Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tips before tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips before tranny swap

hey, i'm about to swap a si tranny for a dx tranny and was wondering if there is any tips i need to know before doing the job? thanks.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:33 AM

Default Re: tips before tranny swap (silentbeatz)

-Get a new crush washer, 2 quarts of MTF, and a new throwout bearing from Honda.
-Make sure to pack the bearing with grease or it'll go bad after a few hundred miles.
-Put the stupid spring thing that's on the fork that goes between the bearing and the slave cylinder on correctly. (I made this stupid mistake)
-Make sure you have an engine/tranny lift or a couple of big friends that can help you line the thing back up when you put it on.

Other than that it's pretty much just unbolting and bolting. (Not sure how tranny-l33t you are. )
Old 05-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tips before tranny swap (nota-eg)

new axle seals
Old 05-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tips before tranny swap (dohcdelsol93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">new axle seals</TD></TR></TABLE>

tell me your joking....
Old 05-24-2006, 07:19 AM

Default Re: tips before tranny swap (SkRiBLaH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkRiBLaH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tell me your joking....</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not a bad idea if the other ones are torn or dry rotted from being off of a car for so long.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkRiBLaH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

tell me your joking....</TD></TR></TABLE>

ever installed a tranny and had a seal leak, then had to go back into the car to remove the cv axle and replace the seals? it's 8 bucks of insurance. Besides if you get careless when installing the cv axle it's always easy to tear/damage a seal.
Just my 2 cents but what do I know?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. your taking about the axle boot. not the axle seal thats on the transmission. thats all i wanted to clairfy
Old 05-24-2006, 08:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkRiBLaH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok. your taking about the axle boot. not the axle seal thats on the transmission. thats all i wanted to clairfy</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I think he means axle seal. The little rubber piece that goes around the opening that the axle goes into as your putting it into the transmission.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no, i'm talking about the axle seal. The actual seal. Although now that you mention it, examining the cv axles boot is also a good idea. I usually don't have to worry about the boots, I always snap the axles before the boot goes bad : ( .

I'm a tech and with all the traning I've gone through I've had it drilled into my thought process that when your working with any seals or gaskets that are not easy to get to and are cheap, replace them when your in there. It kills your comission when you swap cv axles in a car and the seals looked good upon visual inspection but they leak once the car gets a few miles on it, then you replace them on your own time. If you replace them with new seals and there are no worries. I have re used seals on my personal vehicles but that was only because I knew the seals were only a few months old. Anytime I get a new tranny I go ahead and change them out just for a piece of mind.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

While you are at it... also check the status of the rear main seal.
if its leaking this would be a great time to change that out too.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 AM

Default Re: tips before tranny swap (Crazydave)

get someone to help you line the trans up with the block. getting the mainshaft in is a pain in the *** by yourself, i've done it twice now. i've never swore so much in my life, if you're doing it by yourself be very paitent, it takes some luck to get it to lineup right. but if you've got someone else you can both hold it and it's much much easier.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tips before tranny swap (The Internet Tough Guy)

if you have to do it yourself it's easier to drop the engine with the tranny and remove/re-install the tranny from the engine while on the ground. Like the other guy said, you can forget aligning the tranny input shaft while your engine is in the bay by yourself unless your benching 400lbs
Old 05-24-2006, 09:13 AM

i've done it twice like that. put the tranny on a jack with a block of wood, wiggle it in there, get it lined up and hope for the best. spin the mainshaft a little bit if it won't go in, once it goes in a little, CAREFULLY start bolting the tranny to the block. if you're not careful it's easy to crossthread a bolt if it's not lined up right. once you get 3 or 4 bolts started, crank them down in several steps, quickly get the top side mount bolted, and back those tranny bolts out and back in.

it helps if you leave that lower front bracket bolted to it, it's real nice to hold onto that to keep it steady.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: tips before tranny swap (The Internet Tough Guy)

Um, i'd do the following while you're in there:

-New Clutch/PP/TOB
-Resurface Flywheel
-Rear Main Seal
-Input Shaft Bearing & Seal
-Axle Seals
-Lube clutch fork HEAVILY

As far as general tips go...just be patient and expect to take a few days doing it. The bitch pin is the obvious demon...have a long bolt that you can use as a tap...and just smash it with a hammer it will come right out. When you drop the transmission, make sure you have a blanket folded up underneath it (to break the fall of the tranny).

And then, when you're putting the trans back on...make sure you have two jacks on tap, one so that you can jack the motor up and then one to jack the trans up...makes aligning the two MUCH easier. You're not gonna get the trans in all the way, so once you get it like 1/4 inch away from the block, start putting the tranny bolts in.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Re: tips before tranny swap (BauleyCivic)

Well instead of just dropping the tranny.. put a jack under it so you can gently lower it down after its unbolted. And getting the thing back on is alot harder that removing it so do everything that these people have already said so you wont have to go back in there any time soon.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tips before tranny swap (onefast93sol)

Don't forget to warn your neighbors about the impending foul language you will be expressing
Old 05-24-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Re: tips before tranny swap (Crazydave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crazydave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't forget to warn your neighbors about the impending foul language you will be expressing</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol. That's not a bad idea. I think I threw more tools and yelled more profane language in the hours I was doing the clutch swap than any other time in the history of man.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crazydave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't forget to warn your neighbors about the impending foul language you will be expressing</TD></TR></TABLE>

only if you have the wrong size punch for the little bitch pin.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:03 PM

yeah i tried once with the car on a lift, and the trans on a floor jack, i was hanging over the fender, pumping the jack with my leg, and trying to line it up just to have it tumble off the jack about 6 times. screamed and cursed, then spent $60 at sears for an ATV jack which did the trick for me i can only imagine the site of me hanging over the fender with my *** crack hangin out screaming c-u-n-t every 30 seconds.