Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rust on wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rust on wheel studs

Will taking off and putting on your wheels in the rain cause wheel studs to rust with close-ended (prolly not the correct term) lug nuts? you know, cause the water gets trapped in the threading and the lug nut keeps it in there.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: rust on wheel studs (deviant1)

No more then open ended...if I understand you.... Do not use anti-seize etc. as a thread protector.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rust on wheel studs (alotawatts)

that wont harm the studs with what little rain would get on them
Old 01-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rust on wheel studs (alotawatts)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alotawatts &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No more then open ended...if I understand you.... Do not use anti-seize etc. as a thread protector. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it can be used if used properly....

ie.

It should be understood that the subject of torque tension loading is beyond the scope of this document. The information here supplied is an acceptable guide for normal conditions; for critical applications, however, further information and research will be necessary. In preparing this guide to torque values, the following basic assumptions have been made:

(a) bolts and nuts are new, standard finish, uncoated and not lubricated*

(b) the load will be 90% of the bolt yield strength

(c) the coefficient of friction (µ) is 0.14

(d) the final tightening sequence is achieved smoothly and slowly, until the torque tool indicates full torque has been obtained.

* If lubrication has been applied to the bolt and/or the nut (other than the normal protective oil film), multiply the recommended torque by the appropriate factor shown in the table.

Example: bolt and nut are both phosphated; required torque = torque recommended x 0.75

http://www.norbar.com/NTTI/MainMenu.htm
Old 01-05-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: rust on wheel studs (chris c)

Im not talking about anti-seize liquid. Im talking about rain falling on the studs when you have the lug nuts off. When you put the lug nut back on, the water/rain that was on the stud threading will be locked inbetween the stud and the lug nut, thus trapping water in there. Will that evaporate or stay in there causing rust? I know the lug nuts can get pretty hot and I dont think the lug nut creates an air tight bond with the stud. Just wondering cause I rotated my tires in the rain the other day.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^ yes, it has happened to me and it sucked. i had to get 2 of them replaced
Old 01-06-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: rust on wheel studs (photec2)

anyone else have this happen after putting wheels on in the rain?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wait until it stop raining or throw some grease on the stud and inside the lug nut. And even if water gets in there its gonna just evaporate.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rust on wheel studs (90blackcrx)

i wouoldn't put anti-seize on studs, had a couple friends that used anti-seize and snapped the studs while impacting them on.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: rust on wheel studs (photec2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by photec2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^^ yes, it has happened to me and it sucked. i had to get 2 of them replaced</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you have open ended lug nuts? My common sense is telling me it will just evaporate on thru the threading, but then again, i dont want to be replacing studs
Old 01-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rust on wheel studs (doublejz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doublejz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouoldn't put anti-seize on studs, had a couple friends that used anti-seize and snapped the studs while impacting them on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it was more of the impacts fault then the antiseize.

Just use regular grease, stop freaking out about something so simple. Take off the wheel and see if its rusting, if it is use a wire wheel brush.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deviant1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

did you have open ended lug nuts? My common sense is telling me it will just evaporate on thru the threading, but then again, i dont want to be replacing studs</TD></TR></TABLE>

no i had OEM ones
Old 01-07-2005, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doublejz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouoldn't put anti-seize on studs, had a couple friends that used anti-seize and snapped the studs while impacting them on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well ****, the torque spec on the lugnut is around 85lb/ft. impact gun, while great for removing lugnuts is not the best of choices one can make upon reinstalling lugnuts [unless a torque bar is used or the gun is dialed to the stated torque].
Old 01-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rust on wheel studs (chris c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
well ****, the torque spec on the lugnut is around 85lb/ft. impact gun, while great for removing lugnuts is not the best of choices one can make upon reinstalling lugnuts [unless a torque bar is used or the gun is dialed to the stated torque]. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, I actually heard ( from a shop owener ) the torque specs were 65ft/lb but I would have to look in my manual to make sure.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

80 ft lbs sir. A torque stick is a must when putting wheels on with an impact gun. Okby
Old 01-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deviant1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone else have this happen after putting wheels on in the rain?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I've done rain / snow / whathaveyou. No rusting of the lugs on. I've started to use bearing lube on them now though.

I think that had to do with the impact gun more than anything.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yep, I actually heard ( from a shop owener ) the torque specs were 65ft/lb </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's 80 ft/lb.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rust on wheel studs (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's 80 ft/lb.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I'm sure it is, I never trust any shops anyways.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

impacting them on? (with a torque bar? maybe)

i had a seasoned honda mechanic do work on my car once, and he put anti-seize on my lug nuts once. since then, i've had ZERO trouble with lug nuts and studs. now with all my wheel installs, i use a tiny bit of anti-seize.

wheels studs are made of hardened steel. they won't break due to simple surface rust. however, they will break if over tightened/torqued (seized lugs, too powerful of an impact wrench) , over or heat cycled greatly (ie lots of heavy braking, dragging brakes)
Old 01-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yep, I actually heard ( from a shop owener ) the torque specs were 65ft/lb but I would have to look in my manual to make sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would sound about right with the anti-sieze on the studs. the torque spec is 85 lb/ft on the lugnut. when you use a lubricant on the studs the required torque needed decreases.

with the anti-seize it may be around 80% that's needed putting the required torque right around 65 lb/ft [that is something that needs to be looked up though].

a table such as below would help:

http://www.norbar.com/pdf_file...e.pdf