Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which Route To Fix Wiring, Info Needed ~

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Which Route To Fix Wiring, Info Needed ~

Ok so if you dont know my problem then heres a short version. The wiring harness coming off my ecu was attacked by a ridiculous amount of wire-taps "blue vampire clips" from the dumbshit previous owner, my tuner believes this is causing resistance in the wiring and wont allow my hondata to connect properly with his lab-top. I was gonna leave my car there and have them do it but i got to thinking and i honestly dont wanna pay some-1 $60 an hour @ 3-5 hours and i dont see how in gods name it would take that long to fix the problem to begin with. Plus they wanna charge me $125 to do a valve adjustment and i just got an aem fuel rail for $30 locally that im gonna add before tuning which they also wanna charge too much for the install. With that said im gonna call up there today and go pick it up, ill fix the wiring myself as he would have done "maybe" and do the valve adjustment "never done 1 before but a buddy has the tool", and install the fuel rail. Then ill bring it back up there for tuning.

How-ever im curious as to how you think i should go about fixing the wiring issue. He told me he was gonna cut each end of the wires in the area with the taps section and solder in a new wire and then heat-shrink it. I was wondering sense its just wire taps and there easily removable...couldnt i just remove all the damm tap's and then wrap in electrical tape or would that cause issues or be the ghetto way? Id like to just remove them and then heat-shrink it how-ever i dont know if they make heat-shrink in a "Wrap" form or if its all in tubes in which case id have to cut the wire anyways to slide the shrink over the strayed wire area' anyways.

If they make a heat shrink that is a wrap style just kinda like tape then i dont see the point in removing a section out of each wire and soldering in a new piece. Id imagine soldering in a new piece might cause more problems or "restriciton" then just leaving the OEM wire as it is and shrinking it sense the only problem is there t-taps which can be removed'. So do they make a wrap style heat shrink?

I dont know a whole alot about wiring but im not afraid to learn, i also dont have much soldering experience but ive got all the proper tools and some free time over the weekend. They told me they wouldnt be able to work on it until monday anyways so i see no point in paying them $125 to do a valve adjustment when i can do it in 30 minutes with the right tool "or so im told it takes 30 mins", and probably the wiring in an hour'. Saving myself about 365 bucks.

Also, as far as the wiring etc goes. Is there anyway to test to make sure the correct voltage for each wire off my ecu is correct? Does what i said make any sense? I dont know how the wiring off the ecu actually works as far as controlling the sensors and so fourth' so i dunno if each wire has a set voltage level or how exactly that is measured. Ive got a multi-meter and with the taps there i could easily check for a signal with the multimeter. But then again, i could be talking out my ***'

You need NOT post unless your posting useful information

Thank-You in Advance

ps: what guage wiring is it coming off the ecu harness'?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Which Route To Fix Wiring, Info Needed ~ (digital sol)

#1. It's laptop. You put it on top of your lap and use it.

#2. You are correct about the valve adjustment - just do it yourself. It might take an hour at the most and is easy.

#3. The t-taps might be causing the problem, but simply removing them will not fix it. It was the act of installing them, not them just being there and chillin', which might have done something to the wiring. I do not know of wrappable shrink tubing...just comes in tube form. I also haven't bothered to look for it though. As for testing the wiring, yes you can use a meter to make sure voltage isn't being dropped across connections (like the t-tap).