Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can anyone help...got this annoying noise I think coming from tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help...got this annoying noise I think coming from tranny???

Sup guys…I got a 2000 Hatch DX and I got this annoying problem with my engine or tranny? When I turn on the car it makes a some what loud whining noise that’s noticeable to ear…the funny thing is when I push the clutch in it goes away and when I release it...the noise comes back. It does this when the engine is cold or hot and also when I’m driving in 1st gear starting from 1000 to 3000 the noise isn’t that bad until I get to high RPM’s…past 3000…sounds like its hit’n a weak *** vtec lol. Now, its not that loud of a noise but it is noticeable. I had another hatchback before and never had this problem. Does anyone know where this noise could be coming from…tranny…clutch…engine…axles….has anyone had this noise problem and fixed it?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Can anyone help...got this annoying noise I think coming from tranny??? (fleaEG)

If the noise goes away when you press the clutch pedal, then the problem would exist somewhere after the clutch in the drivetrain. sounds like it might be a clutch release bearing. However it might be from a bearing in the trans.
Has the clutch ever been replaced?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:16 AM

Since I bought the car I have never replaced it. How much does replacing that cost?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can anyone help...got this annoying noise I think coming from tranny??? (LIMITLESS22)

low probability that its the throwout bearing on your clutch - im now dealing with the same issue for the second time..and first time it was the input shaft bearing for the transmission.

now for the crappy part - if it IS the input shaft bearing..you might as well find a new trans cause it will cost less to replace the whole trans than to have it taken apart, rebuilt and then put back together. and in which case, you should also do the clutch.
-but if you do the work yourself it will only cost you the price of the parts.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Can anyone help...got this annoying noise I think coming from tranny??? (fleaEG)

i used to have a similar problem. when it was in natural, it would make a rattling noise, when i put in the clutch it would go away. i replaced the clutch, (thinking it was the release bearing for some reason) with a brand new one only to find out, it did the same thing. if there is such thing as a "idel gear" i wouldnt put it past you needing a new tranny somewhere down the line. but you said it does it when its in gear, and my civic had 182k. so i am not really sure