Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is there any way to change a water pump without taking off the crank pulley!??!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there any way to change a water pump without taking off the crank pulley!??!

OK I need to put in a new water pump,
already got the pump..
and I got to work at getting to putting it on..
but I need to get the timing belt cover off.. which is plugged up by the
dang crank pulley.. so I have to get that off...

only thing is that the crank pulley bolt is on there tougher than anything you would ever believe.
The engine just bends into its motor mounts for days when I try to get it off.
I have a 2foot long torque wrench im usin(i probly shouldnt use it for this, but its the only thing I have with enough leverage to do any sort of good).

now I came on here and did some searches for an ez way to get the bolt off,
but all I found was frickin HORROR STORIES!!

one guys GOOD story about how he succeeded, was this

"He layed under the car, and put the flywheel tool in. I heated the bolt up for a good 5-8 minutes with the propane torch, get that thing glowing red!

then he grasped the tool with all his might and was pract. hanging from it. I put on my impact and blasted away, which got it after about 35 sec.

The impact may not always break it loose but it will free up tons of stress on the bolt, then you could prob. get it with a breaker bar after heating it up again."

well I aint got no frickin propane, or torch, or impact tools... so WTF!?

is it possible to maybe bend that timing belt cover out of the way and just take out the pump right there? the pump is at the very top of it, and the last bolt(crank pulleY) is on the bottom.

just a though.

input is needed! THANKS!
Old 02-09-2004, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any way to change a water pump without taking off the crank pulley!??! (Tad)

I had the same problem, it sux , but yea i tried bending the cover and that was a mess, i just gave up and had my car towed to my shop to get it done,it will be better getting that crank pulley off
Old 02-09-2004, 02:37 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any way to change a water pump without taking off the crank pulley!??! (MuGen-bOi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MuGen-bOi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem, it sux , but yea i tried bending the cover and that was a mess, i just gave up and had my car towed to my shop to get it done,it will be better getting that crank pulley off </TD></TR></TABLE>

faawk

WELL i have no money so i'm prettymuch screwed in that department,

I might go somewhere and just havem loosen the bolt for me tho

Modified by Tad at 3:59 AM 2/9/2004
Old 02-09-2004, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is there any way to change a water pump without taking off the crank pulley!??! (Tad)

get some liquid wrench and spray that **** all over the damn bolt............ i also had to buy (after breaking two standard ratchets) a 3' breaker bar with a 1/2" ratcheting head...... with this and a 19mm bolt, i actually managed to get the bolt off without much further issue..... it ended up requiring like 150 lb-ft of applied torque..... good luck.

oh, ya....... no. you cannot change your timing belt without removing the crank pulley........... be sure not to lose your timing.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a breaker bar and just bounded the bitch, but the engine was out of the car
Old 02-09-2004, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first did my timing belt I had so much trouble getting that pulley off. I hit it with 2 different air impact guns and couldn't even budge it with either. Then I tried putting a ratchet on it and then putting a long pipe on the end...this didn't work either. Then a couple weeks later I got my friend to help me and he had airtools at his house. Well it took about 5 seconds to get the damn pulley off. I was amazed at how fast it came off when a couple weeks earlier I had been working for over an hour to just get that damn bolt loose. Just remember the good thing is that if you ever have to take it off again it will be much easier the second time. I had to take the pulley off again this saturday because I dropped a bolt and washer into the lower timing belt cover and had to get that cover off to get to the washer . Anyways the bolt came right off with an electric impact.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any way to change a water pump without taking off the crank pulley!??! (SOHC_MShue)

ah ok.

hmm i'm going to find someone with air tools, or take it to a shop...

either that or i'll just say **** changing the water pump,
i'll just keep feedin it coolant
Old 02-09-2004, 01:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ah ok.

hmm i'm going to find someone with air tools, or take it to a shop...

either that or i'll just say **** changing the water pump,
i'll just keep feedin it coolant</TD></TR></TABLE>
dont do the latter, take it to a shop...they shouldnt charge you a lot for loosening a bolt.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Is there any way to change a water pump without taking off the crank pulley!??! (milo)

I have taken mine to a shop and had them loosen the bolt. No charge either. We just snugged it up so I could drive home.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine came of with a 24" lug wrench and my dad holding the brakes while in gear
Old 02-09-2004, 04:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK I need to put in a new water pump,
already got the pump..
and I got to work at getting to putting it on..
but I need to get the timing belt cover off.. which is plugged up by the
dang crank pulley.. so I have to get that off...

only thing is that the crank pulley bolt is on there tougher than anything you would ever believe.
The engine just bends into its motor mounts for days when I try to get it off.
I have a 2foot long torque wrench im usin(i probly shouldnt use it for this, but its the only thing I have with enough leverage to do any sort of good).

now I came on here and did some searches for an ez way to get the bolt off,
but all I found was frickin HORROR STORIES!!

one guys GOOD story about how he succeeded, was this

"He layed under the car, and put the flywheel tool in. I heated the bolt up for a good 5-8 minutes with the propane torch, get that thing glowing red!

then he grasped the tool with all his might and was pract. hanging from it. I put on my impact and blasted away, which got it after about 35 sec.

The impact may not always break it loose but it will free up tons of stress on the bolt, then you could prob. get it with a breaker bar after heating it up again."

well I aint got no frickin propane, or torch, or impact tools... so WTF!?

is it possible to maybe bend that timing belt cover out of the way and just take out the pump right there? the pump is at the very top of it, and the last bolt(crank pulleY) is on the bottom.

just a though.

input is needed! THANKS!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll be your savior noob. use a sturdy breaker bar. put it into the crank bolt. take the ecu fuse out or fuel cut off. make sure your braker bar is laying on the ground if it is long enough. or lean it against your mount axel or something sturdy.. then crank your car real quick and the bolt will be loosen.. remmember only a quick turn of the key.. gurantee to come off.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any way to change a water pump without taking off the crank pulley!??! (b-powa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b-powa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'll be your savior noob. use a sturdy breaker bar. put it into the crank bolt. take the ecu fuse out or fuel cut off. make sure your braker bar is laying on the ground if it is long enough. or lean it against your mount axel or something sturdy.. then crank your car real quick and the bolt will be loosen.. remmember only a quick turn of the key.. gurantee to come off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm, sounds like a plan.

2bad I aint got no breaker bar
Old 02-09-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Is there any way to change a water pump without taking off the crank pulley!??! (b-powa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b-powa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'll be your savior noob. use a sturdy breaker bar. put it into the crank bolt. take the ecu fuse out or fuel cut off. make sure your braker bar is laying on the ground if it is long enough. or lean it against your mount axel or something sturdy.. then crank your car real quick and the bolt will be loosen.. remmember only a quick turn of the key.. gurantee to come off. </TD></TR></TABLE>
the pulley turns couterclockwise, you loosen the bolt counterclockwise, hows that gonna work?????