Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replaced Distibutor, Still Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Replaced Distibutor, Still Leaking

Hey all,

Wanted to pose this question to the forum as I am a bit stumped. Completed a full rebuild of my D16Z6 last fall, and always had a small oil leak from the distributor area. Replaced the o-ring and helped a little, but still saw oil leaking down the top of the transmission. This spring when I took the car out of winter hibernation, I replaced the distributor all together after seeing I had oil IN the distributor, indicative of a bad bearing seal. Problem solved right? Nope. Installed new Cardone distributor from RockAuto on Sunday, adjusted and thought I would be all good. Yesterday, I get home from work and pop the hood to see oil leaking out of the stupid thing, from the weep hole and on the cap mating face. Is is coincidence that my brand new distributor is bad? Positive pressure in the top end crossed my mind, but the PCV was replaced with brand new during the rebuild, and the breather on the backside of the motor was fully cleaned out at the same time. Can anyone lend some ideas on what could be the problem? It's driving me nuts. (No CEL's by the way.)
Old 04-03-2019, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replaced Distibutor, Still Leaking

Anyone?
Old 04-03-2019, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

"Your car be done." That brand is known for sending out a lot of dud parts. Go back to the store and trade it for another one just like it.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
"Your car be done." That brand is known for sending out a lot of dud parts. Go back to the store and trade it for another one just like it.
Thank you very much for the reply mk378, I appreciate your insight. I was concerned that someone would say that... I have worked on cars of all types for years, and have never used a Cardone product. I will return it and instead go through my local Advance Auto instead of through RockAuto. Again, thank you for the response.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You may be better off sourcing a used OEM unit and replacing any worn bits. I’m not a huge fan of aftermarket dist, but honestly I’ve personally never used one so, a biased opinion.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BiggieBert
You may be better off sourcing a used OEM unit and replacing any worn bits. I’m not a huge fan of aftermarket dist, but honestly I’ve personally never used one so, a biased opinion.
I've gotta agree with you, mu experience so far with aftermarket distributors has not been a good one.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Ive had good luck with aftermarket new units, however rebuilt ones are junk
Old 04-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Easy fix if your old distributor is leaking from inside, I just done this not too long ago. All you do is replace the o-ring inside the distributor. I believe the part number is BH3888. Take everything out inside the distributor just remember how they go back in, then you’ll see the seal inside. Look up on here on how to guide plenty of info.

When you put the seal in don’t shove it all the way in and bottom it out, instead leave like 1-2mm space.
Ive done this so many times and when I put it all the way in and bottom it out, it always starts to leak, until I found on here where you don’t bottom it out and it’ll seal around the shaft better.

i put my seal in 4mths ago and still no leaks. And I know how annoying that sh*t is too. So really glad I finally got it fixed!!!
Old 04-04-2019, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K20.ek
Easy fix if your old distributor is leaking from inside, I just done this not too long ago. All you do is replace the o-ring inside the distributor. I believe the part number is BH3888. Take everything out inside the distributor just remember how they go back in, then you’ll see the seal inside. Look up on here on how to guide plenty of info.

When you put the seal in don’t shove it all the way in and bottom it out, instead leave like 1-2mm space.
Ive done this so many times and when I put it all the way in and bottom it out, it always starts to leak, until I found on here where you don’t bottom it out and it’ll seal around the shaft better.

i put my seal in 4mths ago and still no leaks. And I know how annoying that sh*t is too. So really glad I finally got it fixed!!!
That is some really good info thanks! Already sending my 2nd Cardone back to Rockauto... Hopefully the new Carquest one I am looking to pick up from Advance Auto does the trick. If not, I will look into that seal! Thanks for the help.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea bro give it a try, it’s cheaper than $100+. Just know the OEM distributor will last longer than aftermarket. $10 seal is worth saving that OEM distributor.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K20.ek
Yea bro give it a try, it’s cheaper than $100+. Just know the OEM distributor will last longer than aftermarket. $10 seal is worth saving that OEM distributor.
Good thing I haven't tossed the OEM distributor yet!
Old 04-04-2019, 07:33 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

There's an internal seal, was that replaced too?
Old 04-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
There's an internal seal, was that replaced too?
The now 2 replacement distributors that I have tried had new internal bearing seals as well as new o-ring seals on the mating component to the cam through the valve head.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wanted to follow-up with everyone that took the time to comment and provide help. I sent back the 2nd distributor from RockAuto (Cardone) and purchased a Carquest distributor from Advance Auto. Installed the Carquest product and the leaking stopped! Problem solved.