Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

searched but no help. vtech? please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default searched but no help. vtech? please?

Ok everyone says that when it kicks in at 4500rpm its crazy. Am I right?

This is my first vtech civic D16y8 and it is not crazy, can't hear vtech at all. No check lights.
oil pressure ok. cant figure out how to check it electrically, if you can tell me that would be great.
I was told to put an exuast and intake on it, it sounds nice, real deep but no crazy vtech. wth!
can anyone help me?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Default Re: searched but no help. vtech? please? (darkwater_ghost)

if you want vtech.... go to target and buy the phone, i think they only cost 30 bucks.

and just so you know. your not going to feel crazy vtec !!!! from a single cam vtec motor. if you want crazy vtec put an itr motor in it
Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hondas dont have vtech

they do however have vtec and nick is right, you wont really notice a huge diffrence from a single cam
Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: searched but no help. vtec? please? (darkwater_ghost)

Ok everyone says that when it kicks in at 4500rpm its crazy. Am I right?
This is my first vtec civic D16y8 and it is not crazy, can't hear vtec at all. No check lights.
oil pressure ok. cant figure out how to check it electrically, if you can tell me that would be great.
I was told to put an exuast and intake on it, it sounds nice, real deep but no crazy vtec. wth!
can anyone help me?

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkwater_ghost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok everyone says that when it kicks in at 4500rpm its crazy. Am I right?

This is my first vtech civic D16y8 and it is not crazy, can't hear vtech at all. No check lights.
I was told to put an exuast and intake on it, it sounds nice, real deep but no crazy vtech. wth!
can anyone help me?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hope this isn't a joke. Is this a joke? I better not be wasting my time.

Single cam VTEC is not "crazy". On a Y8, you'll definately hear it, though as long as you have an INTAKE.

The D series VTEC only engages the intake rockers. Adding an exhaust will drown it out more.

Vtec needs:

-Coolant temp at operating temperature
-Oil pressure
-VTEC wirng/hardware/software in good working order
-TPS at certain trigger position or higher
-Speed sensor indicating to the ECU above 15mph

If any of those requirements are not met, it will not operate.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:07 PM

your might hear a subtle change in your rev when your vtec crossover point hit but your not going to hear or feel a crazy change.... how many times do we have to say it.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: searched but no help. vtech? please? (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The D series VTEC only engages the intake rockers. Adding an exhaust will drown it out more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

xactly.

D16y8 is 5500 RPM btw.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dame! gotta love the no it all help from a site that is here for that very reason, no wonder I get laughed at for sayin anything about honda tech in public. ask a simple question make a mistake typin and you have to put up with this. ok forget the crazy vtec i cant hear it anyway. mabe Ill go and buy the vtech phone call my self and when I hear it ring I post it on youtube and say I have the bad a#s vtec everyone else has.

To the guys that do help thanks, apreciated very much. evrything tested ok but not sure about the solinoid its self.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:53 AM

im pretty sure you didnt make a typing mistake 3 times....so quit making excuses
Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 AM

Default Re: searched but no help. vtec? please? (.:si:.)

B-Series VTEC ftw!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: searched but no help. vtec? please? (XtremeKillaB)

LOL the reason you didnt find what you searched for
is because theres no H in vtec.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkwater_ghost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dame! gotta love the no it all help from a site that is here for that very reason, no wonder I get laughed at for sayin anything about honda tech in public. ask a simple question make a mistake typin and you have to put up with this. ok forget the crazy vtec i cant hear it anyway. mabe Ill go and buy the vtech phone call my self and when I hear it ring I post it on youtube and say I have the bad a#s vtec everyone else has.

To the guys that do help thanks, apreciated very much. evrything tested ok but not sure about the solinoid its self.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really dont see where anyone "laughed" at you. Everyone gets ragged on when you say vtech and not vtec. I even did, so dont think its just you. Just dont say vtech anymore its that simple And how was no one helping you? They just said that vtec on a sohc is not noticable so its hard to tell if its on or not. If you think they were mean, you really havent seen anything. Alot more ppl could of said ALOT harsher things but they didnt. If you really think these are "mean ppl" then just find a different site.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Single cam VTEC is not a big deal. On an engine like a B16, VTEC allows torque to be made nearly to redline. It's not mad crazy **** your pants insanity at the crossover, it just sounds pretty cool and keeps pulling to redline.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: searched but no help. vtech? please? (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Single cam VTEC is not a big deal. On an engine like a B16, VTEC allows torque to be made nearly to redline. It's not mad crazy **** your pants insanity at the crossover, it just sounds pretty cool and keeps pulling to redline.</TD></TR></TABLE>

B16A?? TORQUE?!! HAAAAA

Seriously, though...

