Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

subs messin with battery and alternator! help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subs messin with battery and alternator! help

i need a new alternater b/c my system keeps killin my battery and i already have a cap and a new battery. but now i think my subs are [freak]in with my alternater cuz my car starts when it wants to. so i need a new alternater i guess. but someone told me i should get i higher amp alternator. something powerful to power my battery, windows, lights locks, sterro, subs and etc.

i just dont know how many amps is a stock alternator?

& how much of a high amp of an alternator should i get without putting stress on my engine ?

or should i just get an extra battery in the trunk for the subs but i have a cap??.

i have a 94 del sol with two JL SUBS that are 12s with a 850 watt amp and a 1200 watt cap

HELP ME IM SO LOST !
Old 07-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: subs messin with battery and alternator! help (doubledee)

Wrong section I think. 850w shouldnt be enough to kill your alt. But if its old then it probably is in need of replacement. I think the oem civic alternator is like 80 amp. You should be ok with a new OEM alt. But if you like your subs and think you might increase the power or add another amp then youll want a high output one.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:35 PM

capacitors are crap..... they do not fix the problem they only help hide it.
the best thing to do is get a high power alternator and maybe a better battery.
if you have a EK you can fit a full size optima yellow top D34/78 battery with making to small cuts in the battery case and flip the battery tray or put some wood down in it for a flat surface otherwise it will cut into the batterys bottom. i use one in my 99civic. tho a EG i dont think has enough room but then again i never tried.
no battery hold down needed either since its already a tight fit
tho i have quite a bit of upgraded stuff on my 99civic

for best results upgrade both. high power alternator and a good large battery..... you can also do a dual battery setup. tho with a dual battery setup you really want to have both batteries the same age. otherwise the older one could pull the voltage down from the good one.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would check the amp wires make sure it's a good ground and not a weak one, that would cause your battery to die I had that same thing happen to my old car. I though it was the Alternator so I had it tested and that was not the problem, I installed the amp myself and had a bad ground. I would also check the wiring on your stereo if any wires are grounding to frame that would cause the battery to drain. If all this fails take your alternator to autozone and have it tested first before you spend money on a new one.

Modified by reyrey2006 at 3:49 PM 7/27/2008