Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stolen 93 HB... Trying to get her running again!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen 93 HB... Trying to get her running again!

I'm new to this specific forum so please don't flame me for this question. Trying to use search on this topic is making me go crazy.

I have 93 HB that was stolen just the other week for her second time. The first time this happened I was somewhat lucky (she was drivable) but round two has me rather pi$$ed off. In 99', the first time she was stolen, I recovered her in less than 24 hours but I still lost quite a bit of stuff (corners, deck, speakers, amp, dash mat that original owner put in, radar detector). To top it off the thieves left my windows down in a rainstorm. What a mess. So, the other week when she was stolen her second time I was very worried. All I could think of was getting a call from the impound lot saying they found the car but the motor is gone. Looking at her now, I didn't lose too much. All I lost was a box of 3 subs, an amp, the key ignition system and my ECU.

Here's my question. Back in December of 2002 my friend and I dropped in her third motor. The B18C1, tranny etc. etc. etc. When we were finally ready to fire it up but she didn't want to budge. Everything appeared to be ok but we couldn't find out what the problem was. So just for grins we tried my old D16Z6 ECU. We plugged it and she turned over and started right up. We drove it around in the back of his shop and everything was running ok. After that we tried the GSR ECU again. I’m not sure why but it started right up and we're happy (didn’t plug it in all of the way??). Ever since that day I have had my old D16Z6 ECU floating around the garage.

So, the second night I went to the impound to get the car I brought the D16Z6 ECU with me. I plugged it in, she made all of the sounds she normally does right before I start her but nothing would happen. She would turn over but not start. Do these computers ever go bad? I always took good care of it and I know it worked at one point (GSR motor and Si motor). The car has fuel, the ignition system is working, all wires under the hood have been reconnected properly, the fuses are all there and operational. What else might the problem be? What should I try next?

Also, I'm not a real mechanic but my friend is. He's off on an 18 month tour in Iraq. Is installing a new key ignition system documented anywhere on here and is it even something that I could do with my limited experience? I do have the tools. Is it better if I just take it to some Honda mechanic and have them fix it or should I be able to do it? If it's possible for an inexperienced mechanic like myself, what do I need to buy and is there anything that I may have overlooked that should be replaced as well? If it's easy to do and you think someone with my experience could do it, what would I ask for when getting the parts I need. I don't want to give the person who is selling me this stuff the idea that I'm clueless and an easy target to rip off.

Thanks for reading and helping me out. I really do appreciate it!

-Shawn
Old 12-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stolen 93 HB... Trying to get her running again! (shawnpm)

Bump for a desperate man...
Old 12-07-2005, 04:59 PM

another bump