Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Thermostat Problem - ONE QUICK QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 02:18 AM
Louie_EM1

Default Thermostat Problem - ONE QUICK QUESTION

Yeah I searched; a lot of help yet one question still remains a mystery.

My fan wasn't turning on so I decided to jump the ECT switch (thermoswitch) and yay it worked; first time I've seen that fan go on for maybe a year; never had an overheating issue.
Anyways, I bled the coolant a few days back and I think I may still have air in it even though I did run with the car on for like 15mins with the radiator cap off.
I will be replacing the thermostat as well due to I don't want that being broken as well, I donno if I have a bad thermostat but I will be assuming I do, mind as well change it while it's there.
Will a bad thermostat or a bad thermoswitch be a cause for bad bleeding?
Also when I bleed the coolant I never saw 'bubbling' coolant come out...it accutally spilled out slightly; is it supposed to bubble, what am I looking for as for as actions from the radiator cap?
Thanks a lot.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thermostat Problem - ONE QUICK QUESTION (Louie_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Louie_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will a bad thermostat or a bad thermoswitch be a cause for bad bleeding?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shouldn't, even with the thermostat "closed" coolant still circulates.

As far as bleeding, you'll see coolant stream out, then air bubbles, coolant streaming, bubbles. If for 10 secs you don't see any bubbles you probably have all the air out of the system. You said you hadn't seen the fan come on for a long time. I would guess it's the thermoswitch then. Wouldn't hurt to do the thermostat at the same time for a few extra $.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't there a little valve on the thermostat housing to bleed the coolant system? Gotta open it until no more bubbles appear then close it and you're done?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's on the upper radiator hose housing.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: Thermostat Problem - ONE QUICK QUESTION (wilsel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wilsel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Shouldn't, even with the thermostat "closed" coolant still circulates.

As far as bleeding, you'll see coolant stream out, then air bubbles, coolant streaming, bubbles. If for 10 secs you don't see any bubbles you probably have all the air out of the system. You said you hadn't seen the fan come on for a long time. I would guess it's the thermoswitch then. Wouldn't hurt to do the thermostat at the same time for a few extra $.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Great information, thanks it really cleared what I was looking for.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:30 AM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't there a little valve on the thermostat housing to bleed the coolant system? Gotta open it until no more bubbles appear then close it and you're done?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I believe this is on earlier models. B16a2 does not have em.