Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suspension..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension..

Ok, so i'm bringing it to the correct thread.

I have a 95 EG Coupe, EX. I swapped in a JDM H22 Type S motor, and from what I was told, the added weight over the front in comparison to a B Series is significant (Now seeing that H's weigh only 35lbs or so more then a B, i'm starting not to see how it could matter). Anyway...

I looked up several suggestions...

Ground Control's..
Tein's
K PRO's..

ect..

ALL OF THEM ARE OUT OF MY BUDGET..and I need coil overs.

I want to drop the car evenly..and I DO NOT mind a stiff ride at all, matter of fact, the stiffer the better.

Do I absolutely need coil overs? Can I just use Lowering Springs? Does the H on deck require that much of an accomidation up front?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension..

Coilovers will ruin struts if they are stock I would go lowering springs. and every little bit counts. the H is alot bigger and normally isnt designed to fit in the car I heard that you have to do away with Pwr steering and AC with the H22 but i dont know for sure. AC is something i coulnt live with out.. power steering would be nice but it would be crappy to not run power steering when you have the power steering rack installed it would be very hard to steer i imagine
Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
Coilovers will ruin struts if they are stock I would go lowering springs. and every little bit counts. the H is alot bigger and normally isnt designed to fit in the car I heard that you have to do away with Pwr steering and AC with the H22 but i dont know for sure. AC is something i coulnt live with out.. power steering would be nice but it would be crappy to not run power steering when you have the power steering rack installed it would be very hard to steer i imagine
Well I have driven the car (Without a tune...I know, blasphemy), and yes it has no AC or PS (Not really concerned with either), I manage well, the wheels aren't big so its not hard to turn and i'ma big guy so I've got the upper body strength to make light work of the wheel..so no complaints. It's just that with stock suspension and ride height the handling characteristics are GROSSLY undesirable, It plows VERY hard into corners, rolls alot more then i'd like in corners and Nose dives and squats under acceleration and braking. I'd LOVE an inch and a half, maybe 2 inches dropped front and backt to settle it all down nicely if possible.

So no Coil Overs, you'd suggest Lowering Springs and a good set of Struts?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WavyIntegra
Well I have driven the car (Without a tune...I know, blasphemy), and yes it has no AC or PS (Not really concerned with either), I manage well, the wheels aren't big so its not hard to turn and i'ma big guy so I've got the upper body strength to make light work of the wheel..so no complaints. It's just that with stock suspension and ride height the handling characteristics are GROSSLY undesirable, It plows VERY hard into corners, rolls alot more then i'd like in corners and Nose dives and squats under acceleration and braking. I'd LOVE an inch and a half, maybe 2 inches dropped front and backt to settle it all down nicely if possible.

So no Coil Overs, you'd suggest Lowering Springs and a good set of Struts?
I just sold Tokico Illumnia 5 way adjustable shocks with H&R sport springs all for an EG for 270 shipped.. They were in GREAT condish... So look around, there are tons of deals out there in the HOnda-Tech Marketplace
Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah they are much more stable unless u get the Big dollar full coilovers. My car has no Pwr steering either im used to it becuase my first car was an 86 fiero GT and that didnt have any pwer steering either.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Reject Papi

i'm pretty sure the weight difference isn't that much. honestly, its alot less than the difference between driving alone or with a friend up front.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/settle-h22-vs-b-series-weight-arguement-i-bring-you-pics-684550/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/h22-swap-rumors-truth-362984/
Old 01-27-2010, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thierry
I just sold Tokico Illumnia 5 way adjustable shocks with H&R sport springs all for an EG for 270 shipped.. They were in GREAT condish... So look around, there are tons of deals out there in the HOnda-Tech Marketplace
You know I moved through that section of the site a lil bit but I didn't see anything I'd consider a deal..maybe i'll give it a second look. THat is CERTAINLY a banging price..i'd have paid that.

And I agree with what was said about the weight, even while driving it, it doesn't feel any different from the drive I had in my friends EG Coupe with an LS-VTEC in it weight wise. I think the H's weight is often over hyped because of the fanbase of the B-Series is generally greater.