Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sway bar sizing? someone help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sway bar sizing? someone help!!

I have a 97 civic dx coupe that I'm getting the EX LCA so I can run front and rear sway bars, what's a good size? i plan on getting an asr brace for the rear to prevent tearing and they look pretty cool lol. I'm not sure if their is any other benefit other then preventing tearing if so could someone inform me? I'm new to this. but what would be a good size that I dont have to worry about ruining the car. my car will be a DD that I can have fun with. I have function and form type 1 coil overs if that makes a difference. thanks in advance, you guys are always helping me out tons.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Re: sway bar sizing? someone help!!

Well you really only have two choices for the front, the 22mm or the 26mm from an Si. The Si one requires either Si endlinks/shock forks/LCAs or to be drilled out and used with last gen prelude end links. The latter option gives less than ideal geometry. For a street car setup this is my favorite front bar for “ek” chassis. It allows you to keep some bump compliance in the front end and still have good turn-in and fairly flat cornering. Super stiff spring no front bar setups can work well on track cars but ride and drive like **** on street tires in my opinion.

Rear bar-wise, sky is the limit as long as you are braced up. 22mm is plenty for most street setups but there are sizes all the way from 14mm up to 32mm tubular bars. Anything besides the stock Si 14mm rear will require some sort of aftermarket end link to mount properly and have good geometry.

FWIW, the setup I run is Koni Sport/GC 380/250, Si front bar (stock non-Si arms), ITR rear bar w/ rod end type end links, Hardrace bushings throughout, and 205/50r15 Direzza Zii’s. Total street car, rides acceptably despite being a touch too low, is a blast to drive in the canyons and is plenty easy to coax the rear end around without being snappy or oversteer-y. It’s a very balanced setup.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good info here thank you very much will keep all this in mind. what about aftermarket bars? I've seen a couple kits online for around $350
Old 04-25-2019, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
Well you really only have two choices for the front, the 22mm or the 26mm from an Si. The Si one requires either Si endlinks/shock forks/LCAs or to be drilled out and used with last gen prelude end links. The latter option gives less than ideal geometry. For a street car setup this is my favorite front bar for “ek” chassis. It allows you to keep some bump compliance in the front end and still have good turn-in and fairly flat cornering. Super stiff spring no front bar setups can work well on track cars but ride and drive like **** on street tires in my opinion.

Rear bar-wise, sky is the limit as long as you are braced up. 22mm is plenty for most street setups but there are sizes all the way from 14mm up to 32mm tubular bars. Anything besides the stock Si 14mm rear will require some sort of aftermarket end link to mount properly and have good geometry.

FWIW, the setup I run is Koni Sport/GC 380/250, Si front bar (stock non-Si arms), ITR rear bar w/ rod end type end links, Hardrace bushings throughout, and 205/50r15 Direzza Zii’s. Total street car, rides acceptably despite being a touch too low, is a blast to drive in the canyons and is plenty easy to coax the rear end around without being snappy or oversteer-y. It’s a very balanced setup.

also, so is the 26mm front bar off the 99-00 si? I have ex LCA how could I make this work the end link would mount in different directions. sorry if I missed something just kinda lost here. for the rear where you used the ITR what end links did you use, any modifications to your rear lower control arms or anything?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lonely_driver4
also, so is the 26mm front bar off the 99-00 si? I have ex LCA how could I make this work the end link would mount in different directions. sorry if I missed something just kinda lost here. for the rear where you used the ITR what end links did you use, any modifications to your rear lower control arms or anything?
The Si one requires either Si endlinks/shock forks/LCAs or to be drilled out and used with last gen prelude end links.
I answered your question before you asked it.

You must drill the ends of the bar to 12mm to accept the prelude end links. The geometry is not correct with this method. I recommend trading/selling you EX arms for some Si arms if you wish to go this route.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I answered your question before you asked it.

You must drill the ends of the bar to 12mm to accept the prelude end links. The geometry is not correct with this method. I recommend trading/selling you EX arms for some Si arms if you wish to go this route.
I've heard their is more sway bar options if you go with the ex LCA over the si. is this true?
Old 04-25-2019, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe if there is an aftermarket option, I’m not sure. EX gets you the 22mm or modded 26mm, Si gets you to the 26mm. 24mm DC/EG bar does not fit unless you swap in the entire subframe. Lots of work to get an in-between bar size.

You don’t need a lot of options for the front bar, the rear is where you will want to do your tuning.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.procivic.com/p/ym/1997/c...EaArjJEALw_wcB

would this be a good option for me? is that a trust worthy name? good quality? it has a 26mm front and 17mm rear, I can use my ex LCAs with it to. is this a good alternative to getting si LCAs and si sway bar?
Old 04-26-2019, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could do that for the front. It still uses the less than ideal stacked bushing endlinks, but otherwise will work fine with your arms. It will be a complete kit too, so that’s nice.

For the rear I highly suggest you consider this kit:

https://www.asrparts.com/collections...-brace-swaybar

I’m currently having a new subframe welded into my car due to not having sufficient reinforcement for the bar that was in there. The Eibach kit suffers from a lack of reinforcement too.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

HIGHLY suggest.