Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Timing on D16Y8

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing on D16Y8

Just replaced my clutch/flywheel on my 96 Civic Sohc. How did I lose timing? The car ran like a champ till I pulled the flywheel. Need to know where the ECU (SCS) jumper is located.

For starters: Put the crank at TDC. What do I do w/ the distributor? Should it point to a specific point/spark plug? Do I have to look at the cam gear? All this seems too much when I didn't touch any part of the motor... Just dropped the tranny and removed the clutch/flywheel. I'll scoop a timing light tomorrow. I read a few threads and it states that the car has to be idling at +/- 750 rpms. I just need to get the car started and I'll worry about the ignition timing once I get the timing light. Help pls!
Thanks!

Modified by redsohc101 at 2:52 AM 1/4/2006
Old 01-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing on D16Y8 (redsohc101)

The ECU jumper is behind the passenger kick panel. There's a small 2-pin blue plug that sits in a green rubber boot/holder.

Put crank at TDC. Make sure cam gear is at TDC (there are two lines that should line up with the head surface). It also says TOP on the cam gear, it should be at the top.

You will have to remove the upper timing cover to do this, you might have to remove the lower one also to line up the crank pulley on TDC.

How do you know the timing is off? Check the timing first of all with your timing light. Did you do anything with the dizzy during your clutch replacement?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Timing on D16Y8 (******)

Thats what's killing me! All that was done was the removal of the tranny, starter, unpluged no more than 2 or 3 connectors(VSS, O2 Sensor, the 2 from the starter).

Nothing on the engine side was touched! Zip, nada, zero! I noticed on my OEM flywheel the wht and red markings but nothing that would have had me consider timing. It just came off and I popped the flywheel/clutch back on.

The car ran fine when I pulled into the garage. And didn't when I was done. I've read up on several thread about how to check for timing... so I'm fairly straight on that dept. Just haven't picked up a timing gun(yet!).

I know it's the timing cus I decided to go old skool and remove the 1st cyl spark plug and drop a long screw driver. I turned the crank til it was up on top. Then, I pulled the dizzy cover and chk'd to see where the rotor was pointing. It was off or not near the #1 cable... I then, rotated the dizzy and got pretty close to where it lined up... and the car started but ran like crap... I shut it off and called it a night til I got more info from here.

Thanks for getting back!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something does not sound right. clutch and flywheel have nothing to do with timing. why do you thing is the timing.

check your TDC timing. make sure you marks line up and grap a timing light

if your stock it should be 16*

platinum.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Timing on D16Y8 (platinum00)

Now you know why I was so pissed! I did a clutch on my 92 Prelude and didn't remove the fly... and it didn't give me this sort of prob. But it's definitely the timing cus after tinker toying w/ it... it finally started(crummy). I'll check the tdc and cam markings to see what the heck is going on... Sucks tho, I never figured it would give me this much lip!

Is there an easy way to see the marker for the TDC on the block? I still have all the stock junk in the car.. pwr steering, etc... So, what happens if I put the crank at tdc and find out the cam is not on point? Do I have to loosen the tensioner and turn the cam? Blah!!!

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, if the TDC marks do not line up then you need to redo the timing.

dont drive the car untill it's right...

platinum.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Timing on D16Y8 (platinum00)

So who has the solution to this? When I pulled the timing cover and placed the crank on TDC the cam was right on point... as mentioned... NOTHING WAS DONE TO THE MOTOR SIDE while replacing the clutch/flywheel. Now as far as the Dizzy is concerned... if I have the block all good on TDC... I pulled the Dizzy cover and the rotor is pointing to cylndr 3... there's NO way of adjusting it to be near cyl 1 unless I have the damn thing upside down... I jumped the ecu as stated... cranked the car... and it still acted like crap. The last thing I want to do is drop the tranny just to check the flywheel... it doesn't make sense other than the oem one having the timing marks on them... but this isn't a H22a4 where there's a crank angle sensor... Does anyone have an idea what I can do next? I shot the timing light and it was off but then again, I think the idle wasn't the best due to the way the engine was running. Any advice will help!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:56 PM

I have a buddy w/ a 2000 EX. I can check to see if my thoughts are correct w/ his setup. Maybe I can swap dizzy's to see if mine just coughed up it's last spark... Doubt cus I had pair of new ignition coils and module's laying around... and tried them. The car still ran like crap.

I don't get it fellas. The flywheel could not have anything to do w/ my problem. The timing on the block is all good... what can I do w/ the dizzy? or ECU? I need to get that portion going... Otherwise, I'm guessing I may have some banged up valves from trying this long.... who knows?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:37 AM

Problem solved... I guess I was blind and inadvertantly swapped the 1st and 2nd spark plug cables which made the car run off.. DUH!!! She's all good now and running like a champ!

Now for the 500 mile break in!! BOO HISS