Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rod bearing colors, d16z6

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rod bearing colors, d16z6

ok so i took the cirdle out and all that and found that the color on the crank next to the rod that is bad is yellow, so how do i order that specific bearing? do i just call up honda and say i need a yellow rod bearing for my 94 civic..... for my number 4 piston(closest to crank pullies) and they will understand and get what i need? thanks
Old 08-15-2003, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rod bearing colors, d16z6 (tek_civic)

bump
Old 08-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 08-15-2003, 03:02 PM
can I haz?

get a manual... there are either numbers or letters stamped on your crank and then also numbers or letters on the rods. with the combination of the numbers and letters you go to the manual and look into the diagram for example a rod 3 and a crank b = green
Old 08-15-2003, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tek_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for my number 4 piston(closest to crank pullies)</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhm... i thought closest to dizzy was # 4 and closest to pulley/ timing belt side was # 1? wheni rebuilt my d16z6 about a year ago. i dont remember any of the bearings being special colors? hmm.... bump for you..... i would call and say that you need #1 cylinder rod bearings. both peices. actually. while it is apart. change them all? i think you might have to buy them in sets anyway. make sure your torque specs are right.... and they are dry and clean where the bearing meets the rod. snap into place. and then oil it up just a touch where it meets the crank .....
Old 08-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Order the yellow.. for your engine.. the color is the fitting for the bearing.. but then again always plastigauge it for fitmnet.

Another way to order is to read the number on the bottom of the block.. you will see 5 letters like cccaa or aaaaba ect ect.. then your rod has a number on it also.. you match the number to the letter and get your color.. now honda has this information so if you call them with that info they can color match it for you also. but since you have the color just call them with that and what engine it came from.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rod bearing colors, d16z6 (SOHC Beast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC Beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

uhm... i thought closest to dizzy was # 4 and closest to pulley/ timing belt side was # 1? wheni rebuilt my d16z6 about a year ago. i dont remember any of the bearings being special colors? hmm.... bump for you..... i would call and say that you need #1 cylinder rod bearings. both peices. actually. while it is apart. change them all? i think you might have to buy them in sets anyway. make sure your torque specs are right.... and they are dry and clean where the bearing meets the rod. snap into place. and then oil it up just a touch where it meets the crank .....</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't just call and say give me the rod bearing for the piston #1 . You have to match up the number and letter to get the corrcet color. And you do that using a helms manual. Depending on how old the the rods are, the size could have changed and that is why it was quoted earlier to use a plastic guage. But if the rod isn't that old go with the color you have (yellow).
Old 08-28-2003, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rod bearing colors, d16z6 (rig9896)

When you lubricate them use bearing grease, not oil
Old 08-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: rod bearing colors, d16z6 (BatuKing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Order the yellow.. for your engine.. the color is the fitting for the bearing.. but then again always plastigauge it for fitmnet.

Another way to order is to read the number on the bottom of the block.. you will see 5 letters like cccaa or aaaaba ect ect.. then your rod has a number on it also.. you match the number to the letter and get your color.. now honda has this information so if you call them with that info they can color match it for you also. but since you have the color just call them with that and what engine it came from.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dseries isn't on the bottom of the block like B series. They are on the side. Also, the numbers stamped on the block aren't for rod journals, they are for crank journals. You will find the rod journals stamped on the side of the rod as well as on the crankshaft. Wouldn't make much sense for Honda to stamp the rod journals on the block when all you would have to do is switch the crank and it would all be off.

Also, its most likely going to be a lot cheaper to simply order a set of "standards" such as ACL bearings. Honda wants $8 a side and you will need two sides, so $16 per rods. You can get a whole set of standards including rod and crank journals, as well as thrust washers for $100. You will still need to plastigauge them to check clearances but 9 times out of 10, they will fit just fine.