random is possible. JC whitney is always good for random **** like that, maybe try there.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bart2546)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bart2546 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aside from making your own aftermarket wheel cover I don't THINK they have them made but then again there are airbag block off kits so I guess anything random is possible. JC whitney is always good for random **** like that, maybe try there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Isn't that a POS company that makes ricer parts?

(I never heard of it outside the MCNastyHonda song x50).

I might fabricate my own when I get back to college where I have a machine shop at my disposal, just don't wanna deal with it though, rather buy one :-\ that works 'n **** .

Though that's totally second to the goldfish bowl in the trunk.

Night bump.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suspect the center upper portion of the trunk gasket (theres also the 'channel' that the water runs into and then down the sides--you'll see what I'm talking about when you open the trunk), or perhaps the center lower portion of the window. Another thing i'd check is the licsense plate mounting points.

A really cool idea to trace the leak, get a handful of glow sticks, crack them all and activate, then open them and pour all around the trunk area, whever it leaks it'll trail and you can identify the leak, do it in the dark and you dont need expensive UV fluids or a UV light! I'm sure the fluid isn't all that bad for anything it'll run over.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chrisw85)

i would pull the tail lights...and clean all the dirt and such off the gasket. i did that on my coupe and it worked fine.

but nothing is better than sitting in the trunk with someone spraying it with a hose

good luck man
Old 01-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92ehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92ehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would pull the tail lights...and clean all the dirt and such off the gasket. i did that on my coupe and it worked fine.

but nothing is better than sitting in the trunk with someone spraying it with a hose

good luck man</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess that's what I'll have to do, I'll do it when it clears up a bit (sometime today) :-\.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:49 AM

I had the same exact problem and was able to fix it by removing the tail lights, cleaning out the rubber seal and putting them back in and securing them tightly. I think they got loose enough to let some water into the trunk. You might also want to try using silicone sealent around the taillight gaskets to see if that will help.

If those things dont work.....then there are plugs under the tire that are rubber drain plugs. I removed mine and my trunk has been dry since then. I used to have water in there after a while and could never figure it out but once I removed those plugs, even through heavy rain my trunk stays dry! havent had the problem yet and I have had them off for about a year now!

Old 01-02-2007, 02:14 PM

i got in my trunk about an hour ago with my dad hitting the trunk lid with the hose. the leak was coming from some hole in the top of the trunk. not in the trunk lid but right next to it. the same hole is on the other side so its supposed to be there. i think theres a faulty seal between the lid and the frame.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: (D16Clunkin)

i think i have the same problem with mine, i might have to try that soon
Old 01-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Clunkin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got in my trunk about an hour ago with my dad hitting the trunk lid with the hose. the leak was coming from some hole in the top of the trunk. not in the trunk lid but right next to it. the same hole is on the other side so its supposed to be there. i think theres a faulty seal between the lid and the frame. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll keep that in mind when I mosey on in there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cwf1988 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same exact problem and was able to fix it by removing the tail lights, cleaning out the rubber seal and putting them back in and securing them tightly. I think they got loose enough to let some water into the trunk. You might also want to try using silicone sealent around the taillight gaskets to see if that will help.

If those things dont work.....then there are plugs under the tire that are rubber drain plugs. I removed mine and my trunk has been dry since then. I used to have water in there after a while and could never figure it out but once I removed those plugs, even through heavy rain my trunk stays dry! havent had the problem yet and I have had them off for about a year now!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I'll check for that. I doubt it's the taillight gasket(s) though because it's dead center - not to mention the taillights have never been removed. Usually leaks in the lights occur after rot (after it sits for awhile) or the lights were removed for whatever reason and not sat back the same exact 100% way. Though I'll keep it in mind, anything is possible.

-------------------------------------

In general though.

I just remembered that I drilled the screw in the left license plate light (because the ******* that had it before me stripped the screw in there) and I do believe I rigged it to an extent...I'll definitely have to check that 4 sho. It really shouldn't have leaked but it is RIGHT in that vicinity. I have to check it out w/ somebody 'n a hose .

Tomorrow, I hope.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know it sounds stupid, but make sure you dont overtighten the tail light nuts they break real easy.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smileycvc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know it sounds stupid, but make sure you dont overtighten the tail light nuts they break real easy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thx, I don't plan on taking them out unless they're leaking though.

tho thx
Old 01-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well. I pulled the backseat down, sat in it/the trunk with a flash light.

Had my dad spray the **** outta it with a high pressure nozzle.

Could NOT find ANY form of a leak ANYWHERE.

Sprayed everywhere, light seems, where the window meets the trunk, all around the crevice, the gasket wasn't even wet.

Tried from underneath too, NOTHING.

I'm all O.O now.

