Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replaced cut EX harness for LX 4dr harness......Same problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced cut EX harness for LX 4dr harness......Same problems!!!

My interior harness was cut at the ECU plugs, I recently bought some plugs on HT and spliced them together. My car ran like s*%t! So just yesterday I tore out the whole harness and replaced the stock EX harness for stock LX 4dr Non-Vtec harness, it still runs the same.

This is some of the symptoms. When you run the car it blows out a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust, and when you rev the motor it spits out nasty black **** that looks like oil. When I switched the harnesses I did notice a lot less sputtering and missing in the motor. But nowhere near the way it used to run!

So my question is, do you guys think it is the harness I put in thats still causing the motor to run like **** or is something up with the motor? Note: My car ran like a charm before theives cut and stole my ECU.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Replaced cut EX harness for LX 4dr harness......Same problems!!! (EJ1Racing.tk)

Sounds like some sensors have their connections crossed, throwing any codes?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Replaced cut EX harness for LX 4dr harness......Same problems!!! (civic-4-ges)

There isnt any codes that flash, when I go to hook up the jumper wire to the plug and turn on the key the CEL just stays on steady. I dont know what the hell is going on. Any diagnostic suggestions anyone?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replaced cut EX harness for LX 4dr harness......Same problems!!! (EJ1Racing.tk)

maybe some wires were hooked up wrong and fried the ECU?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Replaced cut EX harness for LX 4dr harness......Same problems!!! (dohc notec)

I used my buddies P28 also and still, no better. I know my car needs a new head gasket because I just took off the head but do you guys think that the head gasket would cause it to run this bad. I have seen a bad head gasket make the car smoke quite a bit but not spit out out what looks like oil.

Thanks so far, hope this information helps diagnose the problem. Keep it coming!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:18 AM

Bump for bed time diagnostics!
Old 01-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1Racing.tk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know my car needs a new head gasket because I just took off the head but do you guys think that the head gasket would cause it to run this bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1Racing.tk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Note: My car ran like a charm before theives cut and stole my ECU.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

obviously it cant be the head gasket because your car ran fine before. i say its a wiring prob. check all connections. you said your car ran fine before the ECU was stolen and the wires were cut. the problem has got to be in the harness or ECU. maybe the EX harness is pinned differently. try to find an ex harness this way everything will be like it was before.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Replaced cut EX harness for LX 4dr harness......Same problems!!! (dohc notec)

I heard that the only thing different between an EX harness and an LX 4dr harness is the LX was non-vtec. All you had to do with this harness is hook up two wires tor the vtec. I havnt hooked up the wires yet, but I dont think that those two wires would be causing it to run this way. I dont think it is the harness that is making it run this way at all actually. But I dont know where to go from here, I dont know what else could cause my car to run this way. Thanks for trying to help so far guys.