sparg plug info?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spark plug info?

Ok so i've been trying to get ahold of the
"high heat or continuous high speed driving" plugs, as opposed to the normal ones.

want to try out denso's instead of ngk too

so anyways, autozone had some that seems almost right, so I got em.
i'm just wondering if they're the right ones.

the manual lists the plug I want as being
KJ20CR-L11
and the plug I got is
KJ20CR11

are they the same thing???
whats the L mean?
thanks!

Modified by Tad at 9:34 PM 7/18/2004

Modified by Tad at 10:33 PM 7/19/2004
Old 07-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

^
Old 07-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cgheck out the next issue of OverRev Magazine, there is a whole guide in there on how to figure out which plugs to use
Old 07-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2FastxEg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2FastxEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cgheck out the next issue of OverRev Magazine, there is a whole guide in there on how to figure out which plugs to use</TD></TR></TABLE>

thnx, but i'd like to know now so I can put in the plugs.

just need to know if the
KJ20CR-L11
are the same as
KJ20CR11
Old 07-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

Old 07-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sparg plug info? (Tad)

^^^
Old 07-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Electrician

IMO, it's pretty ******* common sense. A company is not going to have different part #s for the same part. Since those 2 part #s don't match, I say no, they are not the same.

BTW, why do you need a "high speed high driving" spark plug. Are you at a road racing event everyday? Do you do any for of autocrossing every weekend? Or is this for "I'm going to redline to merge onto the exressway and I need something to handle my heavy foot" kind of scenario?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO, it's pretty ******* common sense. A company is not going to have different part #s for the same part. Since those 2 part #s don't match, I say no, they are not the same.

BTW, why do you need a "high speed high driving" spark plug. Are you at a road racing event everyday? Do you do any for of autocrossing every weekend? Or is this for "I'm going to redline to merge onto the exressway and I need something to handle my heavy foot" kind of scenario?</TD></TR></TABLE>

more of the handle my heavy foot sort of thing,
most of all just a peace of mind sort of thing really.

I bet I could take the normal plugs to an autox event and see no difference.
yet I still want these.

part #'s might not be the same..
but the plugs might be EQUIVALENT..
Old 07-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

more of the handle my heavy foot sort of thing,
most of all just a peace of mind sort of thing really.

I bet I could take the normal plugs to an autox event and see no difference.
yet I still want these.

part #'s might not be the same..
but the plugs might be EQUIVALENT.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If these are the denso plugs, I had the same situation at my last maintenance. Although my numbers were off by a few more letters/ numbers at the end. They were the exact same size and dimensions, and I called the store to check, and they were listed as being correct. I used them, and have had no problem. It could be they just changed part numbers, or used the L to differentiate the 'temp' of the plug.

I wish I could give a more definite answer than that. But as far as auto-x goes, I use the off the shelf denso or NGK for 1.25 or whatever it is (and I drive very hard) and have never had a problem. If you're not running higer compression or FI, you could probably save yourself the trouble of finding special plugs. Have you ever had deposits or abnormal plug wear or detonation that made you decide to change plug temps? I'm thinking it might be totally unecessary.

Old 07-19-2004, 01:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so i've been trying to get ahold of the
"high heat or continuous high speed driving" plugs, as opposed to the normal ones.

want to try out denso's instead of ngk too

Modified by Tad at 9:34 PM 7/18/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude don't you mean you want COLD PLUGS? At high speed and high rpms that's what cold plugs are made for. Try NGK cold plugs or Zex. If not go with the Denso Iridium or NGK Iridium plugs.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sparg plug info? (EKCivicR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKCivicR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If not go with the Denso Iridium or NGK Iridium plugs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, for $12 a peice! Pssh, whatever

Old 07-19-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: sparg plug info? (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, for $12 a peice! Pssh, whatever </TD></TR></TABLE>

If your too cheap to recognize that performance cost $$$ then you shouldn't be talking about buying more expensive upgrades at all. Otherwise like I said try the NGK R's for the budget.

Anyhow NGK Iridium's can be bought for about $5, a set at about $20- $25. Denso Iridium you can get for $40 - $45 a set. Do a little shopping around. But if you pick them up locally expect to pay full price.

