Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission whining and noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission whining and noise.

Ok.....i have the horriable whing sound coming from my transmission. The noise sounds like something similar to what a trains wheels sound like when driving over the track but with a higher pitch. The noise is present at idle (but only when the clutch is engauged) and on accel, if i dis-enguage the clutch it goes away completly. Also once the transmission warms up the noise is still present but much softer then when engine is cold. I swaped the clutch disk, plate, and throw out bearing think that it had something to do with that....but no it did not fix the problem. I wasted all that time and it is still there, does anyone have any suggestions or tips that may help me before i waste any more time trying to find the problem. Also if the noise is in the transmission and it is just a bearing or something is there anything that i can put into the trans to quiet the noise up until i can fix the problem. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend had the same problem a few weeks back... its the same sound you get when you go in reverse, but more monotonous.

needless to say, his transmssion started slipping and it blew a week after.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:16 PM

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

ouch that is not what i wanted to hear.....i was hoping it was just a bearing or something..........anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Transmission whining and noise. (redpeppers)

i was going to say it might be your drive shaft... but since it makes noises when its idling.... it can't be...

it could be something really bad.. since it only makes noises when it's engaged...

whenver the clutch is engaged.. some part of the tranny is spinning inside its case (don't belive me? look at the lay shaft) cause the tranny has been directly connected to the engine, the lay shaft is constantly spinning whenever the clutch is engaged...

so either rebuild your tranny yourself.. or take it to an expert..

-----------
me i have this clicking noise coming when i turn.. i think its a broken axle.. but i don't know...i also have another noise coming from what i think is the ps.. eh when it all dies.. i just hope i'm not going really fast, or in the middle of nowhere.. then i have a better excuse to swap in a k ^_^
Old 05-17-2006, 09:21 PM

throw-out bearing if I had to guess-

K
Old 05-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (killerformula)

If the sound goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed down (clutch disengaged) it is most likely your input shaft bearing. You have to take apart the tranny to replace that and then you might as well replace the main shaft bearing because they usually go out one right after the other.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

When mine did this, it went out a few days later.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Transmission whining and noise. (JDM-EJ1)

I was thinking it was the ISB . IF i do deceide to get in there ...when i be able to physicaly see a problem with the bearings? Also is this a difficult job to do?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:37 AM

bumped
Old 05-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was going to say it might be your drive shaft... but since it makes noises when its idling.... it can't be...

it could be something really bad.. since it only makes noises when it's engaged...

whenver the clutch is engaged.. some part of the tranny is spinning inside its case (don't belive me? look at the lay shaft) cause the tranny has been directly connected to the engine, the lay shaft is constantly spinning whenever the clutch is engaged...

so either rebuild your tranny yourself.. or take it to an expert..

-----------
me i have this clicking noise coming when i turn.. i think its a broken axle.. but i don't know...i also have another noise coming from what i think is the ps.. eh when it all dies.. i just hope i'm not going really fast, or in the middle of nowhere.. then i have a better excuse to swap in a k ^_^</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey it may be his axels mine did that and fould out my axel was not in all the way
Old 05-18-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Transmission whining and noise. (jdmboi86)

I have brand new axles in .....and i am sure that they are in all the way
Old 05-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redpeppers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok.....i have the horriable whing sound coming from my transmission. The noise sounds like something similar to what a trains wheels sound like when driving over the track but with a higher pitch. The noise is present at idle (but only when the clutch is engauged) and on accel, if i dis-enguage the clutch it goes away completly. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i have the same problem!
Old 05-18-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Transmission whining and noise. (EK tommy)

I think that after readin and reading i have came to the conclusion that it is one of the bearings in the trans......