Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suspension tuning --- KYB AGX/Ground Control!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension tuning --- KYB AGX/Ground Control!

Has anyone messed around with their ride height/dampening settings of their AGX/GC setup? I have a 97 EX coupe with no weight reduction. I am taking my car in to get the tires rotated (Paradas on 16" Rota Sub-Zeros), and Im getting an alignment done while Im there so I want to get my setup feelin good. I have the 4-way adjustables in the front and 8-ways in the back. Anyone have suggestions for combinations on a daily driven coupe? I just want a good grippy ride with great handling. Here is a pic of the current ride height....

Old 08-27-2003, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Suspension tuning --- KYB AGX/Ground Control! (Rydaddy)

It always takes a few bumps to get some replies.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:11 PM

Its funny how everyone knows everything about the motor, but they dont know **** about the suspension (myself included!!).

Little help!
Old 08-27-2003, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its pretty much however you want the suspension to feel like. Just for daily driving comfort like 2-3 in the front and mebbe 5 for the rear. Drop the back down a lil bit more and raise the front up a tad, even it out.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rydaddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone messed around with their ride height/dampening settings of their AGX/GC setup? I have a 97 EX coupe with no weight reduction. I am taking my car in to get the tires rotated (Paradas on 16" Rota Sub-Zeros), and Im getting an alignment done while Im there so I want to get my setup feelin good. I have the 4-way adjustables in the front and 8-ways in the back. Anyone have suggestions for combinations on a daily driven coupe? I just want a good grippy ride with great handling. Here is a pic of the current ride height....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where are you getting your alignment done?
As far as the ride height goes, I personally like having the front a little lower than the back, looks better IMO. Though it will probably help to level your car to put more weight on the back wheels. Other than that I wouldn't really touch the GC's unless want to test different heights out, you don't like the way your car sits, or until you decide to get your car corner-weighted.

I don't think there is a height that is necessarily the best, you want to go as low as you can without sacrificing its road-worthyness or too much shock travel...
Now about your shocks, what you should really do is experiment with different rates on the front and the rear. for example set them to 3 in the front and 4 in the rear and go driving to get a feel for it. then drive around for a couple of days on that setting, when you're ready to go out driving again, change your rates to 2 in the front an 6 in the rear...
If you're really particular about how your ride feels, and it sounds like you are, you are going to want to play with it a bunch instead of have somebody just set it to something and leave it in hopes of having it be a tight ride.

PS: Nice car
BTW: it looks like you're driving REAALLY FAST!!! right into a curb! haha, nice photochop!
Old 08-27-2003, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Suspension tuning --- KYB AGX/Ground Control! (Black93DelSolSi)

Yeah....I like a little bit of rake on the coupes. I think it looks a little better. I have messed around with the ***** a little bit and changed the dampening. I was just curious to see if anyone had found a setting they really liked.

I am getting my alignment done at America's Tire Company (I think). I am having my tires rotated there, so I figured they can do alignments too.

Thanks for the props .
Old 08-27-2003, 07:28 PM

kinda off topic but........where can i get that little claw tool to move the coilover up and down??? My GC's are impossible to move with only my hand! Anyone know why or how i can fix this? TIA
Old 08-27-2003, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Suspension tuning --- KYB AGX/Ground Control! (SWFTSHIFTER)

you have to loosen the GC's with an allen wrench, adjust it, then tighten it back.
nice coupe any idea what the GC spring rates are for the civic.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Suspension tuning --- KYB AGX/Ground Control! (civic_tuner)

yea i loosened the allen bolt, but the thing is still very hard to move. Thats why i thought i needed the clamp thingy
Old 08-27-2003, 11:58 PM

i have the exact same setup on my 94 coupe (AGX with GC adjustable springs). i have mine turned all the way down on the softest setting for street driving. great smooth ride, very responsive. a little bouncy on some roads that are just crap anyways, but not too bad.

remember, that the lower you drop the car, the better it will handle, but the more it will bounce on a shitty road. same thing with the shocks, the more you turn them up, the harder they will be, and they won't absorb the rebound of the springs on the road, causing your car to bounce.

imo, your car is looking great, i would just lower the back a tiny bit to try to get it to match the front, cuz right now it is waaaaaay higher, and it looks like you're driving a 69' barracuda or something.

good looking car though!!!
Old 08-28-2003, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (twinturbobb)

I have KYB AGX with H&R race springs... I have them set at 2F 4R....
Old 08-28-2003, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for the best handling possible you would want to get the car cornerweighted and take full advantage of having coilovers , for the alignment 1/16" toe out on EACH SIDE up FRONT will net you slightly more grip and no excessive tire wear.

0 toe in the rear or the car will get loose at higher speeds and be very unstable.

I run my KYB's on 2F/4R , thats on 350 lb GC's all around with a 22mm rear sway.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension tuning --- KYB AGX/Ground Control! (Doctor CorteZ)

I'd be careful of how big a drop you do on the KYBs I hear they blow pretty easy at 2" or more
Old 08-28-2003, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Suspension tuning --- KYB AGX/Ground Control! (Happyman)

Weapon-R Dual Spring Circut Pro w/KYB AGX

I have mine set on 3 front five rear. Happy, just wish Guam roads werent absolute ****. Would not recommend these coilovers without KYB AGX or Tokico Illumina's. I say this because the spring rates are pretty high on these things.

*modified = so image would show
Old 08-28-2003, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension tuning --- KYB AGX/Ground Control! (Guam_CiviC619)

I'm running Eibach Road Race on 4/8 KYB AGX's. I run 3 up front and 8 in the back. Those RR springs are insane.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Suspension tuning --- KYB AGX/Ground Control! (jolt-tsp)

like mentioned, the best way to take advantage of the coilovers is to have the car set on some scales. However, if it is just a street car and wont see much time on the track, i wouldnt bother.

As for alignment, depends totally on the way you drive, and what you plan to do with the car. Again if it is strictly a street, i would leave the alignment stock. If you auto-x or track it, max camber in front should be about -1.5, not sure what you can get out the rear. A little toe will help the turn in, but i personally wouldnt run that much toe on a street car for tire wear reasons.

I have koni yellows, and gc's(350f/400r) and a 23mm rear sway and i drive with everything on the lowest setting for the street. Ride is fine, gets bouncy on shitty roads but not that bad.

At the track i kept things conservative, with the dampers full stiff up front and and about 3/4 on the rear. Car handled great and was still pretty forgiving.

I would think if you kept the dampers at a ratio of 1:2 f/r the car should handle pretty good. But the only to really tell is on a track.

Mike
Old 08-28-2003, 10:33 AM

oh hey, a bit of advise, don't put your fronts on full soft and your rears on the stiffest setting because you might unexpectedly have your rear end slide out in a turn or during evasive maneuvering.

I've only heard of this happening once, anybody think this is good/bad advice? (not trying to hijack thread, only putting up a flame shield )
Old 08-28-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension tuning --- KYB AGX/Ground Control! (Black93DelSolSi)

Ya, if your back is stiffer than your front you're more likely to lose it during cornering. But also if you have bad underteer than stiffen it up. Thats why mine are full tight in back and only 3, sometimes 2 in the front.