Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Refresh My Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refresh My Motor

So i've just hit 100k on my b16.. and feel it's a high mileage motor now.. What should i do to internal of my motor in order to gain the lost power? (I mean here change the internal, ex. change the piston or piston ring etc)
All help will be appreciated..
Old 09-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Refresh My Motor (hondazcivix)

Do a tune up...plugs, wires, cap. rotor, fuel filter, fuel injector cleaner....change the timing belt and water pump if you haven't....I don't think you would want change your engine internals unless your car is burning oil or running bad.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeap tune up is a good idea. you can do a compression/leakdown test while youre at it. if its in good condition chances are its still as strong as it was in the beginning.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Refresh My Motor (Si_chRis)

agreed, doing a tune up will be a good idea, along with a compression test.
rebuild would be good if you are looking for more performance, like if you were going NA, or FI. other than that it'll be over kill.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si_chRis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do a tune up...plugs, wires, cap. rotor, fuel filter, fuel injector cleaner....change the timing belt and water pump if you haven't....I don't think you would want change your engine internals unless your car is burning oil or running bad.</TD></TR></TABLE> all tune up already done except the fuel filter, injector clean, and the most important thing : timing belt & water pump
i feel the motor still pulls strong.
thanks for the quick help guys
so, the point is i don't need rebulid/do the internal right?
Old 09-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondazcivix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> all tune up already done except the fuel filter, injector clean, and the most important thing : timing belt & water pump
i feel the motor still pulls strong.
thanks for the quick help guys
so, the point is i don't need rebulid/do the internal right?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rebuilds cost alot of money like in parts and labor...like if your compression/leakdown results come out fine, there is no need for a rebuild...I mean Honda engines still run fine at 100k if they're not beaten on previously or everyday.

If your motor is healthy...just keep it the way it is.

Like said before....if you want to rebuild your engine for performance reasons....that's your call...good luck with your decision.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si_chRis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Rebuilds cost alot of money like in parts and labor...like if your compression/leakdown results come out fine, there is no need for a rebuild...I mean Honda engines still run fine at 100k if they're not beaten on previously or everyday.

Like said before....if you want to rebuild your engine for performance reasons....that's your call...good luck with your decision. </TD></TR></TABLE> no, no it's not about more performance reason. i was just wondering if i need to do internal or not on this mileage.. and i guess i know the answer coz y'all help me (complete tune up as u guys suggest and compression test).
btw, i never abuse my motor, service on time, and feel the motor still pulls strong. i'm just paranoid coz this is my 1st b16 which is expensive for me.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si_chRis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Like said before....if you want to rebuild your engine for performance reasons....that's your call...good luck with your decision. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hell there are people who beat on their car daily and still nail 200k+ miles with no rebuild. not that id recommend that but just to prove how strong these motors are in stock form.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Refresh My Motor (iVteC_PoWeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iVteC_PoWeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hell there are people who beat on their car daily and still nail 200k+ miles with no rebuild. not that id recommend that but just to prove how strong these motors are in stock form. </TD></TR></TABLE> Oh ok, i know now that honda motors are strong. and my motor(&car) are all stock except DC header..

Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats young. My 97 d16y7 has alomst 171,000 on it with no leaks.
My other car. B-16 has 107,000 on it

Restore, silver can, in the auto stores seals cylinder walls. I use it on my dx civic
Old 09-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at 100k miles a honda is still a virgin
Old 09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iVteC_PoWeR)

Heh, my B16 has 245k on it and still runs strong, need to do a headgasket this winter, but other then that its good, but what Si_chRis said sounds like some things you should consider doing.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No to threadjack, but at what mileage do you guys recommend to change spark plugs/wires? I have about 120k miles on my motor (stock 97 civic ex) and I have already changed the timing belt and water pump, but not the plugs/wires.