Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Those with D16 bottom end experience, need help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those with D16 bottom end experience, need help asap!

Ok I feel like such a newbie writing my first hardcore tech post here, but this is my first engine dissasembly, and I'mup against the clock so I need some help here. I just recived a D16Z6 block from a friend, and i'm sending this block off to GE for a sleeve job, but before I send it, it has to be completley stripped. The block came to me with the water pump, oil pump, and crank assembly. I removed the water pump, removed the 5 small bolts on the face of the oil pump, removed the crank bridge with it's 10 huge bolts, and this is where I'm at. Now how do I remove the crank in it's entirety? I've also still got the splined timing belt pulley attatched to the front of the crank, does that need to be removed to remove the crank or can it stay on? From what I can see, it's looks like theres a front and rear section of the block that is atatched with hondabond around the seams (where I removed the smaller bolts around the flywheel pulley and the timing belt pulley) but I'm not sure if these "sections" are supposed to be seperated before removing the crank, even though the crank runs under these peices leading me to belive they should come out.

Bottom line, I don't want to damage the block, and I don't have access to a friends shop manual, AND i've got my back to the wall with time... so I need your help fellas!!
Old 06-08-2002, 08:11 PM
dAng!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Those with D16 bottom end experience, need help asap! (VTC_CiViC)

i'm gettin this out of a haynes manual.

Loosen the main bearing cap bridge bolts 1/4-turn at a time each, until they can be removed by hand. Note: Use the opposite order of the tightening sequence. Note if any stud bolts are used and make sure they're returned to their original locations whent he crankshaft is reinstalled.

Gently tap the bridge with a soft-face hammer, then separate the assembly from the engine block. If necessary, use a large screwdriver as a lever to remove the bridge. Try not to drop the bearing inserts if they come out with the bridge.

Carefully lift the crankshaft out of the engine...
Old 06-08-2002, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Those with D16 bottom end experience, need help asap! (Black Light)

hahah good luck man...hope i helped
Old 06-08-2002, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Those with D16 bottom end experience, need help asap! (VTC_CiViC)

Hmm, sounds like you are preparing to take that d16 to a new level, very sweet.

If you can wait a while, Ill be around your neck of the woods in about a week and a half, Ill bring my Helms