Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SRS Light, what is "normal"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Light, what is "normal"?

I just bought a 1995 Honda Civic Del Sol and had a bad cable spool under the steering wheel, everything electrical on the steering wheel was dead. No horn, cruise control never activated, and the SRS light on the dash never came on. I got a clcok spring on ebay for a good price and installed it the other night. Everything works now, horn works, cruise control works, but my SRS light still never comes on.

I wanted to see what was "bad" about my old clock spring so I took it apart and found a very long, thin, white ribbon of conductors, all wound around a spool. The inner end of the white flat cable connects to the hub of the spool and then to the main wiring harness plug under the steering column. The outer end of this long, white ribbon connects to the outer spool top, ending in the cruise control plug, air bag plug, and one more wire that clips to ground from the cruise control plug. I tried to "center" my old clock spring and it would never stop turning, it just went around and around so I was not surprised to see that the inner connector had broken off from the center hub of the spool, rendering the clock spring useless.

I did turn on the key before everything was in place, e.g.: air bag not installed to test the horn and might this have upset the SRS device? I did find the article on "***Resetting SRS Light**", found here:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=264288

But without the pictures, how does one know what wires to jump out anymore? When I turn on my key, I get all kinds of red and amber lights on the dash until the engine starts running, then they all go out. The SRS light never comes on and I am not sure that the issue is fixedl What should the red SRS light do in a Honda Civic Del Sol and is there any way to fix or reset mine that I can do myself? (Way too poor to take the car to the dealer.)

Thank you all,
Ohmster
Old 06-07-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: SRS Light, what is "normal"? (Ohmster)

did you check your gauge cluster to see if the bulb had been removed?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Light, what is "normal"? (ridin98civic)

yea, what he said^^

also, does the SRS light ever turn on when the key is on the ON position? and the plug you are looking for isn't that hard to find...just a yellow clip with two grey wires plugged into a dummy plug...i just did my SRS light reset yesterday...the plug is plugged into a dummy plug on the interior fuse box...you will not miss it if you look under...gl