Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Trunk Floor/Spare Tire Cover: Need Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trunk Floor/Spare Tire Cover: Need Opinions Please

Trunk Floor/Spare Tire Cover: Need Opinions Please
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe (stock). Automatic. 150K miles.

I intend to build a trunk floor/spare tire cover similar to this: DIY: Custom Trunk - 7th Gen Honda Forum - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts or this one on CF from diskreet (OP): DIY: Custom Trunk II !with access to spare tire! (great post) . My car's trunk currently has leaks: https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...-leak-3258182/
I ordered a new seal but, skeptical it will fix the issue on the passenger side drain channel. Bought a tube of 3M Flexclear 08405 seam sealer that should fix the driver side drain channel. I intend to fix all trunk leaks but, with the age of car, possible future leaks and moisture are always a concern . With that in mind my strategy is to make the trunk floor cover as water resistant as possible.

Some differences between the linked posts and mine will be: Mine will not have an amp or sub-woofer, simple floor cover only. No use of metal (hinges,latches, staple) to avoid rust and keep the top side smooth. Need opinions for the following please:

1) Should I use MDF board or 3/8" plywood (smooth/sanded on both sides) ?
**** I am leaning towards plywood as it's lighter, less thick, less prone to warping in humidity and if roll-on coatings are used they will embed and adhere to plywood much better than MDF .MDF vs Plywood - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

2) Carpeting vs other types of materials on floor cover :
a) the stock trunk carpet: is in good shape but, soaks absorbs water and stays wet for a while, slowly releasing moisture while drying out. Susceptible to mold and mildew. If I go this route..will glue down (3M Super 777 adhesive).

b) fiberglass,bondo and gelcoat: best option for water-proofing but. most labor intensive, fairly expensive and adds weight.

c) Herculiner: site states can use on bare wood. I could use this on the entire trunk as well but, concerned about flaking. Fairly expensive, semi-rough surface, somewhat labor intensive.. light sand, clean with acetone, paint two coats.

d) peel and stick or sheet vinyl floor tiles (don't laugh..lol). Inexpensive, mildly labor intensive: latex primer, cuts need with utility knife, weighted roller to apply. Sevral patterns to choose from.. thinking faux wood: http://cf.ltkcdn.net/homeimprovement...565-Vinyl4.jpg . Unsure about durability and possible lifting in wet and/or humid conditions?

e) porch and floor paint (Behr): leaning towards this option. I have used this on stamped cement pool deck of my prior home and it held up very well for four years in midwest Florida weather before repaint needed. Smooth, durable, inexpensive, very mild labor, assortment of colors.

All opinions, suggestions, comments appreciated. I plan to to either add to this or do a new thread once all planning and materials are in place.