Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stubborn Crank Pulley Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stubborn Crank Pulley Bolt

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of changing my water pump/timing belt on my 93 Civic. But I can't get the crank pulley bolt off.

I have air and an ingersoll rand impact gun that's supposed to make 780 ft lbs that isn't touching it. I've taken the starter off and tried jamming a big screwdriver or a pry bar in the flywheel and using my 24" breaker bar with no success.

I'm not crazy about the idea of heating that bolt up either...I've heard of guys lodging the breaker bar in there and cranking the engine to get it loose, but I think the engine turns the wrong way for that, and I'm not a fan of that method anyhow. My head is off at the moment so I couldn't try it if it did come to that.

My only thought now is dropping the trans and taking the flywheel off and using the flywheel bolts with a screwdriver to hold it steady...

Any ideas how to get that thing off?

Thanks a lot,
Phil
Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stubborn Crank Pulley Bolt

use the gun and go back and forth with it. loosen, tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen, it should eventually break free. you could also use the crank pulley holder in there and use another breaker bar with a pipe on it to try to loosen it. PB Blaster is nice to have aswell i guess.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just did this yesterday afternoon on my B18C. It took jamming a prybar in the flywheel, having a buddy put all of his weight on it, a 4 foot cheater bar on a 24" breaker bar, and a whole lot of ***.

You could also wait until tomorrow morning and go pick up one of the crank pulley holders from your dealer. I know it's a long shot, but see if they'll let you borrow it. The local Honda dealer here let me borrow one of their seal drivers for a few bucks. It depends on how cool the mechanics are I suppose.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by f22a
I just did this yesterday afternoon on my B18C. It took jamming a prybar in the flywheel, having a buddy put all of his weight on it, a 4 foot cheater bar on a 24" breaker bar, and a whole lot of ***.

You could also wait until tomorrow morning and go pick up one of the crank pulley holders from your dealer. I know it's a long shot, but see if they'll let you borrow it. The local Honda dealer here let me borrow one of their seal drivers for a few bucks. It depends on how cool the mechanics are I suppose.

That's what he had to do too, jam the flywheel, and use a deep torque socket with a breaker bar and a pipe on the end of it, eventually it popped and was cake from there.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

yea bro go to the dellar and get the tool its alot easier bro
Old 01-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Anon51
use the gun and go back and forth with it. loosen, tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen, it should eventually break
fixed for fail

Originally Posted by Sol_Out
That's what he had to do too, jam the flywheel, and use a deep torque socket with a breaker bar and a pipe on the end of it, eventually it popped and was cake from there.
this is the way to do it in the driveway.

otherwise use a REAL impact gun. something more on the hot side of 1000ft/lbs. should pop it almost instantly. still lock the motor.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a piece of angle iron bolted to the crank pulley and sitting on the ground. The angle iron wedges up against a small diameter deep socket I found that fits perfectly in one of the pulley holes. I recommend the socket or you'll screw up your belt. Angle iron has to be square snugged up against the pulley though or it will just distort and bend. I sprayed with WD-40 and let sit, put the jack/wood under the breaker bar for square leverage/torque. One good grunt/shove on the breaker and "ping!" it broke loose.