There is a lot of what appears to be bondo (but is some kind of sealant) - I'm guessing the car was in a rear end collision before I bought it.

It was caulked in the drain plug in the tire well but once I popped it out / broke the plug the water drained out.

So I have no idea where this is coming from, I found a new spare tire cover that won't be affected by weather (stainless steel magnetic board) and took all the things like my tools that could get damaged outta there, but that still doesn't fix the leak. Now obviously with the plug left out it won't fill up, though I'd still like to fix it so I can leave stuff in my trunk.

I couldn't get it to leak w/ the high pressure nozzle, I have no idea where it's coming in. In that link you could see in one of the pictures where the bondo is spread out, it's like that all the way to each end.

Though no water leakage when I was in there....I can't figure it out, anybody have any tips? This is ridiculous.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Clunkin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got in my trunk about an hour ago with my dad hitting the trunk lid with the hose. the leak was coming from some hole in the top of the trunk. not in the trunk lid but right next to it. the same hole is on the other side so its supposed to be there. i think theres a faulty seal between the lid and the frame. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have same problem. A hole where two pieces of metal meet right? I attempted to get my meat cleavers (hands) up in the hole to see where it went but they couldn't fit. It looks like it runs up, like from to roof. I have a hunch that, possibly the drain hose, for the sunroof has a crack somewhere in the rear pillar.....
Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Trunk Leak (bart2546)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2coupes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have a spoiler? mine did this and it was the spoiler holes leaking</TD></TR></TABLE>
Weird... 6th gen coupe spoilers are mounted on the outside of the trunk seal. So 6th gens would have to have a bad trunk seal in order for it to get in anyway.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bart2546 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd take the hose idea, but while it's raining just go in the back, besides that might provide better results because the rain will naturally flow into the area that it's leaking from rather than a hose that may force water in from God knows where.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The problem with doing it while it's actually raining is the entire car will get soaked down.

The source of the leak that needs to be fixed is on the outside of the car, not the inside. It won't be worth filling in a hole in the roof of the trunk... if the water is coming in through the rear window seal (which means then the c-pillar would just fill with water, and come in through another natural hole in the frame).

I posted how to do a decent cheap leak test here:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1495187

Use low pressure with a hose or use a large cup of water. Start from the bottom so you can narrow down the area the leak is in.

&lt;-- Has a trunk leak. Water on the inside comes in near the trunk arm, but the leaking water is getting in the car through a broken rear window seal.

The place it's coming into the trunk is not always the source of the leak.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, talk about a blast from the past.

I never did get that leak fixed. I had my friend hose it w/ a high pressure nozzle from every angle I can think of (including under and directly above) and NOTHING (I was sitting in the trunk w/ a flash light), absofuckinglutely nothing.

I ended up just ripping the drain plug out and taking out that card board over the spare tire and putting in a lightweight magnetic x-ray table film shield (from way back when...don't ask).

If it has leaked, it's all drained out the bottom, so whatever :-\.

I found bondo in the trunk so obviously it was in a [non-insurance] hit and that's probably where it's coming in, though it's beneath the top of the spare tire well and the spare tire cover was getting wet - but whatever, it's all open now and everything's fine.

Just take a screw driver and bash that plug out (mine was bondoed the expletive in). and left that plate over it. Resolved, but not fixed.

EDIT:

PS: You shouldn't bump my topics, they generally don't get solved.

Still ******* with the fuel supply system as to why I'm throwing a CEL (43) but there's no driving problems. Not the fuel filter, just bought a pressure gauge and a fuel pump sock filter. Next is new injectors if the fuel pressure checks from (according to helms) 40-47psi (unless the FPR is turned low but its not even adjustable ) or a new fuel pump if it's insufficient pressure.

Like I said, my problems never get solved

Or maybe as to why I'm getting 23mpg on a trip that I used to get 37mpg on. Goes back to the fuel supply system and I just changed the air filter, 80+ for a K&N pipe filter, jeez .

Issues issues issues.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:35 PM

Ok, so the leak is difinitely coming down over the driver side rear wheel , on the inside and then draining into the trunk. It's also coming from the above mentioned space between two pieces of the metal.

However my water melon head can fit to see any further than a foot up the past the rear wheel well. Any ideas?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:52 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (redrelease)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redrelease &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so the leak is difinitely coming down over the driver side rear wheel , on the inside and then draining into the trunk. It's also coming from the above mentioned space between two pieces of the metal.

However my water melon head can fit to see any further than a foot up the past the rear wheel well. Any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>
You're looking in the wrong place.

It DOESN'T matter where it's coming in on the inside. It matters where it's coming in on the OUTSIDE.

So do the leak test I said to do. Start at the bottom and work up. You need to find the outer source in order to fix the leak.