Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Reverse lights won't come on (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse lights won't come on (searched)

after searching through archives, i didn't find what i was looking for... well i need to fix my reverse lights i checked fuses and light bulbs everything is fine, im guessing the reason is i have an auto engine harness with a manual car and a manual swap (d16y7), but now my question is where do i start and how do i get them to work again?

edit: the car is a 97 civic dx
Old 07-22-2005, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Reverse lights won't come on (ekx4)

Crap I've seen this question/answer somewhere in the FAQ's, I think it has something to do with a switch, I'll see if I can find it....
Old 07-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reverse lights won't come on (Boosted-EH2)

thanks, but my car is manual and im using an auto harness what would this have to do with a switch?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, how does the car know when to switch on the reverse lights? The clutch switch needs to get wired to the old auto gear selector switch wire. I think you should head over to sohchonda.com and search for auto to manual swap.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reverse lights won't come on (FizzGiGG55123)

im guessing you read nothing that i posted?

auto engine harness
not auto car.
manual with manual swap.

so where do i start to get the damn reverse lights working?
Old 07-23-2005, 04:31 AM

i know there is a switch on most cars' trannsmissions that turn the reverse lights on when you put the car in reverse. i would guess that you might need to get a manual harness, although i can't imagine they are all that different. if you find out where the wire from the switch on the tranny goes to, you should be able to solder it into the harness, although i am not positive about any of this info. i would find someone very familiar with wiring and electronics because these kinds of problems can be very difficult to pin down. are you saying that you had a civic that was manual originally, then you swapped in a different engine/tranny that was manual also, and then you used an automatic harness? if that is the case, you prob. need a manual harness, although regardless of auto or manual, the reverse lights come on with both kinds of trannies obviously, the switch might be a little different though. sorry if this was of no help.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reverse lights won't come on (heinrich schnitzel)

thanks, but thats not what im lookin for.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:26 PM

just get a chilton's find the wire color and wire it straight to the fuse box. There's probably a wiring problem somewhere if all the fuses and bulbs are fine.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Reverse lights won't come on (Shirley Temple)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FizzGiGG55123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, how does the car know when to switch on the reverse lights? The clutch switch needs to get wired to the old auto gear selector switch wire. I think you should head over to sohchonda.com and search for auto to manual swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This has absolutely nothing to do with the clutch switch.

I just posted this last night on another thread hope its of some use to you.

Ok dude here goes:
It sounds like the previous owner liked his work done poorly. Let me see if I can help you, this is the way I did it.

In the engine bay, locate the back up light swich on the trany. Its at about the centerline of the transmission as you look at it from the front; it should be covered with a black boot, have two wires coming out of it terminating at a 2 pin connector. What I did here was mate this plug with the existing plug for the lock-up torque converter solenoids, they plug right into each other. This way, I didnlt have to run any wires from the engine compartment into the cabin.

I don't exactly remember whar color the wires for the lock up torque converter were but any service manual can tell you. Now, youlre going to find these wires at the ecu plug (make SURE that you have the correct wires) and cut them, as you no longer need the ecu to control a lcktq conv. Splice a some more wire in to extend these two so that they reach the plug at the old auto shifter. You can run them under the carpet.

Now, at the plug where you old AT shifter sat, locate the green/black wires, there should be two of them. Connect these two wires together and then to one of the two wires you previously extended.

The one leftover wire goes to a constant 12v source. I'm sorry, this is where my memory fails me. I forger which color the correct wire is. But again, any service manual ought to tell you. If you have a helms, just compare the a/t and m/t back up light circuit diagrams and you'll know what to do. That's how I figured it out.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reverse lights won't come on (HalfAnP)

ok, halfanp, thats sorta the idea but.. the car was never AUTO NEVER ONCE AUTO and i dont have that auto switch box crap, i just have the auto engine harness... so do i have to go buy that auto box thing your talking about, or what do i do now?