Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

So if the distributor is not my problem what else could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So if the distributor is not my problem what else could it be?

My car recently just died on me, diagnosed it as a fcked distributor because im not getting any sparks. Anyways i went and got one from the junk yard but it didnt work (car didnt start and still no sparks) im hoping the coil is just messed up on the one i got today and the replacement will work tomorrow. But if for some reason it was somthing beyond the distributor what would you guys think it would be? even if i wasnt getting gas i would be gettin a spark, same with my belt right?
Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: So if the distributor is not my problem what else could it be? (the_militant)

anyone
Old 10-06-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: So if the distributor is not my problem what else could it be? (the_militant)

well, the new dizzy didnt do the job :-/

its still gettin now spark and its the third one i tried.
Im guessing starter but im not gonna go out and buy one unless im sure. Any other things you guys reccomend i check? (not too much experience, just learnin)
Old 10-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_militant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, the new dizzy didnt do the job :-/

its still gettin now spark and its the third one i tried.
Im guessing starter but im not gonna go out and buy one unless im sure. Any other things you guys reccomend i check? (not too much experience, just learnin)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your starter has nothing to do with your problem. If it is turning over the engine, that is not your issue.

Your problem is probably a bad coil. That would be my first guess. Either that or a bad ignition module, harness plug, or a bad ECU (least likely). Start there and work your way up.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Re: So if the distributor is not my problem what else could it be? (.Red.EM2)

thanks, if your talkin bout the distributor coil ive tried 3 diffrent distributors and got no spark with any of them, i tested the plugs that go into the distributor and they where gettin power.

when i start it i just get the no gas noise of it trying to turn over and on but it never turns over.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did those distributors come with new coils?

Is your timing on the number?
Getting fuel and spark?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Re: So if the distributor is not my problem what else could it be? (.Red.EM2)

aligned the timeing by the rotor on the distributor if thats what you mean

and all 3 diffrent dizzy's came with the cap,rotors and coils. i didnt just replace certain parts.

and no spark at all and i can hear the fuel pump, but even if i wasnt gettin fuel wouldnt i still get a spark or somthing?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_militant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and no spark at all and i can hear the fuel pump, but even if i wasnt gettin fuel wouldnt i still get a spark or somthing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not always. You can lose both at the same time. Not likely, but still possible.

The only way to really check if feul is getting past the injectors is to put a test light on the harness and check it. It only works though if you know your injectors are good or not.

But if you are getting fuel, we need to find out why you are getting no spark.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_militant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aligned the timeing by the rotor on the distributor if thats what you mean</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I say the timing MAY be off, I am saying that the timing belt may have jumped time. But that is not really a likely solution, since I am assuming you haven't touched that.

Have you checked/replaced the ignitor module as well? That could cause a no spark situation.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you checked your timing belt at all??? i mean, does the motor turn over like normal, or does it seem faster/easier than normal.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:05 PM

Default Re: (schardbody)

actually when i jumped it today (battery died) that **** was on like turbo trying to turn over, and i havent touched the belt at all. Would all this happen while im driving? I was just cruising on nuertal going like 40 and my **** just turned off.

also is the ignition module part of the dizzy?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (the_militant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_militant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually when i jumped it today (battery died) that **** was on like turbo trying to turn over, </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_militant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I was just cruising on nuertal going like 40 and my **** just turned off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds to me like a broke timing belt. That would explain the no spark. If it spns over faster than normal, that is because there is no resistance against the crank while it is spun by the starter.

Pop your valve cover and check it.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Re: (.Red.EM2)

damn, im broke as it is, but ill get a friend over so he can help. how much would it run me if the timing belt is what wrong with it?

ps:how do you quote on this forum? i see no button
Old 10-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_militant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ps:how do you quote on this forum? i see no button</TD></TR></TABLE>

In the place where you post, you will see the previous posts below the field you type in.

Above each post, you will see this image:

Click it to quote.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_militant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn, im broke as it is, but ill get a friend over so he can help. how much would it run me if the timing belt is what wrong with it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

On our cars, it is not that easy. When a timing belt breaks on our motors, there is a possibility of piston to valve interference. Hence the name of an "interferrence engine."

If that has happened, especially since you have tried to start the car, you will need to inspect the valves in the head for bending, breaking and valveseat damage. As well as that, inspect the piston surfaces for damage as well.

Good luck man, it's a job.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:21 PM

Default Re: (.Red.EM2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .Red.EM2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the place where you post, you will see the previous posts below the field you type in.

Above each post, you will see this image:

Click it to quote.

On our cars, it is not that easy. When a timing belt breaks on our motors, there is a possibility of piston to valve interference. Hence the name of an "interferrence engine."

If that has happened, especially since you have tried to start the car, you will need to inspect the valves in the head for bending, breaking and valveseat damage. As well as that, inspect the piston surfaces for damage as well.

Good luck man, it's a job.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well that sucks, makes me feel like giving up on the car thanks for your help tho

gonna go out and with someone else driving and try to foget all this lol. ill get some updates soon
Old 10-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .Red.EM2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good luck man, it's a job.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's got you on the right track!
Pop the timing belt cover off and if there is no belt there then.......
you know what I mean

However, if the belt is still intact (not likely from what you posted) then you have different problems
Old 10-11-2006, 06:40 AM

IM having the same proplem with a 94 civic ex and the timing belt is intact and the dizzy, icm, and the coil are all good. what else could it be?