Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

compression tester adapter stuck in head, how to get out

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compression tester adapter stuck in head, how to get out

just like the topic says, i was checking compression. the compression tester had the deep reach adapter on it. anyways, when i was removing the compression tester, i noticed that the adapter was still in the cylinder head. i tried many times, but i still cant get it out. any ideas on what to do? please help, thanks.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compression tester adapter stuck in head, how to get out (cornhusker)

You might be able to try some locktite on the threads of the compression tester, screw it back into the adapter, let it dry and see if it will back out?
Old 09-19-2003, 09:49 PM

Default Re: compression tester adapter stuck in head, how to get out (5thgencivic)

thanks for the advice, definitely gonna try that in the morning
Old 09-19-2003, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I left my tester pressurized once while I was doing a comp test and some other stuff. My tester has a rubber hose crimped onto the threaded thing that goes into the sparkplug holes. Anyway, when I left it pressurized, about 5 mins later I heard a "PHSHEWWWW" and saw my tester go flying across the garage. The hose had come apart at the crimp, leaving the threaded piece stuck in my head. I was about to bite the bullet and pull the head, when I saw a philips head screwdriver I had that looked like it was about the same size as the hole in the end of the threaded piece. So, I lined up the screwdriver, gave it a couple whacks with my hammer and got it into the threaded piece a good ways. Then I took a crescent wrench and turned the screwdriver(the handle was hex-shaped) and the threaded piece came right out. Saved me a couple hrs of work that would've been spent pulling the head.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:43 AM

Default Re: compression tester adapter stuck in head, how to get out (5thgencivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgencivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might be able to try some locktite on the threads of the compression tester, screw it back into the adapter, let it dry and see if it will back out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

your loctite idea worked great, thanks.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:36 AM

Default Re: (inspyral)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inspyral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was about to bite the bullet and pull the head, when I saw a philips head screwdriver I had that looked like it was about the same size as the hole in the end of the threaded piece. So, I lined up the screwdriver, gave it a couple whacks with my hammer and got it into the threaded piece a good ways. Then I took a crescent wrench and turned the screwdriver(the handle was hex-shaped) and the threaded piece came right out. Saved me a couple hrs of work that would've been spent pulling the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just ran into this, except the problem was that the compression tester had a swivel on the deep end, and it threaded in, but when I went to thread it out, it would just swivel. I cut the hose and hammered in a flathead.

There wouldn't realy be anything to grab the fitting by if you pulled the head, still....

-PHiZ
Old 05-21-2004, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compression tester adapter stuck in head, how to get out (cornhusker)

i just put a plug into it let the car warm up and then remove the pulg with it attached. if the plug comes off the just used a flat head screw driver jam it in the hole a lil and turn it counterclockwise to take it out that it.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:48 AM

Default Re: compression tester adapter stuck in head, how to get out (tvrsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tvrsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just put a plug into it let the car warm up and then remove the pulg with it attached. if the plug comes off the just used a flat head screw driver jam it in the hole a lil and turn it counterclockwise to take it out that it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't understand what you mean (spark plug?)

But it doesn't do you any good if the compression test is a diagnostic for why the motor isn't starting....

-PHiZ
Old 05-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compression tester adapter stuck in head, how to get out (PHiZ)

the spark plug fit into that adaptor perfectly. . also if this car isn't able to run at all then it might not work. because if you let it warm up it loosen it a lil becaus