Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Throttle Position SEnsor for Venturi Induction

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Position SEnsor for Venturi Induction

I am developing a protype for a Venturi Induction system (www.aspenesco.com). I plan to initially try the device without a throttle position sensor. I pulled my TPS off my car last night and the car seemed to be uneffected.

What does the TPS really do? Will the Venturi negate the need for the TPS?
Old 09-22-2006, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Throttle Position SEnsor for Venturi Induction (jmeyer99)

hmm next gen itbs? if its patented, it must be serious. in for updates
Old 09-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hrm, if you're using a venturi system then it will probably negate the need for TPS, yes.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for the question..
what is the difference between and ITB and a venturi induction?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohc1200cc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc1200cc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry for the question..
what is the difference between and ITB and a venturi induction?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ITB's still use fuel injectors, venturi injection doesn't. It uses the vacuum from the air getting pulled in to pull fuel (or "venturi fuel") out of the venturi tubes.

Basis for how a carburator system works.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

intresting
Old 09-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

In for this.

The TPS does exactly what it says. It gives the ECU a readout of how far the throttle is down, full/part throttle, etc
Old 09-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Clarification

The basic concept is as follows:

Fuel injection is at the throat of the bung. A low pressure is induced only at the throat, promoting vaporization and mixing of the fuel and air. Pressure is recovered before the charge enters the engine. The expansion of the fuel will jettison the charge into the engine. The Venturi effect, resulting from the injected fuel, draws additional air into the entrance of the Venturi.Integration of the throttle and fuel injection assures the phenomenon works at all throttle positions.A turbocharged rendition is planned for phase 2. The Venturi tubes will be reconfigured to accommodate the turbo. The heat of compression will be lowered by the vaporization of the gasoline, rendering an intercooler unnecessary.

Details can be found at http://www.aspenesco.com

James Meyer, PE
jmeyer@aspenesco.com
Inventor, U.S. patent 6,868,830
Golden, CO
Old 11-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clarification (jmeyer99)

How would you go about adjusting the fuel at certain loads? Also, could you run an efi computer with out the fuel maps to tune the ignition?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clarification (gldndrgn14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gldndrgn14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How would you go about adjusting the fuel at certain loads? Also, could you run an efi computer with out the fuel maps to tune the ignition? </TD></TR></TABLE>

as the vaccum increases, so will the furl that is delivered
Old 11-09-2006, 08:18 AM

Your gonna need the TPS.

Very interesting idea!

Old 11-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clarification (slwburn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slwburn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your gonna need the TPS.

Very interesting idea!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think your still gonna need something to let the ecu know what percent of the throttle your at, and then that can help determine engine load.

but either way i bet you couldnt get that sys smogged
Old 11-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clarification (SkankyEJ7)

if your going to run a factory ecu for the ignition system then yes you still need a tps.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clarification (highroller54)

kinda depends on how you want to run the engine management
Old 11-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clarification (marshun)

interesting..
Old 11-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clarification (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

as the vaccum increases, so will the furl that is delivered</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes genius, i got that part. hence my question, how do you adjust the fuel for different loads. as vacuum increases fuel would increase, making it linear and not very tunable. it would keep the same ratio across the band. what if i dont want the same ratios all through out my map. what if i wanted different a/f ratios for different loads for what type of driving i am doing? you dont always tune for the same a/f on every cell of the map. sorry, but i wouldnt.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this wont go through.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:39 AM

sounds kinda like what a carburetor does?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:10 AM

Default Re: (snowman0520)

i think standalone systems would work where it would eliminate the need of tps but keeping the injectors to allow fuel to engine.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:16 AM

Default Re: (f20b eg)

the tps does play a part in load calculation, but it plays a vital role as an accelerator pump. When you smack the throttle open the computer can sense it through the tps and compensate with a quick shot of fuel. If you don't have a tps you can still drive, and if you drive slow you might not even notice it's gone. But once you open the throttle quick it'll bog.

So yeah venturi induction carburetors, don't need tps'
Old 11-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gldndrgn14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes genius, i got that part. hence my question, how do you adjust the fuel for different loads. as vacuum increases fuel would increase, making it linear and not very tunable. it would keep the same ratio across the band. what if i dont want the same ratios all through out my map. what if i wanted different a/f ratios for different loads for what type of driving i am doing? you dont always tune for the same a/f on every cell of the map. sorry, but i wouldnt. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're using fuel injectors you can link MAP to duty cycle and ignition advance just like every other tuning device on the market. How the air moves past the injectors isn't the important part. As long as fuel injection is used, there's no reason why this system isn't every bit as tunable as your normal B-series turbo.

For the TPS, it shouldn't be difficult to calibrate the existing sensor to a cam-rod system to activate the venturis. As long as you can make a functional MAP you should have all the benefits of ITBs with more precise metering.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clarification (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're using fuel injectors you can link MAP to duty cycle and ignition advance just like every other tuning device on the market. How the air moves past the injectors isn't the important part. As long as fuel injection is used, there's no reason why this system isn't every bit as tunable as your normal B-series turbo.

For the TPS, it shouldn't be difficult to calibrate the existing sensor to a cam-rod system to activate the venturis. As long as you can make a functional MAP you should have all the benefits of ITBs with more precise metering.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but will he even need a TPS? THe TPS's basic function is to tell teh ECU how much the throttle is depressed so it knows how much fuel to pump, since fuel is being venturied there's no need for the ECU to know.

And just like any other carburated system it'll be completely adjustable a/f mix with the a/f screw where the air comes in...should be a hot system, I'm up for pix.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Clarification (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, but will he even need a TPS? THe TPS's basic function is to tell teh ECU how much the throttle is depressed so it knows how much fuel to pump, since fuel is being venturied there's no need for the ECU to know.

And just like any other carburated system it'll be completely adjustable a/f mix with the a/f screw where the air comes in...should be a hot system, I'm up for pix.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The TPS' function is not to tell the ecu how much fuel to pump! That's the map sensor's job (well, combined with the IAT and ECT sensors because those are very important as well).

I say just play with different jets like a regular carburetor.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clarification (JDMFantasy2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFantasy2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The TPS' function is not to tell the ecu how much fuel to pump! That's the map sensor's job (well, combined with the IAT and ECT sensors because those are very important as well).

I say just play with different jets like a regular carburetor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it depends what you use base you are using. if you are using alpha-n(tps load dependant) or speed density(map based load dependant).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And just like any other carburated system it'll be completely adjustable a/f mix with the a/f screw where the air comes in...should be a hot system, I'm up for pix.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, i know i can adjust the fuel mixture for it, but my question is, can the fuel mixture be varied through out driving. like lets say for constant load and any driving under 4k rpm i want the fuel mixture at 14:1, and when i am over 70% throttle(ie drag racing, road racing, etc.) i want the fuel mixture around 13:1. is it possible. because how i understand it, which i didnt really look much into detail as i can only view the stuff on my phone since i dont have a computer right now, is it fully tunable and not linear based of the venturi.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It seems like a step backward to me...

Electronic Fuel Injection was invented to provide very precise measurements and diagnostics for the fuel delivery system, creating a more efficiently running engine...

Isn't this flushing years of technological advances down the drain?