Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

throwing a code 48, (LAF - lean air fuel sensor) Need some help guys...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throwing a code 48, (LAF - lean air fuel sensor) Need some help guys...

I am currently throwing a code 48, but I don't know how to fix that code. This code doesn't pop all the time but it will come one from time to time, usually if I start it up then start driving immediately (maybe just a coincidence).

My question is where should I start to fix this problem? Change a filter? Fuel or Air? I am not even fimiliar where this sensor is located.

Any help is appreciated guys, Thanks in advance

-Scott
Old 05-05-2005, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: throwing a code 48, (LAF - lean air fuel sensor) Need some help guys... (Built Beast)

Are you using a Vx/Hx ECU without the 5-wire O2 sensor?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: throwing a code 48, (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you using a Vx/Hx ECU without the 5-wire O2 sensor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The car is completely stock, it is my beater...

it is a VX (stock VX ecu) and I am assuming it still has the stock O2 sensor. You think my O2 sensor is shot?
Old 05-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: throwing a code 48, (LAF - lean air fuel sensor) Need some help guys... (Built Beast)

well one it could be the gas that goes in ur car or its to lean air/fuel ratio. leaner the airfuel ratio the more chance of detination because low octane sparks quicker then higher octane. maybe use a higher octane in the gas
Old 05-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: throwing a code 48, (kbr56)

I don't think it is the gas, the car was designed to run on 89 octane and that is what goes in there.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: throwing a code 48, (Built Beast)

If its stock (bone stock, right), and it has some miles on it, sounds like the O2 is heading south.

Have you done any maintenance recently?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yep it is bone stock, I just recently got the car back in March only have changed the oil. I was kind of thinking myself it was the o2 because it doesn't come one all the time only every once and a while. If I am driving down the road and it comes on I can just turn the car off and turn back on and it is gone.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: throwing a code 48, (Built Beast)

Thats where a scan tool would come in handy. It can tell you the time it takes for the 02 to switch between rich and lean and the current voltage output. Without that its kind of guesswork if its bad or not.

how many miles on the car? There is a change interval for the 02 sensor to be replaced and if your at or past that, it may not hurt.

Also check for exhaust leaks or anything like that. Could be an actual lean condition. Fuel filter been changed? Does it have any type of a miss?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: throwing a code 48, (flood)

I agree with checking the switching rate for a standard 4-wire O2 - but we're dealing with the 5-wire WB of the Vx. The same testing method does not apply here.

Throw me an e-mail addy and I can send you a .pdf that details this particular O2 sensors operation and its testing.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats where a scan tool would come in handy. It can tell you the time it takes for the 02 to switch between rich and lean and the current voltage output. Without that its kind of guesswork if its bad or not.

how many miles on the car? There is a change interval for the 02 sensor to be replaced and if your at or past that, it may not hurt.

Also check for exhaust leaks or anything like that. Could be an actual lean condition. Fuel filter been changed? Does it have any type of a miss? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Car has 128,xxx miles on it, the previous owner (original) did all the repairs and gave me most of the receipts to them. I have tried looking in there to see if there is a repair for replacing the o2 but I couldn't find it. The exhaust is in great shape, no holes or anything, little heatshield rattle but thats it. I will be swapping the built motor in it shortly (within a couple months) just kind of wanted to fix the problem for the time being. I am not sure about the fuel filter, but it is something I was gonna replace with the swap anyways.

The car drives fine, it just pisses me off when I see the CEL

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree with checking the switching rate for a standard 4-wire O2 - but we're dealing with the 5-wire WB of the Vx. The same testing method does not apply here.

Throw me an e-mail addy and I can send you a .pdf that details this particular O2 sensors operation and its testing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for your help, email address is Civic4u2envy@hotmail.com
Old 05-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree with checking the switching rate for a standard 4-wire O2 - but we're dealing with the 5-wire WB of the Vx. The same testing method does not apply here.

Throw me an e-mail addy and I can send you a .pdf that details this particular O2 sensors operation and its testing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could you send it to me as well? flood222@yahoo.com
Old 05-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Notta problem. Anyone else want it - just shoot me a PM.