Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tranny fluid change Q.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny fluid change Q.

i have a 95 civic dx manual and i think it still has the oem fluid in it. some times its difficult to switch to second or first. and my clutch always squeeks when i press it in. maybe new fluid will cure some of these problems. but either way if not i think it would be a good idea to change the fluid with either OEm MTF or some other fluid such as amsoil or RP.

however i am not sure how to do this.
all i know if you unbolt drain plug and let it all drain. reinstall plug. then open the fill plug and pour in fluid threw a funnel what that one sensor is located. i believe you take the sensor out. then when it starts pouring out let it pour out till its even. and thats it. !

my question is though will just draining it drain all the old fluid out? because i heard there is still a good amount of fluid left in the tranny. and youd really need a flush to get it all out..

is this true?

Old 06-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well of course there will be. when u change your oil do u really think u are getting all the old oil out. No of course not. there is still some in the pan and in the block. Its not gunna hurt anything.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny fluid change Q. (Bulli Kid)

Yeah, don't worry about it. Just proceed the way you originally posted, and everything will be fine. Looks like you've got everything under control.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: tranny fluid change Q. (BlackoutVTi)

ok thanks. should i stick with HG fluid?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't go wrong on a honda, with honda fluids.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bulli Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 95 civic dx manual and i think it still has the oem fluid in it. some times its difficult to switch to second or first. and my clutch always squeeks when i press it in. maybe new fluid will cure some of these problems. but either way if not i think it would be a good idea to change the fluid with either OEm MTF or some other fluid such as amsoil or RP.

however i am not sure how to do this.
all i know if you unbolt drain plug and let it all drain. reinstall plug. then open the fill plug and pour in fluid threw a funnel what that one sensor is located. i believe you take the sensor out. then when it starts pouring out let it pour out till its even. and thats it. !

my question is though will just draining it drain all the old fluid out? because i heard there is still a good amount of fluid left in the tranny. and youd really need a flush to get it all out..

is this true?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Automatic transmissions need flushes because of the residual (by risidual i mean 7-8quarts at times) fluid is left in the torque converter. Most of the fluid is NOT in the pan of an AUTO trans.

Manual transmissions are much simpler. The fluid sits in the bellhousing..Gears rotate in the fluid...and they are lubricated. easy squeezy.

If you want all the fluid out, make sure the trans is warm, and then after you pull the drain plug, go look at some internet **** or go sexually harass a waitess or something. waste an hour basically. just let it drip.

Make sure you pull the fill bolt first just to make sure you will be able to refill the trans.

If the fill bolt is stuck, you will need to jack up the car from the passenger side (front and rear), so the car is tilted at a pretty good angle, remove the axle, and pour the oil in from the axle hole. Been there.

Use Honda MTF

Changing fluid will do nothing to aid the operation of your clutch. If the pedal squeaks, it's most likely lack of lubrication at the pivot point of the slave cylinder and clutch fork. Take off the slave cylinder, and lube that point with some good grease....like brake caliper grease or something. Dont over do it because you dont want it getting into your clutch housing too much.

The car needs to be on a level surface (unless you're doing the axle trick) so that the fluid will drain completely and fill completely. It is filled when it starts coming back out of the fill plug. 1.5 quarts should do it.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:11 PM

You can fill it through the VSS port, and it should not be filled right to the top. There is a "fill plug" on the side of the case that you can also pour the fluid in. Once fluid starts pouring out of this port - stop filling.

Honda MTF is great, but I use GM Syncromesh on my older tranny and it works charms.