Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stock airbox with ram air works?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: kapalua,los angeles,las vegas, HI,CA,NV, United States
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock airbox with ram air works?

i replaced my intake back to my airbox and had a little question in my mind...should i keep the airbox with ram air, or short ram with ram air??what do u guys think? anyways, i've had the short ram with the ram air for awhile. but to be honest, it wasnt really a full ram air kit..it was home made with a dryer hose connected to my front bumper. and on the other end of the hose, i just pointed the other end right in front of the filter.it really kept my engine bay cool and had no problems with it..i got bored yesterday and put the stock airbox back and it connected the ram air..when i rev, my cousin told me that he can feel the air get sucked in from the bumper... <U>in your oppinion</U> or from what you know, will the airbox set up do better since the air is straight from the bumber?
BTW(with the airbox and ram air, i can barely( sp? ) hear vtec)
Old 09-18-2002, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock airbox with ram air works? (PEN15teamJDM)

The air box with the ram-air setup will bring up your low end, there is no gain power-wise just more tourqe. The open element filter will improve top end power.

HTH.
BTW are you friends with Orville?
Old 09-18-2002, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock airbox with ram air works? (Mr. Shin)

TY for the info...
BTW..are u serious about that question??cuz i met someone named orville..otherwise, ive heard a joke that goes with that name
Old 09-18-2002, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TY for the info...

BTW..are u serious about that question??cuz i met someone named orville..otherwise, ive heard a joke that goes with that name
Haha nah.. I saw the Pen15 thing, and I remember a dude we know named Orville slaped that sticker on my friend's car. He used to have a old school RX-7 now I think he has a Mustang LX or somehting dunno. real cool guy.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i see what u mean by not having much gain. but i do feel like my car pulls better in low end(i can feel if the car pulls cuz my car is slow )but no top end power and i cant hear vtec ..i think ill swap the intake again..has anyone else done this?????
Old 09-18-2002, 03:30 AM
VTEC

Dryer hose does not count as real "ram" air. Short rams are not "ram" air systems either.

Ram air is a complex process with a small window of efficiency at a certain speed. Formula 1 and IRL Indycars are race cars that take advantage of "ram" air.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock airbox with ram air works? (VTEC)

Dryer hose does not count as real "ram" air. Short rams are not "ram" air systems eiter
thats why i said it was "homemade"..i knew someone would say something like this..i was asking for answers, not the differences between "real" and "homemade"
Old 09-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imo i think it works. ram air or no ram air. i think its creative that he actually thought of that. i mean why put down somones idea; its not your car so you shouldnt worry about it. at least he took out the time and put some thought and effort into it. by the way pen15teamjdm has a nice a$% car.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock airbox with ram air works? (sohc93hatch)

i have found that a stock airbox with k&n drop in filter and no resonator box (sounds like you took that out) works about as well as a 'short-ram' intake. i doubt you'd see/feel a noticeable difference between the two. i have an iceman, and the difference between the two is not really noticeable, except for the lack of noise with the stock airbox. the stock tube may be a little smaller in diameter than the iceman tube at the same place, and the cone filter on the iceman may have more surface area than the drop in filter. i think the resonator box behind the bumper is the most restrictive part, so with that removed it can't get too much better. i made the hole at the bottom of the stock air box (where the resonator tube went in) a little larger so it could suck more air. i think you'd have to dyno the two to know for sure, but if the difference was more than 2 whp i'd be surprised.

the iceman with cold air extension is better than both, however. dont have to sweat the hydrolock thing here in socal.

stick with the dryer tube thing in place of your resonator box - can't hurt. just don't let me see it or i'll laugh at you.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock airbox with ram air works? (ruthless013)

stick with the dryer tube thing in place of your resonator box - can't hurt. just don't let me see it or i'll laugh at you.
...i put my short ram back..and pointed the hose to the filter...now i can hear vtec again...thanx for the input!..BTW, the dryer hose from the front bumper looks dope on my car....imo..thanx for the input bro
Old 09-19-2002, 06:13 PM

That whole rubber hose thing ******* up air flow gets me with the stock airboxes... I've never seen ramair on a civic or any honda other than an S2000.. Anyone get's it to work, let me know. OH!! I've seen an intercooler with no turbo.. Does that count as ram air? j/k
Old 09-19-2002, 11:18 PM
VTEC

Default Re: Stock airbox with ram air works? (Hadji)

I'm not putting him down...just clearing up the terms to prevent future confusion. So I'll get to the gist of his post...by looking at the dryer hose, I don't think a dryer hose will give an ideal airflow as the accordion can cause turbulence. Different speeds may give different airflow rates, and as such, will be hard to determine its effectiveness.

