Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my rear disk conversation transformation

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my rear disk conversation transformation

just thought I'd share with you guys my integra trailing arms that are going on my 97 civic coupe. start to finish pictures, I'm pretty proud of myself I'm 18 years old and did everything the right way, I'm trying not to cut any corners on my civic. tell me what you think!

fresh from the junk yard, picked then up for $50

back side of them from the junk yard

apart and ready for sand blasting, burnt the bushings out in the middle of the day in my neighborhood 😊

new parts in, exciting!!

all sandblasted did it all in a night

got everything powder coated the same day for $75 got it all done locally

nice and shiny, like new ready for assembly

fully assembled ready to bolt on, stoked on the whole restoration
Old 04-23-2019, 01:30 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: my rear disk conversation transformation

Damn, nicely done. Wish I knew someone who could sandblast and powder coat locally.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Looks really good. I should mention, many of the experts here at Honda-Tech always advise avoiding the solid poly bushings for the trailing arm bushing. That one bushing requires more give than solid poly bushings and you will find it doesn't work out well or long.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Looks like crap.

Very nicely done! I wish mine looked like that!
Old 04-23-2019, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard it can cause binding, what's that all about??
Old 04-23-2019, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra
Looks like crap.

thanks lol appreciate it

Very nicely done! I wish mine looked like that!
Old 04-23-2019, 06:45 PM
Hysterically Calm

If you are doing a track only car, the solid bushings will net you better performance and track cars tend to be tore down and rebuilt consistently etc.

For street use with all the bumps, holes, uneven surfaces etc, the solid bushing doesn't provide enough flexibility for the trailing arm and the bushing tends to bind and possibly rip under the duress.

I think to go poly on the trailing arm bushing for a daily driver/street machine you would need something like this:
081105B: Rear trailing arm mount bush - 400 - Rover

Or even better, this:

https://motoiq.com/project-dc2-integ...ith-whiteline/

You will have to scroll down a bit to get to the whiteline trailing arm bushing design.
Also reading their explanation, the solid bushing isn't good for track use either, with steering issues binding etc.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Well done youngster !!! It is obvious you are a car lover. Welcome to the fan club.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:14 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks awesome, dude! A rear disk swap is definitely on my list!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:19 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Looks great! Yeah on my RTSi when I got it the poly bushing the P.O. had installed were crumbling in place while it was parked! Granted I have no clue how long they were installed in there nor the quality but rubber certainly doesn't do that. I replaced with some aftermarket OEM-style rubber ones.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Looks great! Yeah on my RTSi when I got it the poly bushing the P.O. had installed were crumbling in place while it was parked! Granted I have no clue how long they were installed in there nor the quality but rubber certainly doesn't do that. I replaced with some aftermarket OEM-style rubber ones.
I hope the energy suspension bushings do me good, I wanted to upgrade from OEM because my old ones were torn and my crv did the same thing, I'm more concerned about handling. I hope it makes an improvement, I've heard great things about them and bad. guess I'll find out in a couple months when I actually bolt them up.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lonely_driver4
I hope the energy suspension bushings do me good, I wanted to upgrade from OEM because my old ones were torn and my crv did the same thing, I'm more concerned about handling. I hope it makes an improvement, I've heard great things about them and bad. guess I'll find out in a couple months when I actually bolt them up.
thank you Btw!!
Old 04-24-2019, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Looks really good. I should mention, many of the experts here at Honda-Tech always advise avoiding the solid poly bushings for the trailing arm bushing. That one bushing requires more give than solid poly bushings and you will find it doesn't work out well or long.
I'm not tracking the car or doing any crazy sprinted driving just a fun DD back road cruiser, maybe a few vtec pulls down a curvy road do you think it will really have a negative outcome? I'm no where near a suspention wiz this is my first build but I would think the stiffer the better, right?
Old 04-25-2019, 04:59 AM
Hysterically Calm

Using ES bushing everywhere except the trailing arm bushing is what everyone says gives great performance.

The article of the DC2 build stated it messes up performance steering and causes binding. The binding is what I believe rips the bushing. It's the only bushings in the car you don't want a solid bushing.

