Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Messed up wiring. Radical solution.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messed up wiring. Radical solution.

I bought a crx that has a 95 integra ls swap. However it seems like the guy who owned was a cheap bastard. He kept the same ecu and instead of getting a wiring harness he just cut and spliced a whole bunch of wires and ****. Now it throws codes and runs rich and sputters at idle (on throttle it runs perfectly). My mechanic cant make heads or tails of it.

I figured that im gonna put a turbo on it im gonna need a new computer anyways just to run hondata, so i might as well go all the way and get a stand alone (AEM EMS looks good for the price). Plus im gonna get a whole new 95 integra wiring for the salvage yard.

Whats the best way to go about doing this? Im no good with wiring and stuff and I dont wanna ruin my motor. Should I take it to a tuning shop (dynospot in san jose) and have them install the wiring harness and computer on the spot so I can get an initial tuning? Or should I take it to any ol mechanic and and try to tune it myself (AEM comes with some default tuning setups). Or is all this just a crazy idea? What about a wideband O2?

My goal here is to get my car running as reliably as possible before I put in the turbo. Im willing to spend the dough if it will pay off in the end.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Messed up wiring. Radical solution. (nelziq)

ok first... if ur gonna buy a new harness.. dont buy the integra.. or at least get a new harness for the crx. and u wanna fit the crx harness to the ls motor... thats the general rule.. use the harness for the car and fit it to the engine.

if u know to strip wire, use a soldering iron, solder, heat shrink, and electical tape, do it urself.
but if not, and u got the money, take it to a good shop and have them rewire the whole car. then im sure that shop will tune the aem ems for u.(once u get it)
Old 10-03-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Messed up wiring. Radical solution. (hondaZvic)

I dont get it. Why use the CRX harness? The integra harness should plug right into the aem ems right?

Integra 92-95 AEM EMS + Integra wiring harness + Integra motor =

I think???
Can anyone confirm this??
Old 10-03-2003, 09:43 AM

you will have to convert it form obd0 to obd 1. then it will plug in. you can buy an adapter harness that makes it easy. i would get another crx wiring harness so it plugs into everything like your guage cluster climate control, ect. the integra harness will not plug in to any of your car except for the motor. your car is obd 0. that is why it still has the crx computer in it. the guy must have been to cheap to convert it. an obd1 integra computer will not plug into it. so i suggest you get a whole new crx wiring harness and an obd0 to obd1 conversion harness and then your ems will plug into it no problem. oh and your car must run like **** on that ecu. i bet i would feel 100% better with and integra ecu.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:39 PM

You guys should make the distinction if you're talking about engine harnesses or chassis harness.

-PHiZ
Old 10-04-2003, 02:47 PM

Ahh! I took a look under the floorboard and its even worse than I thought! Its a PR4 i.e a 91 integra ecu??!?!

Question: Would it be easier to get an integra harness and just convert what i need for the dash rather than convert the engine stuff?
On the otherhand, with the crx harness I can use the AEM wideband o2 instead of doing a 4 wire to 1 wire conversion. Anything else I would need to rewire for a crx harness?

Overall, CRX harness or 95 integra harness? This goes with an AEM EMS and possibly a wideband O2.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:22 PM

Gah! This keeps getting more complicated.

According to http://jkobdconversionharness.com/ in a DX you need to convert DPFI to MPFI if you wanna use the conversion harness. This is making the integra harness sound like a better idea. How hard is it get the integra harness to work with my gauge cluster and stuff?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:24 AM

Default Re: (nelziq)

So can I just use the Si or HF harness and plug that into the obd0 to obd1 conversion harness? Would that work. Please I need help with this.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:50 AM

Default Re: (nelziq)

you are going to have to rewire your whole car. get a crx wiring harness for the chassis and the motor. than add the neccessary wires to convert it for the integra motor. then the conversion harness will plug right in to the stock wiring harness. only a crx wiring harness will plug into you guage cluster.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (IntegraLStuner)

If your going stand alone fuel and Hondata, then have Hondata do your wiring. I'm pretty sure they sell wiring kits for their set ups. Adding wiring blows, Ive done it and blown up an ECU, so don't do it if your not educated on that. You could rewire the entire car with Integra stuff, but your going to have things that wont plug in, for instance your gauge cluster, etc. SO you will need to add the wires whether you like it or not. You can get a jumper from one of the sponsors on HT. OBD0-OBD1 and youll plug and play, but other than that it's touch and go. Get yourself a good wiring diagram preferrably from Honda and Acura since you wont get the Integra diagram from most hondas, for some reason they say they dont have them..... figures.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nelziq &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats the best way to go about doing this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like he got rid of the car to you for a reason... Well you have it now so let's figure out the best way to do this. Is the wiring chop job done on the engine harness or down at the ECU plugs on the chassis harness or both?
If the engine harness is chopped up, but the chassis harness is only mild, I would just get another unmodded 88-91 Civic/CRX engine harness and fix any of the wiring on the chassis side back to stock. If you car was originally MPFI then you will need an 88-91 Civic Si or CRX Si/HF engine harness. If it was DPFI then you'll need a Civic DX/STD or a CRX DX engine harness.
Now if you have a chopped up cabin harness, you would have 2 options: Replace the entire chassis harness with the matching DPFI or MPFI harness then use the matching engine harness. If you had a DPFI car, you could replace the chassis harness with a 88-91 Civic Si or CRX Si/F and use the matching engine harness which would eliminate the need to do the DPFI to MPFI wiring.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My goal here is to get my car running as reliably as possible before I put in the turbo. Im willing to spend the dough if it will pay off in the end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will definitely pay off to get all the wiring bugs worked out before adding the turbo which would only make the headaches worse if you don't. If you weren't on the other side of the country I could rewire it for you.