Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

swap questions after reading faq b16a1 into EG civic, sort of.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swap questions after reading faq b16a1 into EG civic, sort of.

Long story short
1961 morris mini, and a b16a1 and I want to put them together.
I bought a full wiring harness from an EG 94 civic, model unknown.
I intend to put that in the car.
Motor is obd0(price was right).

So I have found I'll need an obd1 distributor courtesy of the faq.
I'll have to modify the harness to deal with the vtec solenoid and vtec pressure.
I'll have to convert to a 4 wire o2 sensor.

Some things still need to be clarified.

Injectors- it says in the faq that I'll need different injectors, I've also seen somewhere that they(the obd0 injectors) could be modified to work. Given that they are ~$280 to purchase...if I could use the old ones it would make me happy.

Knock sensor-it states "add a knock sensor except when using a chipped p28". I have a stock p30, therefore I should add a knock sensor. I'm assuming that if you modify any ecu you can go without the ecu(or is it just the p28?). What are the pros and cons of that.

Lastly, something that should be pretty easy for you folks(but not for someone new to hondas). I know my wiring harness is from a 94 civic, however I don't know what model. The faq says the cx and vx must convert to a 4 wire o2 sensor. I think the cx and vx were base versions. My harness has provisions for power windows and locks, any chance that rules the harness out of being a cx or vx?

Thank you for any info or links you can provide, I have searched quite a bit here and elsewhere, but it is a little daunting when you don't even know the correct search criteria.

I have also considered going obd0, as I do have the engine side harness and pr3 ecu, as it would likely be cheaper. However, I'm assuming I'd be much happier with obd1, if I wish start messing with ecu tuning.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swap questions after reading faq b16a1 into EG civic, sort of. (sachilles)

gather your thoughts and redo this post, TMI man too disorganized
Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swap questions after reading faq b16a1 into EG civic, sort of. (95vxtealhatch)

dah dah dah... ill start with that.

i follow your reasoning.

you need some new injectors to go with the harness. tada!! i have those so pm me and ill sell them cheap.

power windows and locks means an ex model so no need to convert to 4 wire o2 sensor. also that harness has vtec already wired into it. so you dont need to worry about that.

you will have to wire knock to use the p30. that ecu might also be OBD2 so you might need a conversion harness to use that ecu with your wiring harness.

what country are you in?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 AM

Default Re: swap questions after reading faq b16a1 into EG civic, sort of. (davefromPA)

Sorry for the scattered thoughts. All of this stuff is a little overwhelming to learn in a short amount of time. I do appreciate the help. The standard mini isn't very complicated by comparison.
I'm in the USA in Vermont.

I was told the ecu was an obd1 P30, and the sticker on the side matches that. However if it does turn out to be obd2, I can get the conversion harness no problem.

Good news on the wiring harness, good to know I don't have to do any converting there(one less issue to deal with).

Knock Sensor- Is this as simple as buying the correct knock sensor, attach it to the motor, and plug into an existing plug in the wiring harness? Or must I modify something on either the motor or harness side?

Dave, I may take you up on your offer for the injectors...expect a PM shortly.

For those that care to follow the project, you can see details here
http://www.vtecminis.com/viewtopic.php?t=114
If you surf around their forum you can see all sorts of fun projects that involve minis and honda power(and non honda).
Old 10-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swap questions after reading faq b16a1 into EG civic, sort of. (sachilles)

someone check me saying this but the OBD1 ex model civic did not have a knock sensor. if that is the case, you must wire the knock sensor directly to the ecu. someone else will chime in no doubt.

as for the injectors. 20 shipped and they are yours. pm me for paypal.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Default Re: swap questions after reading faq b16a1 into EG civic, sort of. (davefromPA)

I'll take them.
I can't figure out how to pm you, only IM you. Perhaps I'm too new a user to have access to PMs.
I can be emailed at sachilles at sugarbush.com
Old 10-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the instant message on here is what pm is. its a private message.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 AM

sent the IM, hope you were able to receive it. Our IT department has things pretty well locked down....and I wouldn't doubt if that messed with things. If not, just get in touch with me via email above.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

responded with paypal. now back on topic...