Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Single-Cam Transmission Choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Single-Cam Transmission Choice

Hello HT members
I have a 97lx with a bone-stock d16y7. Few hundred miles ago it started to make a noise at idle, and after 3k rpms in first sometimes. Minor noises coming at acceleration as well as deceleration on a downshift. I figured the source of noise must be either an ISB, TOB or both. Clutch slips a little as well. For various reasons I can't swap the DOHC in there with everything needed, therefore I decided to replace the transmission, and do a mini-me swap.

Now to the question:
1) What transmission should I go with on my d16 block (hopefully something with a bit better gear ratios) I know multiple options I want to hear opinions?
2) What head should I get with the tranny from question #1?
3) What clutch and other misc items should I get to make all of this more cost-effective.

The goals: Don't want nothing too complicated, nothing crazy... Since I'm not swaping it, I'm not aiming for much power. I just want a reliable single-jingle, with a little better gear ratios than stock, and may be a little more HP (around 130), with vtec head. If you can provide estimate costs for the parts you recommend, build threads etc etc, everything will be appreciated. Would prefer to buy from known sources with necessary parts.

YES, of course it's reflected
Old 11-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Single-Cam Transmission Choice

A D16Y8 or D16Z6 transmission will give you the shortest OEM gearing available and will be a reasonable price.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Which one would you pick. Z6 or Y8 and why? And where would you recommend buy it?
Also what is better, z6 head and tranny, y8 head and tranny, or some other mixture of the two
Old 11-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SIMJ
Which one would you pick. Z6 or Y8 and why? And where would you recommend buy it?
Whichever one is in better shape. The gearing is for all intents and purposes identical between the two. The only real difference is the Y8 has steel shift forks while the Z6 has aluminum. Some guys like the steel forks because they're stronger. Personally I like the aluminum forks because they don't wear nearly as bad as the steel ones and they don't bend, just break. (which doesn't happen often)

Originally Posted by SIMJ
Also what is better, z6 head and tranny, y8 head and tranny, or some other mixture of the two
To make things easy on yourself use a Y8 head. The transmission really doesn't matter though, buy whatever you can find in good shape.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use my 96 EX for commuting, and I have a stock S40 5 speed. It's got the best available gear ratios that will bolt to the back of a D series, but it does end up at a higher RPM in 5th. I think 67 mph is hovering right around 3000 rpm, so keep that in mind. Otherwise, it's fun to drive. My overall mpg is 36, so it's not bad. I toyed with the idea of putting a VX transmission in there to max out mpg, but I'll probably just leave it the way it is. Your LX has the middle of the road gearing, the VX is higher (sluggish) and the EX is lower (more pep)

BTW, do you have a side shot of the car? Are those rims Koenig Rewinds? I like them whatever they are. That's a sharp looking 4 door!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input guys. Now can someone tell me what's the best source to buy these parts. Obviously something local and convinient but my be you know something good online?

And thanks man. These are actually panasports 4x100 with 205/50/15 the way miata owners like It lol
Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say buy it from Craigslist. N just have the seller give you bill of sale that its in good condition in case you sue his ***.
I bought 2 trannys for $100 each n sold a couple on Craig's.
And I had the ex tranny n loved it.