In the end it all comes down to how much you want to spend on your motor and how you drive it....
Old 07-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If these are the denso plugs, I had the same situation at my last maintenance. Although my numbers were off by a few more letters/ numbers at the end. They were the exact same size and dimensions, and I called the store to check, and they were listed as being correct. I used them, and have had no problem. It could be they just changed part numbers, or used the L to differentiate the 'temp' of the plug.

I wish I could give a more definite answer than that. But as far as auto-x goes, I use the off the shelf denso or NGK for 1.25 or whatever it is (and I drive very hard) and have never had a problem. If you're not running higer compression or FI, you could probably save yourself the trouble of finding special plugs. Have you ever had deposits or abnormal plug wear or detonation that made you decide to change plug temps? I'm thinking it might be totally unecessary.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, for a minute I was having doubts,
but you know, I DO find myself in the high rpms very often(practically daily).
and although my motor is verymuch stock interally now, I like the peace of mind knowing I have a colder plug, JUST INCASE.

I mean over the longrun it can only help right?

i'm going to go find denso's website, they probably have a description of what their sparkplug #'s mean on there somewhere. I saw an NGK chart describing theirs in a search here on HT, so hopefully denso'll have something similar.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sparg plug info? (EKCivicR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKCivicR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Anyhow NGK Iridium's can be bought for about $5, a set at about $20- $25. Denso Iridium you can get for $40 - $45 a set. Do a little shopping around. But if you pick them up locally expect to pay full price.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was mostly being sarcastic, but I didn't know that the NGKs could be found for that price, any sources? If my motor had anything done to it, I would definitely spring for the iridiums, but for a stock motor, I just can't justify the expense. There's a huge difference between $5 and $45 when paying for student loans.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah, for a minute I was having doubts,
but you know, I DO find myself in the high rpms very often(practically daily).
and although my motor is verymuch stock interally now, I like the peace of mind knowing I have a colder plug, JUST INCASE.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear you there, but I drive my car like I stole it sometimes, and always have a nice clean burn and golden color on my plugs when I change them. On some auto x courses, I'll be on or near the rev limiter for 30-40 seconds. Plus, auto manufacturers really beat the hell out of an engine when testing (I've seen it done many times) and I'd doubt that anyone could do as many hard miles as a test mule; so if it needed colder plugs because of hard duty, it would be specified by Honda. Just something to think about.

Old 07-20-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: spark plug info? (Tad)

Hmmn no info huh

try

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/p...e.htm

L is extra tip projection, usually on honda economy engines like VTEC-E

whats the standard plug code for your motor and what motor, you probably want to go one heatrange colder if you want to be able to run more advance (assume thats what you mean by hotter), but match the specs. So unless your standard plug is an extended type you probably want the one without the L that site has most of the links to work it out though

My D15b uses those denso plugs, KJ20CR-L11 (OEM is NGK ZFR6J-11) , but i am currently running IK22's regapped to 1.1mm (22's are 0.8mm OEM ) with no major problems

There is a bunch more info i got from a denso tech guy here if you searched

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=662645

I am probably going to try the reccomended iridiums in that thread next, just wanted to gett he use out of my 22's before i bin em

HTH
Old 07-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I hear you there, but I drive my car like I stole it sometimes, and always have a nice clean burn and golden color on my plugs when I change them. On some auto x courses, I'll be on or near the rev limiter for 30-40 seconds. Plus, auto manufacturers really beat the hell out of an engine when testing (I've seen it done many times) and I'd doubt that anyone could do as many hard miles as a test mule; so if it needed colder plugs because of hard duty, it would be specified by Honda. Just something to think about.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is,
I wouldnt have even thought about this if it didnt specify different plugs for "continuous highspeed driving" in the owners manual.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:04 AM

it is,
I wouldnt have even thought about this if it didnt specify different plugs for "continuous highspeed driving" in the owners manual.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also manufacturers test STANDARD engines, running added advance, increased airflow, creating more power, all change the duty cycle of the engine. And again the manufacturer picks a basic plug becuase it is cheaper, and probably gives good idle characteritsics at -40 and +50°C too. So there is room for improvement, usually dropping a heatrange is ok, especially if you have more then the basic bolt ons.

