Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny Crunching

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tranny Crunching

I'm sorry if this sounds like a newb "how to drive standard" question, so if u have nothing but flames, just press "back" now

I've had this on just about every damn standard car I've had, my eclipse GSX had this, my GTI AND the Jetta I sold my dad have it, this honda has it, my probe doesn't have it as much, though occasionally it will get stuck between gears when putting it into reverse and u hvae to let out teh clutch a lil and it'll pop right into gear w/o grinding or anything

THe problem is simple, clutch is floored, tranny is perfectly fine (nothing's broken), car is at a dead stop, I go to put it in reverse, and it crunches like putting it into a gear w/o using a clutch..I hvae no idea what causes this problem, but I want to know how to get around it because quite simply, it doesn't sound good...

And PLZ don't give me that **** "ur tranny's fucked, get a new one" etc. etc. etc. I had this problem wtih a BRAND NEW GTI (****** 150 miles on the odometer) when I test drove it, the guy said it's because there's no syncros in reverse..but that's for the VW's, this happend on like, every car 'cept the probe, any suggestions EXCEPT "get a new car" or "learn how to drive standard" or any stupid **** like that are thx :-\
Old 05-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tranny Crunching (Syndacate)

i had this happen to me with both civics i owned. the best way is just to put it in a high gear like 3rd and go straight to reverse, it will go in fine with no grind.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have this problem too, i usually shift into 1st and 2nd then to reverse
Old 05-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I'm more looking for a reason, but it's gay taht I see it's common :-\ How are u supposd to shift fast into reverse if it clunks like that...it doesn't look cool from outside the car :-P
Old 05-02-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

that's normal, shift into a forward gear (i do 4th) for a second then pop it into reverse. that stops the reverse gears from moving in there.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it's because there's no syncros in reverse..</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its because reverse is unsyncronized.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:54 PM

like everyone said... just put the tranny in a forward gear and she should shift smoothly into reverse...

my eg used to do this alot when it got cold... but its semi normal
Old 05-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if it has no syncros, why can't u just start as if u were to put a tractor trailer in 1st, you double clutch, once in neutral, then once to get it into 1st, then double -- (it has no syncros)...Blah, I'm seriously lacking in transmissin skills...the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel concept I understand fine, I can change a clutch fine, I DO NOT understand how it gets stuck inbetween and how the syncros are connected to the actual gears..

I mean I know the basics, shifter moves the gear to different gears on the same output shaft (crank) which creates different crank rev's/minute, same thing except an idler gear reverses the driveshaft

That's it in a nutshell, but as for everything else I'm confused, if anybody knows of any websites that would help me understand this rreally really well (no, I don't mind reading) plz lemme know...changing a clutch is one thing, knowing the tranny inside and out is something different...not to mention there's no pressure valves to shift like on an automatic..iono, any help iz thx...
Old 05-03-2006, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This was actually answered in a thread I read a while back. Try searching for double-clutching or something. Should come up.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i press the clutch down and give it a lit gas and shift into reverse
Old 05-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mperezkr)

its normal.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mperezkr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mperezkr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i press the clutch down and give it a lit gas and shift into reverse</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that makes it grind.......but I'll give it a try..
Old 05-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do that too, give it a little gas. But thats when it doesnt wanna go in reverse, not when its crunchy
Old 05-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 2:26 PM 11/16/2006
Old 05-04-2006, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I know the 2 remedys if it's stuck in between gears (like it wont' go all the way down), then u either pull out the clutch and before the release point (where it engages) while slightly pulling the shifter down, it'll slip into gear fine (b4 it even gets to the point where you can start moving)

or you can just give it some gas and it'll slide right in, but that's only for stuck between gears, I know I have to wait for the input shaft to stop spinning, but the whole "no syncros in reverse" thing is just gay :-P

On the other side, I want to understand it better -- Does anybody know of anything where there's like, pictures, and descriptions and **** of a honda tranny or any manual tranny FWD!!, (Not AWD or RWD)...just looking to understand it better, thx for ur help, putting it into 4th or 3rd eliminates the noise, thx

My original remedy was to push teh clutch in and wait like 5 seconds for hte input shaft to stop spinnin b4 i put it into reverse...but I'm not a big fan of waiting so I would never wait the full 5 seconds not to mention it will wear out the clutch spring :-\

thx, any links to any descript w/ pics is thx as well
Old 05-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm
Old 05-04-2006, 10:35 AM

this is normal... even in the car manual it says to put it in first to "stop" the gear then put it in R
Old 05-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ZipTieGUy)

sorry....

Dom: You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! You almost had me?
Extra: You Tell him Dominic. Get out of here
Dom: Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (error)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by error &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry....

Dom: You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! You almost had me?
Extra: You Tell him Dominic. Get out of here
Dom: Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah...because we all know that there's no such thing as double clutching outside the fast and the furious, right? It doesn't exist...it must have been made to be part of some huge fuckign conspiracy, yeah, like 55 years ago you really didn't have to double clutch, the transmissions were just designed that way as part of this conspiracy, and it was all the way up to 2001 where they had to make a movie where they had to try to use "double clutching" in an intelligent way (and fialed horribly) -- but keep thinking that, you don't need to do it in ur car therefore it never has to be done, EVER, for ANY circumstances and that people who do it don't averagely have trannys that last longer...yeah..you're right...aight buddy..
Old 05-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm, so what dont you understand??? you realize that there is no synchros in reverse, and that they are straight cut gears, both are the reason you put it in a forward gear then to reverse. there is no fix, there is no other reason, just the truth that was told.