VTEC doesn't really have much to do with the B16A "making torque to redline" (it doesn't, anyway). The B16A2 in the 99-00 Si makes 111lbs at 7000RPM. That's about 1200 shy of redline. This MAY be a side effect of VTEC, but it has much, much more of a direct correlation to the engine design.

Relatively large head ports (lots of flow), 1.6L of displacement, and a 77mm stroke (!!!!!!!!) is the reason why the B16A has no choice but to make only top end power if it's NA.

However, if the B16A did not have VTEC, it would be either a worse dog down low, or it would make no power up top. VTEC allows for the switching of a small cam to a large cam depending on engine speed and other conditions.

Simply put, if VTEC wasn't present, you either have the choice of a big *** cam to make top end, or a small cam to keep driveabilty....not both.

if you had a big *** cam, the engine may make 160-170 hp way up top, but it wouldn't be a street car. Think of a 160hp-170hp 4AGE (corolla motor). It wouldn't be a very good street motor. It would be a TOTAL dog down low. Way worse than a B16A.

If you had a small, driveable cam, the car engine would be as driveable as a B16A is down low...but would make maybe 130hp at peak.

Torque really isn't what keeps pulling up to redline, anyway. Since horsepower is a measure of how fast torque can be applied, at higher engine speeds, the HP is more important. But I'll agree that torque does have some use even way up top. But applying 111lb of torque...even way up top is not really a big deal. Plenty of cars still retain 111lb of torque way up top. They just usually dont retain the HP needed to make the torque translate into forward movement very efficiently at high engine speeds.

I guess that all that doesn't have much to do with the thread, though.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

lololololol at b16 making torque. i think you're into the wrong kind of cars if you want torque.

ps- thanks for sig material
Old 03-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Resident Gearhead

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

B16A?? TORQUE?!! HAAAAA

Seriously, though...</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .Grimace &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lololololol at b16 making torque. i think you're into the wrong kind of cars if you want torque.

ps- thanks for sig material</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't say that the B16A make crazy torque numbers (it doesn't I drive one every day), I was just trying to say that it makes a long torque band and that the VTEC system helps to produce it. What comes with it: horsepower.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Motor Co. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The DOHC/VTEC mechanism with a set of three cam followers and rocker arms on both the intake side and exhaust side. <FONT COLOR="red">[b]A wide torque band is achieved through the speed-sensitive switching of cam hills.[b]</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

http://world.honda.com/history....html

Old 03-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmm, that's weird... my single cams vtec crossover is pretty amazing, wheels cut loose, thrown back in ur seat, instant excitement if u ask me... maybe u guys just arent doin summ right with ur motors... lol....
Old 03-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: searched but no help. vtech? please? (JDM_SOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmmm, that's weird... my single cams vtec crossover is pretty amazing, wheels cut loose, thrown back in ur seat, instant excitement if u ask me... maybe u guys just arent doin summ right with ur motors... lol.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

your tires break loose when your vtec engages?? my stock EX never did that...i know you have a beastly turbo D but..even still the only way i can see you breaking the tires loose is during a high-rev shift. and i know on the d series you can redline first and second gear and it doesnt shift into vtec like the GSR motor does...so if your car is breaking loose from just the vtec cross over you must have some fluke of a car dude.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Resident Gearhead

Default Re: searched but no help. vtech? please? (Probot)

I think he's joking.......or lying
Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think he's joking.......or lying</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol i cant tell..im half asleep
Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: searched but no help. vtech? please? (Probot)

B16A 111ft/lbs vs the D16Z6 106. WOW. The B16As torque peaks over 2000 RPM higher than the D.

And the only way to really get more torque is to turbo it.

People are WAY too preoccupied with VTEC. A VTEC FAQ is LONG overdue. Something to take care of all the "is my vtech broken?" threads.

VTEC has nothing to do with the normal operation of your car. There's really not a lot that can go wrong with it unless you have a poorly done motor swap. Further, Honda made an effort to conceal the VTEC transition. All car manufacturers try to conceal transitions of various functions to make the driving experience as smooth as possible. One example is the shifting of auto transmissions. The ECU actually retards the ignition timing just before the shift in order to make it feel smoother. This is at the expense of power, longevity, and economy. So don't be surprised if you don't even notice VTEC. Besides, what do you expect to happen? You want to be thrown back in your seat with a loud bang and roaring exhaust? It's not nitrous, and you're not James Bond. It's not Men In Black.