Now, since it's been said the engine bay is cool (something I can't verify), than we can assume that there is some benefit. By providing somewhat cooler air (temperature difference between ambient, and the air in the engine bay of a moving car aren't significant enough) then it can provide a smidge of improvement. However, the air will not be "rammed." Rather, the high volume of air being inducted may actually bring more air through the dryer hose, therefore providing somewhat cooler air.

Simply put, it's probably better than nothing. Dyno testing in various configurations (hood up/down, fan blowing at/away from dryer hose) may bring insight, but the cost would be too high to determine a dryer hose's effectiveness.

Happy?
Old 09-20-2002, 02:00 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ram Air is a myth, so do not believe anything you hear regarding such claims. For those that care...

The Ram Air Myth by Dave Rodabaugh

The Ram Air Myth is the most mythical of them all. It differs from the other myths, in that the other myths are misinterpretations of physical phenomena, whereas ram air simply does not exist.

MYTH: Use of a scoop on the front of the vehicle to collect intake air, or provide “ram air” can raise engine performance.

TRUTH: At automobile velocities, there is no ram air effect.

SIMPLE EXPLANATION

The "Truth" statement says it all. How much simpler can it be? The Ram Air effect is a total myth because it simply does not exist. “But Pontiac uses it on the Trans Am, and they know more than you do.” To those who offer this, tsk tsk. Careful reading of Pontiac’s statements on the matter reveal that the HP increase of the WS6 package are a result of a less restrictive intake, and a freer-flowing exhaust, NOT any ram air effect.

So why does Pontiac use Ram Air? Easy! To make people buy their cars! And they are quite effective with this strategy.

DEEPER EXPLANATION

Of all of the applied sciences, fluid mechanics is among the most difficult for many people to comprehend. It is a relatively youthful applied science as well, meaning that it has not had two or three centuries of work to mature into an applied science on par, with say, chemical combustion. To make matters worse, it is mathematically defined almost entirely by experimentally-determined mathematics.

This last point is the true differentiator between those who only understand concepts, and those who can quantify what they are discussing. Truly, quantification is the real skill of the engineer. It is one thing to speak about qualitative issues (the “what” of the physical sciences); it is entirely another to quantify them (the “how much” and “to what extent” of the same). In grade school, students are first taught about “closed form mathematics” and then that these mathematics are typical of scientific expression. A good example of this is Newton’s famed “law of action and reaction”, the mathematical expression of which is a succinct F=MA. So straightforward. So simple. Three variables in perfectly-defined harmony. Given any two of them, the third is easy to nail down.

Unfortunately, a vast, vast majority of the mathematics used in engineering are NOT closed form. Instead, they are multi-variable correlations valid only for a narrow set of circumstances. Deviate from those narrow circumstances, and a new expression must be experimentally derived. Fluid mechanics is almost entirely defined by these experimentally-determined expressions, further muddying an applied science not well understood.

And if there ever were an applied science for which common sense is wholly inappropriate, it is fluid mechanics. Virtually nothing obeys the “common sense” rules of observation, explaining why those who believe in ram air have extreme difficulty in believing that is simply does not exist.

The Deeper Explanation begins with a basic explanation of engine principles. Air and fuel must be combusted at a specific ratio, namely, 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel (this is a chemical ratio). Stuffing more fuel into the cylinders without increasing the amount of air they also swallow will get no gain whatsoever. So the hot rodder’s adage “more air = more power” is proven correct. Figure out a way to stuff more air into the cylinder at any given RPM and throttle setting, and you can burn more fuel. Since burning fuel is what makes power, more air truly does create more power.

The amount of air which is inducted into a cylinder is a function of the air’s density. As the air flows through the intake tract, it loses pressure, and as the pressure decreases, so does the air’s density. (Denisty is mass divided by volume. Since cylinders are a fixed volume, increasing the density will also increase the mass of the air in the cylinder.) There are two ways to increase the pressure and density of the air inducted into the cylinders:

- Decrease the pressure drop from the throttle plate to the cylinders

- Increase the starting pressure at the throttle plate.

Ram air is an attempt to do the second. Under normal circumstances, the air at the throttle plate is at atmospheric pressure, and this pressure drops until the air reaches the cylinders. Ram air would start the process at some pressure higher than atmospheric, and even though the drop is the same, the cylinder pressure is higher because of the increase at the start.

Just how would this increase in pressure at the throttle plate occur? The oft-wrong “common sense” says, “If a scoop is placed in the airstream flowing around the vehicle, the velocity of the air ‘rams’ the air into the scoop, thus increasing the pressure.”

Why is this incorrect? There are two types of pressure: static and dynamic. Placing of one’s hand in front of a fan, or out of a moving car’s window, clearly exerts a force on the hand as the air diverts its path to flow around it. Most people would say “See? This is a clear indication that ram air works. Clearly there is pressure from the velocity of the air.” Well, this is correct, but only to a point. This is an example of dynamic pressure, or the force any moving fluid exerts upon obstacles in its path as the gas is diverted around the obstacle.

