Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cold Air Intake vs. Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake vs. Short Ram Intake

What is the difference between Cold Air Intake vs. Short Ram Intake, and witch is better?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:41 PM

cold air>hot ram
Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cold Air Intake vs. Short Ram Intake (shutuprichard551)

i think cold air kicks in high rpm soo is better for longer races according to car and short ram kicks in low rpm could be wrong not sure......and if u get a cold air u may have to worry about watter getting into engine
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default FV-QR

I say stock is better.

Cold air runs the risk of sucking water up (as rare as it might be).

Short ram kills your bottom end. I got rid of that one so quickly.

If you want the sound and have an EX, remove your resonator from within the front bumper.

I've had both cold air and short ram and wasn't a huge fan of either. I went to the short ram after the car and cold air intake were stolen and I couldn't find a stock air box quickly.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say stock is better.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree; running stock and K&N after a few years with the cold air.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cold air runs the risk of sucking water up (as rare as it might be).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'd have to submerge the whole thing or run the car without the fender liners and drive water into the filter to do that (I'm sure you know, but throwing out some n00b info). But yeah the risk is there, and it's a pain to access when it needs cleaning.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Short ram kills your bottom end. I got rid of that one so quickly.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not there's much of that there; and there's the problem of sucking up hot air from the engine bay (if you don't run duckting).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want the sound and have an EX, remove your resonator from within the front bumper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

VTEC does sound good with the cold air; but I would do this if I were to do it again.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 PM
H-T White Ops

Default FV-QR

I actually haven't found a resonator locally yet. Sucks because I have a full airbox back east... but my step-dad convinced my mom it wasn't worth $32 to send it to me here. Best part is when I asked for her to send it back (I'd be paying of course), I needed it because I had no sort of filter at the time.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 PM

Well I was asking because im looking at buying a car that has a Short Ram Intake on it and was wondering if that would be a problem or a easy fix.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cold Air Intake vs. Short Ram Intake (bijou)

this thread is just so wrong.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shutuprichard551 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the difference between Cold Air Intake vs. Short Ram Intake, and witch is better?</TD></TR></TABLE>

cold air will snake all the way down into the front bumper areaish. short ram will stop where the factory air box is.

and neither is better. the gains from either are marginal at best.
shorter will make more noise, but if your worried about noise GTFO.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shutuprichard551 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I was asking because im looking at buying a car that has a Short Ram Intake on it and was wondering if that would be a problem or a easy fix.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's not a huge problem, but like I said, can cause noticeable bottom end power loss.

All it takes to fix is get a stock air box if you want. It's not complicated at all. You unbolt the intake, remove the clamp, and pull the intake off. Installation is the reverse.

I wouldn't not buy a car just because it has an intake on it though. That would be ridiculous.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Cold Air Intake vs. Short Ram Intake (NOFX)

both have disadvantages, like cold air you can get water up in there
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, now i remember why im never on Honda Tech forums..

if you already have a short ram on the car that you are looking at buying, that is not a problem. get a quality name brand filter (K&N or AEM) and you are good to go.

other wise, a stock airbox with a K&N filter and removed resonator (optional: for the "sound" of an intake) works just fine.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wite2nr)

its not really ''quality'' a pipe is a pipe, and just buy a filter, AEM stuff is just ''carb legal'' and all that other nonsense
Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coupej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cold air&gt;hot ram </TD></TR></TABLE>
Until you hydrolock.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Cold Air Intake vs. Short Ram Intake (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I wouldn't not buy a car just because it has an intake on it though. That would be ridiculous.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not, I was looking for a stock car but found this one and im thinking about buying it because its only $2,199

1997 Honda Civic EX 1.6l V-Tec $2,199 OBO
Gray/Silver w/ black hood. 5-Speed 137K
Fog lights, cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, short shifter, no rust, power windows and locks, tinted windows GREAT gas mileage!!!
Please e-mail or call with any questions.
First reasonable cash offer takes it home! I have two cars and I am just sitting on the money if I don't sell quickly. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get the K&N FIPK, it has a heat shield that comes with it.