Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stuck compression tester

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stuck compression tester

I can't get the compression tester out. The hose spins freely but the adapter doesn't move.

Here is a video:

It's one of these:

The hose spins forever but the adapter doesn't move at all.

Any tips?
Old 08-15-2015, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stuck compression tester

Maybe this thread will help u.https://honda-tech.com/honda-crx-ef-...-hole-2700178/
Old 08-15-2015, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. Unfortunately the provided tip (trying to remove it while pressurized) didn't yield any results. Trying to keep calm, this is a mess. :/
Old 08-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did u try removing the valve cover to see if u could get closer to it?
Old 08-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

When you say adapter, do you mean you had to put thread the adapter onto the end of the threaded part of the compression tester?

If so, it looks as if the hose should be unscrewing from the adapter and once out you can use a socket to unscrew the adapter piece.

If not, then I would suggest really long needle nose pliers that can reach the crimped part of the hose. It would need to be crimped more to grab the threaded head of the tester again as it sounds like it's broken free of being crimped.

Or like the other thread ended up doing. Cut the hose and use a really long but not wide flat tip screw driver, insert it into the hose all the way down and softly tap it into the threaded head and then unscrew.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:49 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it sprays the pb in the hole
Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

I had this happen before. It's because the threaded end of the hose is crimped onto the hose via a swivel for some ungodly reason. The way I got mine off was by letting the engine cool down (since the test should be done with the engine hot). Once cooled, the fitting finally spun out of the hole. Scared me enough though that I no longer use my compression tester.

I was thinking about buying a 14mm long-reach compression tester adapter, but never wanted to blow the $$. I probably will the next time I absolutely need to do a compression test...

Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try pulling up on the compression tester hose while simultaneously unscrewing it? I'm sure you did..but just asking.

Worse comes to worse and last fix-to-try scenario you could probably JB weld 2 long flat head screwdrivers to the sides of the compression tester's metal base (above threads), let cure overnight. Should be enough to provide leverage and torque to loosen and remove compression tester. Alternatively, instead of using your hands to turn the screwdriver handles, you could place the screwdrivers between the handles of a large channel lock pliers for evenly applied pressure while unscrewing.
Just be careful to not JB weld screwdrivers to cylinder head. Easily avoided by masking tape tips of screwdrivers.. apply JB weld above tape and use small amount that won't overflow or flow downward.

****.I should have watched the video first.. doubt if the above suggestion would help..lol. See below for better suggestion:

Maybe cut the hose and insert screwdriver(s) or other larger diameter object to apply force from within the compression tester's threaded piece.. just be careful not to scratch the top of piston.

Last edited by Jimi Hondrix; 08-17-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
I had this happen before. It's because the threaded end of the hose is crimped onto the hose via a swivel for some ungodly reason. The way I got mine off was by letting the engine cool down (since the test should be done with the engine hot). Once cooled, the fitting finally spun out of the hole. Scared me enough though that I no longer use my compression tester.

I was thinking about buying a 14mm long-reach compression tester adapter, but never wanted to blow the $$. I probably will the next time I absolutely need to do a compression test...

Unfortunately mine didn't come out even after cooling down.

If I'm ever able to get it off I'll post how here for future reference.

Regarding the adapter, yeah, never again now that I understand the risk...
Old 08-18-2015, 05:10 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

Try snipping the hose off and jamming a long skinny flat-head screwdriver down into it. If you can get the driver to bite into the threaded end of the hose from the inside, it might start turning. After that, I would try gently hammering the screwdriver down into it.

Just don't go crazy cause you don't want to make shards or chips of metal that go down into the cylinder. The goal will be to dent the swivel-joint enough to disable it.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably best from the compression tester's threaded-end standpoint to do compression testing when engine is slightly warm and not at operating temp. Also, maybe lightly coating the threads of tester with oil first would help prevent this kind of issue?

Last edited by Jimi Hondrix; 08-18-2015 at 09:28 AM.