just make sure you keep the same style of plug, what motor do you have , what mods and whats the reccomended OEM plug, maybe someone can help
Old 07-21-2004, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sparg plug info? (CivicESi)

^^ You're absolutely correct. Since he hadn't mentioned any mods to his car, I was giving all of my information based on that assumption (I thought I mentioned it somewhere as well). If you're engine is modded, you may want to look into your plug options.

it is,

</TD></TR></TABLE>

What car was this for? I hadn't seen this in my manual. I'm assuming they mean something like autobahn type driving, and not just a few redline type runs?
Old 07-21-2004, 05:15 AM

Zex
Old 07-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

What car was this for? I hadn't seen this in my manual. I'm assuming they mean something like autobahn type driving, and not just a few redline type runs? </TD></TR></TABLE>

it says it in every 92-95 civic owners and service manual
Old 07-22-2004, 04:16 AM

So did the info help, going by your other posts, i am guessing this is for a D15B?

Any more q's let me know

eddy
Old 07-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: spark plug info? (CivicESi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicESi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmmn no info huh

try

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/p...e.htm

L is extra tip projection, usually on honda economy engines like VTEC-E

whats the standard plug code for your motor and what motor, you probably want to go one heatrange colder if you want to be able to run more advance (assume thats what you mean by hotter), but match the specs. So unless your standard plug is an extended type you probably want the one without the L that site has most of the links to work it out though

My D15b uses those denso plugs, KJ20CR-L11 (OEM is NGK ZFR6J-11) , but i am currently running IK22's regapped to 1.1mm (22's are 0.8mm OEM ) with no major problems

There is a bunch more info i got from a denso tech guy here if you searched

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=662645

I am probably going to try the reccomended iridiums in that thread next, just wanted to gett he use out of my 22's before i bin em

HTH
</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool thanks,
I didnt even notice this reply till just now.
some real info finally!

so the L is extra tip protection? My engine is a d15b vtec also!
I dont know what extended type means.
So do you think running the non L plugs would be coo?
Old 07-27-2004, 08:16 AM

Default Re: spark plug info? (Tad)

cool thanks,
I didnt even notice this reply till just now.
some real info finally!

so the L is extra tip protection? My engine is a d15b vtec also!
I dont know what extended type means.
So do you think running the non L plugs would be coo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guessed it was the D15B

If your running standard plugs try and get the projected tip, so either the

NGK NGK ZFR6J-11 or
Denso KJ20CR-L11

Projected tip means that the tip insulator (white ceramic bit) is longer than standard, and spark tip is further into the cylinder, i think the honda is a 5mm extension. There is a pic at the bottom of this page

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/p...s.htm

Basically it means the plug heats up faster, so wont foul on short runs and stop start traffic. It does mean there is a risk of it running to hot at high rpms, it should be cooled by the incoming air charge, but if thats hot too (no CAI and high ambients or intake air temp), and your running low octane fuel then you are at a higher risk of det.

Running IK22's or non projected & range plugs reduces the risk of det, but at the expense of startup and low throttle drivability, so it depends what you want

the advice from the denso guy was

However, your Civic is a slightly tuned engine (in a risky way by ignition timing) and therefore it is better to go for a slightly colder heatrange.
Also the tuning type (ignition, compression ratio) will give a greater thermal load on the plug and ground electrode and bring it closer to the knock-limit. Therefore you will need a plug that has a colder heatrange and a shorter ground electrode.

So if youo want a cheap plug, the Z6 plug is an option, BKR6E-N11, otherwise the IK22 or 24 depending on mods. This is only my opinion based on research and some help, but it should be close to what you need. Read the info on how to read plugs etc and try and see, the best plugs for mine are still proving elusive, but they get better each time
Old 07-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i work at autozone all those plugs work and the Denso Iridium is a great plug but expensive! if u in the riverside area i can hook u up *if u knows what i mean*
Old 08-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

just went back to autozone and traded in my kj20cr11's for some kj20cr-L11's.

thought i'd have to special order them at least.
because i've been to a bunch of places and havent been able to find them.

the dude thought he didnt have any, but after some good searchin, they turned up! Yay!