Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

s40 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s40 transmission

so i have a question how do i take the bearing off does anyone know how ?? do i have to remove the whole countershaft to take it off ??
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2014, 01:57 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: s40 transmission

If it doesn't just slide off, you need to use a slide hammer/bearing puller, or a press with a fancy attachment. You can rent a bearing puller from your local parts store.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:00 PM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes, I would recommend removing the countershaft from the case.

You'll need to remove the revers gear, shift fork holder, and then the shift forks with the main shaft and counter shaft as an assembly.

Those bearings are pressed on lightly so they'll come off easily. If not, rent a bearing puller tool from a parts store. Replace the bearing in the clutch side case as well. And make sure to stake it into place. There's a great write-up on another honda site that shows exactly what to do.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:03 PM
talks to himself

One reason to pull the shafts is to be able to inspect all the bearings.

N.A.R. has some good pics. Some of mine are here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1426
Old 05-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam

N.A.R. has some good pics. Some of mine are here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1426
the transmission is fine i just dont want to say how i cracked the bearing but the rest of the thing is fine i just need to replace this bearing thats all and thanks for the pics
Old 05-21-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CX-Adam

Thank you! If by "good", you mean "gnarly destruction", then yep, I have those

Input shaft bearings and I aren't friends. One came out in three different pieces, the other one...well, the outer race came out. The ball bearings were mostly disintegrated, and the ones left were welded together...and the inner race, well I just left it in the casing when I sold it.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:15 PM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by Vladglad
the transmission is fine i just dont want to say how i cracked the bearing but the rest of the thing is fine i just need to replace this bearing thats all and thanks for the pics
Well, now you have to tell us what you did to the bearing!
Old 05-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

If you can't get it off with tapping the shaft onto a 2x4 you could go for either of the following pullers:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/P...-Set/8160483.p

or

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/P...ller/8045983.p
Old 05-21-2014, 03:39 PM

Yep, gear pullers work, but slide hammers are easier. Since there's little chance you'll need that tool again, I'd just rent whatever variation you can get from your local Advanced or Auto Zone.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i used a gear puller and i took it off and replaced it everything went good.
i think hahaha so then i put the case on and everything. And i cant get the pin thingy to get in the groove and i tightened two bolts from opposite sides. To bring on down a little still doesn't want to snap in so i got a rubber mallet and hit the shaft a bit to see if it would move up still nothing any ideas maybe i put it on wrong ???

(ill be embarrassed to say how i messed up that bearing up lets just say young and stupid hhaha )
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Hysterically Calm

You have to spread that ring REAAALLLY wide open and it will slide down a little onto the shaft. You will know it is partly on the shaft because it won't close to what you see now, it will stay pretty wide open. Then you flip the case over and lightly drop it on a piece of wood and you will here it snap into place.

If you are using the proper anaerobic gasket maker (hondabond or TheRightStuff grey) you only have 5 minutes after putting the bead on to get that case closed up. After that you have to clean the goop off, place a new bead and try again.

The hardest part I found was opening the clip enough to get it started on the shaft.

Snap ring pliers came in handy but still was tricky.

Good luck.

Even though, when I look at your pic, it looks like it's started... The ends are pretty wide open. Have you tried turning the case upside down and lightly dropping it on a chunk of 2x4 or 4x4 to see if it clicks into place?
Old 05-22-2014, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
You have to spread that ring REAAALLLY wide open and it will slide down a little onto the shaft. You will know it is partly on the shaft because it won't close to what you see now, it will stay pretty wide open. Then you flip the case over and lightly drop it on a piece of wood and you will here it snap into place.

If you are using the proper anaerobic gasket maker (hondabond or TheRightStuff grey) you only have 5 minutes after putting the bead on to get that case closed up. After that you have to clean the goop off, place a new bead and try again.

The hardest part I found was opening the clip enough to get it started on the shaft.

Snap ring pliers came in handy but still was tricky.

Good luck.

Even though, when I look at your pic, it looks like it's started... The ends are pretty wide open. Have you tried turning the case upside down and lightly dropping it on a chunk of 2x4 or 4x4 to see if it clicks into place?
Got it to snap into place flipped it over and hit the shaft with rubber mallet and it snapped into place,yup sealed it off with the red colored gasket sealer its high temp but someone said theres no differences between the blue colored one and red
Thanks again for the help
Old 05-22-2014, 05:59 AM
Hysterically Calm

The Red and Blue is the standard old RTV and is not Anaerobic. You might experience case leakage down the road, might take a couple of years.

Auto manufacturers switched to the anaerobic gasket makers quite a few years ago do to it's success rate over regular RTV. Regular RTV doesn't always maintain it's seal for the long haul.

If you do experience a leak, look for Permatex "The Right Stuff" grey. There is a black but that is supposed to be for domestics. Not really sure what or if there is a difference between the grey and black "The Right Stuff" being domestics use aluminum heads and blocks etc now a days. But it will provide you a seal that last the duration of your tranny.

Cheers.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
The Red and Blue is the standard old RTV and is not Anaerobic. You might experience case leakage down the road, might take a couple of years.

Auto manufacturers switched to the anaerobic gasket makers quite a few years ago do to it's success rate over regular RTV. Regular RTV doesn't always maintain it's seal for the long haul.

If you do experience a leak, look for Permatex "The Right Stuff" grey. There is a black but that is supposed to be for domestics. Not really sure what or if there is a difference between the grey and black "The Right Stuff" being domestics use aluminum heads and blocks etc now a days. But it will provide you a seal that last the duration of your tranny.

Cheers.
Thanks for tip ill use that stuff the next time i have to do something with transmion,probably wont have this engine for a long time :p
Thanks agian for the tip