Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE HELP!!! CHICAGO

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE HELP!!! CHICAGO

i have a 2000 em1

i have 2 problems. i've listed the first one in the suspension forum in hope for some widespread response. i'm going to try and explain this the best i can. i have a problem somewhere in the front of my car. 1st off, i get the steering wheel shakes at speeds of 80mph and lower...when i cruise at 90mph or higher the shakes go away. second, i have the pulsing of the brake pedel which makes me think the front rotors are warped (rears where just replaced in october)...ok, but why would i get the steering wheel shakes, also, the front rotors were replaced begining of last summer. i first thought that my wheels needed to be balanced but the tires are brand new also begining of last season. the next part to this equation is what eliminates my 2 previous guesses. when i am rolling at a really low speed, i mean super slow, like 1-2mph....you can pin point a spot that as the wheel rolls, it will give a slight tug on the steering wheel to the left. it will do this for every rotation of the wheel. i belive this is whats giving me the shakes but i don't think it would cause the pulsing brake pedal.

the car drove perfect before the only event that i can link to this problem and that would be this. about 2 months ago i was driving while it was snowing. (i know, not the best idea with falkin azenas) nun the less, i was coming around a slight turn at maybe 20-25 mph, and my front tires lost grip. i slid and my passenger front wheel bounced off the curb. the only noticable damage was some MINOR rash to the wheel. my guess is that this was enough to do some underlaying damage to the suspension or drivetrain but my only guess is to what?!!?.....

my 2nd problem is this damn whistling noise that i get when i drive. it only goes on when the car is moving and in gear. it gets worse if i'm on the gas and inbetween 2500-4000rpm. if i stay in gear and let off the gas it wines down, if i engage the clutch, it completely goes away. this happens at any speed. ????

my main question and reason for posting is where can i take my car to get it checked out. i am by no means made of money and if i can get it done for less than i will. i would like it done right thou. my only guess is to take it to the dealer but i know that will cost an arm and a leg. does anyone know some reasonably priced reputable shops?

also, if anyone knows what the problem might be or what i can do to check certain things out i would love some input.

thanks guys.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE HELP!!! CHICAGO (p0tential)

for the shaking- check your ball joints, axles, cv boots, rack and pinon, maybe even rotate your tires.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the steering wheel shake is almost certainly due to one or more unbalanced wheels. Particularly suspect is the tire that collided with the curb. You may have lost a balance weight or damaged the tire. Ask around your area for good, reputable mechanics and have the balance of the wheels rechecked.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take some under body shots of the front suspension and we'll take a look
Old 02-27-2008, 07:45 PM
x0!
Honda-Tech Member

take off the front wheels and look at them. maybe theres damage you can't see while they are on.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like my car haha, 96 dx hatch.
at 80 the steering wheel shakes but at 90 its good.
sometimes when i brake, the steering wheel shakes. do you guys think mine also needs its tires rotated? im perplexed but i dont do freeway driving often anyways.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 PM
x0!
Honda-Tech Member

also did your check your lugnuts? sounds stupid but maybe when you hit the curb something might of happened and they are loose?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 PM

Default Re: SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE HELP!!! CHICAGO (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take some under body shots of the front suspension and we'll take a look </TD></TR></TABLE>

if your serious...that may be difficult to do...the drive up ramps are too steep for my car to get up on....i may be able to jack it up and put jack stands on each side to make it even...any perticular shots you want me to take? and i'm asuming you want both sides for comparision....
Old 02-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Default Re: (x0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also did your check your lugnuts? sounds stupid but maybe when you hit the curb something might of happened and they are loose?</TD></TR></TABLE>

will do this in the am...

anyone know some shops in the north burb area of the chi?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (p0tential)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p0tential &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

will do this in the am...

anyone know some shops in the north burb area of the chi?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, you can try pretty much any alignment shop. Hopefully they will be able to get your car up on the lift to check it out.

Check your ball joints and tie rods:

Lift the car up. Grab the wheel at 9o clock and 3 o clock. Shake. If the wheel has play in it as you shake it, you have a bad tie rod.

Grab the wheel by 12 and 6 o clock. Shake. If it shakes, you have a ball joint issue. Get under the car and check which one is moving when you shake the wheel. Have a friend shake the wheel while you check.

After that, have a tire shop check your balance. Tell them to make sure there are no shifted belts or anything in the tire. Then just have them do a once-over on your general suspension area.

Buy some tires to drive in the crappy weather with.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:41 AM

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, you can try pretty much any alignment shop. Hopefully they will be able to get your car up on the lift to check it out.

Check your ball joints and tie rods:

Lift the car up. Grab the wheel at 9o clock and 3 o clock. Shake. If the wheel has play in it as you shake it, you have a bad tie rod.

Grab the wheel by 12 and 6 o clock. Shake. If it shakes, you have a ball joint issue. Get under the car and check which one is moving when you shake the wheel. Have a friend shake the wheel while you check.

After that, have a tire shop check your balance. Tell them to make sure there are no shifted belts or anything in the tire. Then just have them do a once-over on your general suspension area.

Buy some tires to drive in the crappy weather with. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i hear you on the tires. i wasn't expecting the snow to be so bad this yr. i have an alternate car to drive when it is snowing, but this yr it hasn't stop so i was caught once or twice in the snow with my car. i'm going to be getting snow tires this summer for next season

as far as the shaking is concerned. should i be shaking in and out (towards the car and away from the car) or should i be going side to side.

and will any allignment shop be able to diagnose the problem if it isn't the tires?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (p0tential)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p0tential &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i hear you on the tires. i wasn't expecting the snow to be so bad this yr. i have an alternate car to drive when it is snowing, but this yr it hasn't stop so i was caught once or twice in the snow with my car. i'm going to be getting snow tires this summer for next season

as far as the shaking is concerned. should i be shaking in and out (towards the car and away from the car) or should i be going side to side.

and will any allignment shop be able to diagnose the problem if it isn't the tires?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shake the wheels back and forth with your hands.