Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

symptoms of worn clutch???????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default symptoms of worn clutch???????

the other day this passed friday, when i was in 4th gear going 40ish and gave it a bit more throttle and noticed that it reved up a bit. i ordered exedy organic stage 1 clutch with no flywheel.

and today Got worsed! at stop light it would rev up a bit around 3k rpms to get it moving

I do know that when i first did the jdm itr swap in the ek. It had an insane jdm clutch setup, i had ppl telling me its a stage 4, double disk, guerrilla style clutch. I would have to rev match if i down shifted if not **** would buck HARD. anyways i kept it didnt want to spend anymore and finally i can change it.

any input on that? never had to change clutch before on previouse cars.

THanks Pat

Old 12-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: symptoms of worn clutch??????? (h8ted ek)

sounds like it's slipping but... do you smell clutch any?? it has a distinct smell
Old 12-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: symptoms of worn clutch??????? (Throwdown)

man its hard to say right now a plastic bag caught under the mid pipe and is burnin away.

so it should have a scent or smell to it if my clutch is going bad?

hope that doesnt sound like a dumb question
Old 12-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should rev match when you downshift all the time
Old 12-17-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: (bsixteen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bsixteen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should rev match when you downshift all the time</TD></TR></TABLE>
how do you know at what r.p.m's you should be at the lower gear?
Old 12-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lamboextreme)

could we just stick with the subject. its not something new, rev matching can help relieve stress off the tranny.

i just came on the board to check out if someone could verify the sympton i have is a "slippage"

and for lambo, go practice that, get a feel. it straight up varies on every car and wat kind of gearing ratio they have. i dont even know what speed. i just give it rev and down shift, it just catches it.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:58 PM

Default Re: (h8ted ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h8ted ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and for lambo, go practice that, get a feel. it straight up varies on every car and wat kind of gearing ratio they have. i dont even know what speed. i just give it rev and down shift, it just catches it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so the proper way is to rev before shifting or while shifting? thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 07:14 PM

Your post is confusing a bit but I'll give it a shot..
If you notice the tach rev's are suddenly high and you dont feel acceleration to match those revs, that is a usual obvious sign of the clutch slipping.
I also dont know your setup, but if you are running a stock motor you definately do not need a "gorilla" setup.. An OEM replacement, or even a Stage 1 will do perfect.
Also, when you have such a heavy pressure plate or clutch setup you tend to ride it that much more to get it going without bucking..Thus, "burning" it faster. You should definately smell something if your clutch is going out on you.
Keep in mind that when you change out the clutch, you should always get your flywheel resurfaced if not changed out also. GL
Old 12-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (bsixteen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bsixteen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should rev match when you downshift all the time</TD></TR></TABLE>

For once I have to agree 100% w/ this guy.

You always should rev match when downshifting.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamboextreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
how do you know at what r.p.m's you should be at the lower gear?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You just know, I mean just because you asked that question I can tell you're kinda new to manual transmissions. Once you're driving them for awhile you'll know exactly what to expect when down shifting as far as RPM matching goes.

More you do it, easier it gets. Then you start doing **** like heal/toe on instinct when going down hills and such, and it just kinda "flows."

Give yourself 6 months or so and you'll have either ROASTED your clutch or will know how to drive a standard.

Important tips:
- If it's groaning more than the car is moving - you're burning the clutch, clutch or gas, pick one.
- It's HORRIBLE for the car to just pull the clutch when ds'ing, especially if you're tranny breaking. Clutch, kick the RPM's up, then let the clutch out smoothly.
- With a honda downshift if you fall below 2k - you'll lug the **** outta the motor if you don't.
- When starting on hills it's better if your tires chirp a little than if it takes you 3 full seconds to have the clutch full out.

Msg me if you need any help, I've taught plenty of people to drive standard.

Please don't be arrogant and be like "I ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DRIVE STANDARD" because you completely would not be asking that question if you did...and I'm not bashing you for it - just wanna help.

Throw me a PM, be more than happy to help.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

p.m.ed