The design of the Rear Trailing Arm Lower Front Bushing is super critical when designing a performance part with less flex.
This bushing needs to be stiff in the up and down and axial plane but have radial stiffness to control toe under side and braking loads. Some companies have solid bushings, but these cause severe bind, locking up the suspension and causing oversteer as well as a bad ride.

Whiteline’s part has controlled compliance with 4 windows in the urethane to allow the suspension to articulate with a solid ring center to keep the alignment under control. This is one of the best bushing designs we have seen for the trailing arm.

Previously, we have only recommended the OEM bushing in this location, but the Whiteline part should work well.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Using ES bushing everywhere except the trailing arm bushing is what everyone says gives great performance.

The article of the DC2 build stated it messes up performance steering and causes binding. The binding is what I believe rips the bushing. It's the only bushings in the car you don't want a solid bushing.
thanks alot, maybe I'll consider other ones. by the sounds of it running them wont damage the car just theb bushings right?
Old 04-25-2019, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks good!

Do you plan on changing out Master cylinder and proportioning valve? I know some models don't require the prop valve, but it's been a little bit since I've done mine, so I don't remember.
Also you'll want the Civic SI e-brake lines if you don't have them already.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ericjergs
Looks good!

Do you plan on changing out Master cylinder and proportioning valve? I know some models don't require the prop valve, but it's been a little bit since I've done mine, so I don't remember.
Also you'll want the Civic SI e-brake lines if you don't have them already.
yes I need ebrake lines still and i planned on doing a MC not sure what one would work best with my set up tho gotta do some research lol
Old 04-26-2019, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes I need ebrake lines still and i planned on doing a MC not sure what one would work best with my set up tho gotta do some research lol
wait wait wait...a newbie that does research?!?! Am I in an alternate universe?!?

JK though, looks fantastic! Keep up the good work!
Old 04-26-2019, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by black94sol
wait wait wait...a newbie that does research?!?! Am I in an alternate universe?!?

JK though, looks fantastic! Keep up the good work!
I try to learn as much as I can lol kinda hard to when your the only one in town that's actually into hondas, no lie lol their is one other guy in my town but hes not super friendly. I cant just ask him for advice without him being a dick about it and how his car is so much better bla bla bla.. you guys are all i got for help. any other advice on learning about Honda stuff? I have a couple books and I mainly just read alot of stuff on Honda tech super helpful so far..
Old 04-26-2019, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I try to learn as much as I can lol kinda hard to when your the only one in town that's actually into hondas, no lie lol their is one other guy in my town but hes not super friendly. I cant just ask him for advice without him being a dick about it and how his car is so much better bla bla bla.. you guys are all i got for help. any other advice on learning about Honda stuff? I have a couple books and I mainly just read alot of stuff on Honda tech super helpful so far..
Same, except there not even so much as anyone rude around here.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive got a 1” ITR on mine, but I’ve got bigger brakes than I started with.

You’ll get a lot of different opinions on what to use. Going with the same size (not necessarily the exact one as it may not bolt up to your brake booster) as what your brakes came from can be a safe way to go.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Freedo_Civegra;51918338]Ive got a 1” ITR on mine, but I’ve got bigger brakes than I started with.

You’ll get a lot of different opinions on what to use. Going with the same size (not necessarily the exact one as it may not bolt up to your brake booster) as what your brakes came from can be a safe way to go.[/QUOTE

do you know if I could use one for my civic off an integra? I have integra brakes on my civic so would it bolt up? if not what about a crv maybe?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you know if I could use one for my civic off an integra? I have integra brakes on my civic so would it bolt up? if not what about a crv maybe?
What Integra did they come from?

I think any 1998-2001 Integra master cylinder will bolt up to your booster. The ITR is the biggest, but the 15/16” would probably be fine, too.

Others may want to give their thoughts.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I ended up going with the Em1 master cylinder. It's a good feel and I can modulate pressure easily. If you get too big of a master for the brakes you have, I've heard you'll have a really stiff pedal with minimal travel. I wanna say the em1 is 7/8...I purchased whatever decent brand rockauto was selling under the em1 category.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

EM1 7/8”? I think I’ve got one of those...

Quick Reply: my rear disk conversation transformation