What an engine needs is static pressure. This is the pressure the same fluid exerts on any vessel containing it at rest. For those who were physics/chemistry geeks, it is the pressure caused by the force of the molecules bouncing off of the walls of the container. The key to understanding the difference between static and dynamic pressure lies in the velocity of the gas. Dynamic pressure is only a momentum effect due to the bulk motion of the fluid around an obstacle. Static pressure is an intrinsic property of a gas or fluid just because the molecules of the fluid are moving around. Any fluid which is moving can have BOTH dynamic and static pressure, but a fluid at rest only has static pressure.

The point of ram air would be to increase the static pressure, which would correspond to an increase in the in-cylinder air density, and of course, more air. Superchargers and turbochargers do what the mythical ram air purports to do. A supercharger trades the power of the belt and uses it to compress the air in the intake tract. This energy trade-off results in an increase in intake air pressure, more air in the cylinders, more fuel burned, and more power. A turbocharger trades the power of the hot gases and uses it to compress the air in the intake. The overall effect is the same – an increase in intake static pressure.

For ram air to work, it would have to trade the energy of the air’s velocity (as the vehicle moves through the air) for an increase in static pressure (since static pressure is a part of a gas’s internal energy, we see this is TRULY a trade in kinetic energy for an increase in internal energy). Now for the true reasons why ram air is a myth:

- The way for air velocity to be traded for an increase in static pressure is to actually SLOW IT DOWN in a nozzle of some sort. This is easily the MOST counterintuitive part of fluid mechanics for most people. The “common sense” mind says “In order to increase the pressure of the intake, the velocity of the air needs to be increased, just as increasing the speed of a fan exerts more force upon the hand.” Not only does this confuse dynamic with static pressure, but is also misses the point, which is to trade the kinetic energy of the gas for an increase in internal energy. How can this trade occur if the kinetic energy of the gas is increased? It cannot, and in fact, the only way to trade it is to use the velocity of the gas to compress itself – by slowing it down.

- Below about Mach 0.5 (or about half the speed of sound), air is considered “incompressible”. That is, even if the correct nozzle is selected, and the air is slowed down (the official term is “stagnated”) there will be zero trade. No kinetic energy will be traded in as work capable of compressing the air. The reasons for this are not discussed here; the reader may consult any reputable fluid mechanics textbook for confirmation of this fact. In plain English, a car is just too slow for ram air to work.

Still not enough evidence? Here is a little test. For ram air to work, the nozzle must be of a specific shape. The “Holley Scoop” for the Fiero is the wrong shape, by the way. The fact that it has no net shape at all immediately means it cannot effect any kind of energy trade off, so it cannot possibly create ram air. This is also true for the hood scoops on the Pontiac Firebird WS6 package as well, by the way.

What shape must it be? There are two kinds of nozzles. Pick one:

- Converging. This nozzle gets smaller as the air flows through it. It has a smaller exit than entrance. If the nozzle were a cone, the fat end is where the air would enter, and the narrow end is where it would exit.

- Diverging. This nozzle is opposite the other; it gets bigger as the air flows through it. With a larger exit than entrance, the narrow end of the cone is where the air would enter, and the fat end is where it would exit.

So, which is it?

Without hesitation, most of the “common sense” crowd will answer “Converging.” BZZZZT! Thank you for playing anyway! We have some lovely parting gifts for you! Bill, tell ‘em what they’ve won….

The answer is “divergent”. Yes, the nozzle would have to shaped so that the skinny end is pointed into the air stream, and the fat end connects to the throttle plate. How can this be right? Remember, to increase the static pressure of the intake air (which is the true “ram air” effect), the kinetic energy of the air must be traded to compress the air. This is done by slowing the air down, or stagnating it, and the only way to do this is with a diverging nozzle. Ah, but since air is incompressible at automobile speeds, it doesn’t matter any way.

Conclusion

Ram air is a myth because it does not exist, for the following reasons:

- Air is incompressible at any automobile speed., meaning that the kinetic energy of the air cannot be used to compress the air and raise the static pressure.

- The “ram air” nozzles commonly employed on automobiles tend to be the wrong shape. A divergent nozzle is required for ram air. Straight-profile scoops cannot provide a ram air effect.

Select one of the two types of intakes, warm air, or cold air. Beyond that its just about looks.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock airbox with ram air works? (VTEC)

Happy?
happy! ...thanx for the input again guys...research on some site show that it may not be a "ram air" effect, but also acts as a CAI..the hose NOW helps my engine somewhat cool down...when im on the freeway(well, atleast that's what i believe)..otherwise,ill just stick with my intake for now.