Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

swap cost question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swap cost question

well ive been looking for a car for a while im looking into maybe doing a engine swap. i might be able to pick up a rolling 98 hatchback shell for about 2000 and a supercharged b16 for 2500 or so. i was just wondering how much would a swap cost on average. i havent actually looked at it yet but according to the guy i talked to that had the motor. its a complete engine/tranny. with mounts and harness.i actually kind of wanted to put power steering and a/c on it too, how much more would that cost? finally if i put a itr lsd and new clutch in could the installation be included in the cost of the swap or would it be extra? im just trying to get a feel for how much this would cost to see if it fits in my budget which is 6100. if anyone has any imput let me know thanks.

this is kind of a question directed towards shop owners, if someone brought this car to your shop how much would you charge them?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swap cost question (nathanie1)

did u try SEARCH great shop
Old 11-19-2006, 09:00 PM

Depends on what condition rolling chassis... What year the engine is to the body is it coming complete with an ecu how much modification is involved not much with the b16. Also it depends on if you are supplying the shop with all the parts we need to complete the swap from point A to point B..
I am not an actual shop I have just been running from shop to shop getting estimates from legite mechanics the price varies you need to be able to hand over any information needed for the estimate a B16 having a shop do it for you with you already supplying the parts so there is no need for the shop themselves this is your
Mounts
ECU
Interior and exterior harness (assuming you dont have them and arent having the run vtec wires and so on)
cable to hydro tranny conversion (if applicable)
modification to engine toy to restrain motor to the bay safely

Ive gotten estimates running from 1 to 2k depending on how industrialized they are.
you've also got to remember that not all shops will do it due to the fact that if they put it in you can hold them responsible for any problems that may occur after swapping so it all varies provide us a little more info on what your actually providing here conditon of the motor chassis what is going to be needed what will you be supplying and so on and i can give you more info

also if you look around here you can find alot of people that will do it just because they have the experience here on honda tech that way you can pay alot less and help putting it in thus knowing everything was done correctly hope this helps a lil bit later

Old 11-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swap cost question (Jhonny Ricer)

appreciate the info im actually gonna go take a look at the motor on tuesday to see whats all there, but according to the guy i talked to, it was just pulled it from his 00 si and its complete with ecu, harness, mounts "everything" thats needed to drop the motor according to him. as far as the shell, its in excellent condition, cant believe theyre getting rid of it for so cheap, clean title, power windows/lock/mirrors, after market sunroof, full interior( minus the center console controls) all its literally missing is an engine.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:23 PM

Just remember they need to do wiring inside the car to accomidate for the vtec wich none of the 98 hatchs came with. thattl add a lil bit more onto the bill and if they dont know what they are doing and dont wire it up correctly you are not going to have a running engine or you cel will be on
Old 11-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: swap cost question (Jhonny Ricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jhonny Ricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just remember they need to do wiring inside the car to accomidate for the vtec wich none of the 98 hatchs came with. thattl add a lil bit more onto the bill and if they dont know what they are doing and dont wire it up correctly you are not going to have a running engine or you cel will be on </TD></TR></TABLE>

if he buys it with the harness, then it is already wired. any good shop you bring it too will wire up everything. if its not you will throw a cel. but you are looking in the price range of 700-1000 if you bring it to a shop.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:03 AM

Default Re: swap cost question (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but you are looking in the price range of 700-1000 if you bring it to a shop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For just the swap I am assuming you are talking about, correct? If so, I would add probably what, another grand for clutch and LSD for parts and install.

-Shane
Old 11-20-2006, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swap cost question (nighttrain33)

i got a quote for $450 for the labor on everything