Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tonight's Findings/Exhaust Cam End Seal Replacement/Ractive Header Fitment Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonight's Findings/Exhaust Cam End Seal Replacement/Ractive Header Fitment Issue...

Well, this is sort of a collection of things from tonight's Cam seal install. I ordered a Billet Blox cam seal because I was puking oil out of the dizzy side of the engine. Beware of shitty Blackberry pics...

CAM SEAL

I replaced the VTEC solenoid gasket as well last week, but this cam seal took a month and a half to get here from California (I'm in Canada, but that is absurd!!! The seller claims USPS lost it in the mail, but I think he didn't put his order into Blox, probably because he didn't have much of an order to put in...)

Anyway...I pulled the valve cover and replaced the factory plastic seal. It did not have a single O-ring on it (Not sure if they are supposed to or not) but was instead covered in Orange Gasket maker.

When I bought this car, the kid told me it had work done to the head and it was cammed. I looked into the head work scenario when replacing the intake manifold gasket and noticed that somebody had definitely port matched the manifold to the head and cleaned up some casting in the head as well. I don't think it is too extensive or anything outside of an ambitious previous owner with a Dremel tool.
*See that thread here* ---> https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/ported-head-intake-crappy-pics-2741584/

Now, when I bought the car I was under the impression that the engine was the B16A SIR II. I am a Honda n00b with the exception of helping my brother work on his '88 Prelude. I have since learned that the 2nd Gen B16A has VTEC in large writing on the valve cover and does not have Honda Motor Co. across the lower portion of the valve cover. Let's just say my valve cover leans to the 1st Gen B16A style. I was disappointed when I discovered this recently, but figured what the hell, it could have been swapped. Then I read that 2nd Gen B16A's don't have a PGM-FI sticker on the intake manifold. I do, so of course I'm thinking great...I got f*cked...I do have a hydro tranny (S80 non LSD) but it is my understanding that any B-series tranny will bolt to any B-series engine, regardless of cable or hydro. So that doesn't determine anything for me either.

VALVE COVER

Okay, enough rambling...Pulled valve cover, installed cam seal, inspected exhaust cam end to see if I could determine what cams were in the car. I referenced a page somewhere through google that outlined different cams based on cam ends. I am way too new at this to say definitively but they looked more like 2nd Gen B16A cams then the 1st Gen B16A cams. See pictures below and provide some insight if you can? They make not even be B16A cams, I dunno...HELP!

CAM END

If anybody can shed some light on what cam that may be, even though I am using the typical shitty quality, grainy Blackberry pics...

Furthermore...

Last week I realized even more how shitty the Ractive header that came on the car is. I just noticed the primary on the dizzy side cylinder is tight right up against the block. I don't like this at all...I'm wondering is this how this piece of **** header was designed to fit or has it been bent somehow?
I plan on replacing the header when money permits.

I haven't even had this car on the road yet because I've been busy buttoning up the previous owner's loose ends on the car. So far I've done rear brakes, both CV's, changed spark plugs, spark plug wires, hooked up reverse lights, changed intake manifold gasket to Password JDM phenolic gasket, painted the chipping valve cover, changed the valve cover gasket, changed the exhaust cam end seal, fixed the CD player, changed the tranny fluid (even though there was only about 150ml of fluid/oil in it...so it was more like put tranny fluid in it) new oil pan and oil pan gasket are being changed tomorrow along with oil change to Mobil 1 synthetic.

I have tuning hardware on it's way to set my ecu back to stock B16A map because it has been chipped.

The guy told me the one map had more fuel added to it and seemed to run the car better, and the other one he wasn't sure what was done to it.
All I know is that there is a 2-step setup at 4500rpm and he has redline set to 9000RPM on the one chip. I'd like to set it up stock and tune from there myself so that I know what is going on with the car. It's been nothing but chasing this guys neglected ****.

I'm really hoping the car isn't going to be a handful of headaches once I get it on the road. I'm getting tired of chasing **** and trying to unravel the mysteries of the car. Any insight whatsoever about the cams would be appreciated. I do plan on getting Colt Cams to regrind me a set of Tri Flow's when the money lends itself.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the huge *** drawn out post...
-Chris
Old 04-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tonight's Findings/Exhaust Cam End Seal Replacement/Ractive Header Fitment Issue.

No input on cams? I know the pics are **** but I'd really like some help...I'm lost on this one...
Old 04-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tonight's Findings/Exhaust Cam End Seal Replacement/Ractive Header Fitment Issue.

C'mon guys!